Hazard Ruling Question

banksfolsom

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently had a situation where I hit a ball in a natural hazard (Lateral I assume, red staked area) that had a lot of bushes, shrubs, and long grass. It is my understanding that when you are in a hazard you are not permitted to ground you club. Here is my question: My ball was lying down in deep natural grass (one-foot tall), am I allowed to touch the upper portions of the grass with my club in setting up to hit my shot? It would seem to me that my club would not be grounded if it were positioned two-three inches above the base of the long grass, while touching the upper portions of the grass but not the base of the grass?:confused2:

I would assume you could since that is not grounding your club...but not really positive.

Went into the rule book and found this
Decisions on the Rules of Golf
13-4/8 When club touches ground in grass in water hazard

Q. If a players ball lies in a water hazard, when is his club in tall grass considered to be touching the ground in the water hazard, in breach of Rule 13-4?

A. When the grass is compressed to the point where it will support the weight of the club (i.e. when the club is grounded).

Went into the rule book and found this
Decisions on the Rules of Golf
13-4/8 When club touches ground in grass in water hazard

Q. If a players ball lies in a water hazard, when is his club in tall grass considered to be touching the ground in the water hazard, in breach of Rule 13-4?

A. When the grass is compressed to the point where it will support the weight of the club (i.e. when the club is grounded).

^^^ knight got it. I will never forget this rule because of the 2006 U.S. Amateur where (eventual winner) Richie Ramsey "ground" his club in a hazard. Ramsey actually hit the ground during a practice swing IIRC, but the announcers discussed the rule ad naseum, and that's why I remember it.

Good question - glad to know the answer!

Back