What Wedge for sand?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I have always played a 54-56 out of the sand. I like the more bounce I have with those clubs and it really has helped me propel through the bunker. My sand play has always been pretty good, but yesterday all 3 of my playing partners played their 60. What do you use and why?

I mostly use my 56 degree SW for bunker shots, or for longer 40-50 yard shots I may use my GW. The only time I'll use my 60 degree LW is if I am short sided or have a big lip to carry over. I try to avoid the LW like the plague.

It depends on the course, and the layout.

If I play a Brauer designed course, you may have to play any club in your bag. He'll put a pot bunker on the edge of a fairway, or a shallow bunker that's still 200 yards out that you can hit a hybrid from.

For greenside, most of the time I'll use my LW, it's pretty much my go-to club for anything within 20 yards. I use it second only to my putter for the most strokes in a round.

56/10 SW unless the sand is packed solid then I'll use whatever club to chip off it (LW, etc).

I like to fly balls to the hole. I also have a tendency to take a pretty big swing and explode balls out of the sand. Shorter shots I'll play a lob wedge (60degree) 90% of the time but will also bust out the 56 degree.

I use my 60-degree. That's all I have past my 50 degree PW.

But I want to try this (it has a video on the page):

http://www.intheholegolf.com/store/lovett-sand-wedge.html?gcid=C11387x019

That reminds me a lot of a similar concept by Prince Golf:

http://www.princegolf.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23_24&products_id=2

I've fiddled around with one in the store, but not on the course. It makes a fantastic chipper as well, perfect for those bump-n-run shots.

• Admin
They both remind me of the old Alien wedge.

They both remind me of the old Alien wedge.

My father passed along his golf memorabilia stuff to me recently. Some good reads, but among them a videotape of the Alien wedge. I guess it's an infomercial; I haven't seen the need to watch it.

In my experience 56˚ is a common sand wedge. I played that until recently, when I switched to 58˚ for my sand wedge. Part of the reason for the switch was to ensure a sufficient spacing from my gap wedge. Might I say that I've had a lot of fun with the 58˚. I can thoroughly recommend it.

I used to have a 60˚ lob wedge which I found to be of little value on a lot of the Australian courses which have harder greens. It's not the easiest club to control either. Although not as 'spectacular' as a lob, bump and runs often can achieve more consistent results for short distance shots to the green than using a lob. Less chance of a mishit flying the green.

i use a 58*. it allows me to hit a lofted shot and stop it quickly and also hit the low shot that just makes it over the lip and rolls to the hole. i play each shot for different scenarios

AK, what bounce does your 58 have for your sand shots?

12* bounce

I use my 54* and 60* about 50/50 out of the sand. It really depends on the conditions of the shot, distance, amount of green to work with, need it to stop, down hill, etc. I practice enough with both that I can use both effectively even with varying bounce.

I had an original Alien Wedge! They were cool:>) Worked too!
Sand shots are my worse, so I just started working on them the past few weeks.

I typically play a 56/10 from the sand, under the lip I play a 60/06 lob on occasion.
Now many of the course I play have near hardpan traps, so anything goes in those!

I had an original Alien Wedge! They were cool:>) Worked too!
Sand shots are my worse, so I just started working on them the past few weeks.

I typically play a 56/10 from the sand, under the lip I play a 60/06 lob on occasion.
Now many of the course I play have near hardpan traps, so anything goes in those!

Best tip I ever got was not to look at the ball, but look at a spot 1 inch behind the ball. Of course, out the hard pan that wouldn't help too much.:D

I learned to play the sand by placing the ball on a dollar bill in the trap.
The ball on one end of the bill. Then you aim to hit the other end.

That makes sense. I dont think I would like that on the fairway, but in the bunker, that is perfect.

what angle of attack do you take? sweep or dig? cuz i think its decent on the fairway, but i would like something that is a bit more beneficial to my swing

Depends on the shot. But more of a dig. I prefer something with very low bounce in the fairway for my wedges.

ya thats what im going to get for my next wedges. i will probably get vokeys again cuz thats what i trust, but with less bounce in the 52* and a mid bounce in the 58*

Out of curiousity, if you have Vokeys and you are keeping the same loft, why get new ones?

i am going to get a different bounce 58*, but ur right i dont need another 52*. i dont know where to get my wedges refinished or how to do it myself tho, and my 52* has seen 2 seasons of a bunch of shots

A groove sharpener could fix the grooves. The outside aesthetics shouldnt matter.

Back