NOVA_Hacker

Reaction score
Handicap
20ish
So I just had my first club fitting today and I have to admit I wasn't impressed. What are some red flags for you all?

I was there for 1.5-2 hours and he didn't put me on the launch monitor.

He didn't have me hit my own clubs to start.

He only had me hit 3 drivers, and no custom shafts to try with them.

Used a swing analyzer on my irons that he had to reset after every swing. And only showed me my swing once on his computer.

All-in-all I feel like he went over the basics with me (swing analyzer, swing speed contraption behind me when I swung, and put tape on bottom of the final irons I liked).

So I just had my first club fitting today and I have to admit I wasn't impressed. What are some red flags for you all?

I was there for 1.5-2 hours and he didn't put me on the launch monitor.

He didn't have me hit my own clubs to start.

He only had me hit 3 drivers, and no custom shafts to try with them.

Used a swing analyzer on my irons that he had to reset after every swing. And only showed me my swing once on his computer.

All-in-all I feel like he went over the basics with me (swing analyzer, swing speed contraption behind me when I swung, and put tape on bottom of the final irons I liked).

Where was this at?

Just outside of DC. Guy has a lot of credentials on his site/resume.

I will go along with Smith here gonna need some more information? Especially since I am in the NOVA Area.

Dulles Golf Center. Not trying to get the guy in trouble, but just curious to find out what things should be "expected" when you get fitted.

Maybe I thought there would be more to it? I was under the impression that you'd absolutely use the video monitor throughout the whole ordeal, along with specifics like launch, spin, etc.

Also, if a mod is reading this please move this to correct area (posted in this one by accident).

Dulles Golf Center. Not trying to get the guy in trouble, but just curious to find out what things should be "expected" when you get fitted.

Maybe I thought there would be more to it? I was under the impression that you'd absolutely use the video monitor throughout the whole ordeal, along with specifics like launch, spin, etc.

Also, if a mod is reading this please move this to correct area (posted in this one by accident).

No need to worry about getting the guy in trouble if you werent happy with the result then I would express your feelings to him and /or their supervisors. Never been through a fitting myself so I am no expert.

I hope that you get some resolution to this situation. Good luck

This is why you really have to do a lot of research. I personally don't care what someone's website says about them because they can put whatever they want on there. I like to see real reviews from real customers, similar to what you might find on THP. As far as the fitting, you are going to get different things at different places. The guy I go to has a Trackman and doesn't even use it because he's been fitting on that range for years and years. He has a trained eye and I trust him. It isn't all about the technology.

Is this the case with the guy you saw? Who knows. If the fitting was indoors and he wasn't able to see ball flight than that might be a little weird that he wasn't using any kind of tech. Did you have certain expectations going into this? Did you walk out with clubs?

This is why you really have to do a lot of research. I personally don't care what someone's website says about them because they can put whatever they want on there. I like to see real reviews from real customers, similar to what you might find on THP. As far as the fitting, you are going to get different things at different places. The guy I go to has a Trackman and doesn't even use it because he's been fitting on that range for years and years. He has a trained eye and I trust him. It isn't all about the technology.

Is this the case with the guy you saw? Who knows. If the fitting was indoors and he wasn't able to see ball flight than that might be a little weird that he wasn't using any kind of tech. Did you have certain expectations going into this? Did you walk out with clubs?

It was an outdoor driving range. And let me say the guy was super nice, I'm more or less wondering if there are certain things that should be done in every club fitting - if that makes sense. I didn't get the feeling that he gave me a lot of info on my swing (like I posted above).

I didn't buy because I want to hit the Altitudes and 825's again on a different day to see if they stand the test. Buying a club from one hitting session doesn't sit well with me for some reason, at least not after today.

Check out what Zenger went through. That's a good fitting IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

It was an outdoor driving range. And let me say the guy was super nice, I'm more or less wondering if there are certain things that should be done in every club fitting - if that makes sense. I didn't get the feeling that he gave me a lot of info on my swing (like I posted above).

I didn't buy because I want to hit the Altitudes and 825's again on a different day to see if they stand the test. Buying a club from one hitting session doesn't sit well with me for some reason, at least not after today.

That's good that you didn't buy if you weren't comfortable. Honestly dude, if you go back I would just talk to the guy. Ask him why he is doing what he is doing. If you don't understand something ask him to explain it. I may have been borderline annoying during my last fitting but I left with a ton of confidence in the clubs I chose. You could always do some more research and seek out a second opinion.

That seems like very few things accomplished for that much time in the fitting studio.

One thing I've come to find, is that everyone has a unique way of doing things. I'd almost be inclined to suggest three separate fittings with the average of the three as your best scenario.

There is a place, in Bethesda I believe, called Golf Care Center. Have heard a ton of good things about them. Sooner or later I am going down there with my son to get him fitted.

There is a place, in Bethesda I believe, called Golf Care Center. Have heard a ton of good things about them. Sooner or later I am going down there with my son to get him fitted.

I was going to mention this place too. If you don't mind the short drive. I've heard great things about it. I'm also in the DMV area.

I'm not sure what to say.

I know some fitters can do it by eye but I still like to see #'s so I can compare if things change later. Such as SS, ball spin, LA

My fitting I hit several driver heads and several shaft combos, irons was only different length/lie combos since I was getting my current set adjusted.

With you not getting any #'s or getting to hit different combos of shaft options I'd talk to someone else there. It's possible stock options fit you, but its still nice to see what doesn't work IMO.

Back