salisboss

RIP Jake 8/17/01-9/21/14
Reaction score
Handicap
Especially on iron shots I can create lag on my backswing but I lose it on the way down as the club head passes my shin because my wrists uncock. This causes alot of height (easy to stop on green) but a big loss in distance.

Any tips/drills would be much appreciated.

Especially on iron shots I can create lag on my backswing but I lose it on the way down as the club head passes my shin because my wrists uncock. This causes alot of height (easy to stop on green) but a big loss in distance.

Any tips/drills would be much appreciated.
If you hold the angle past your shin, you are in rare company. The club head natually releases and at the point you are mentioning, is a good point of release. It sounds more like we need to shallow your angle of attack into the ball. Try to take the club head away low and straight back as long as possible. this motion will be repeated on the down swing. The shallower angle will give you a lower ball with good spin and distance. It doesnt even need to be that drastic ort a change. You are just looking to keep the club head low through impact longer. A low slow take away can assist with this.

Now all that being said, if you are releasing the club higher, say hip area then we may have an issue but from what you have described I do not see that as the issue. good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Thanks. Yeah I get the head below my knees and then flip the head through impact. Will definitely try these tips out. I will try and post a video.

This video really helped me

I like this Mark Crossfield guy. His club reviews are great too. Tons of stuff on youtube.

This video really helped me

Thanks for sharing this video, jlukes.

I just had a little range session and used this drill as a pre-shot routine. My ball striking really improved over the course of the session (and the fun case of The Lefts from yesterday were nowhere to be found). Winner winner chicken dinner.

You should come down and play Mercer Oaks East with me and my buddies tomorrow morning!

Sorry playing Berkshire Valley with fireitup and Jackf.

I like the idea of his drill but I'm not a fan of the fundamental aspect of letting the lower body outrun the arms and hands like he has shown and promoted. The rotation he talks about is definitely required but in my experience the hands early release because they are out of position with the body. Generally they have gone from where they were at address (in front of the chest) to behind the body and right hip. The only way that the club can square to the golf ball from that position is to use the hands and throw the clubface (cast).

I would modify his drill in that instead of rotating the hips way out in front and delaying the arms, I would do the same basic move with the arms and hands in front of the chest. If you do it the same drill the way I'm mentioning you'll actually be able to exaggerate the retained wrist hinge much farther through the hitting area. Do it slow at first to get the positioning correct and then speed it up from there.

I like the idea of his drill but I'm not a fan of the fundamental aspect of letting the lower body outrun the arms and hands like he has shown and promoted. The rotation he talks about is definitely required but in my experience the hands early release because they are out of position with the body. Generally they have gone from where they were at address (in front of the chest) to behind the body and right hip. The only way that the club can square to the golf ball from that position is to use the hands and throw the clubface (cast).

I would modify his drill in that instead of rotating the hips way out in front and delaying the arms, I would do the same basic move with the arms and hands in front of the chest. If you do it the same drill the way I'm mentioning you'll actually be able to exaggerate the retained wrist hinge much farther through the hitting area. Do it slow at first to get the positioning correct and then speed it up from there.

Do you have a video? Having a hard time visualizing.

Do you have a video? Having a hard time visualizing.

No I don't, I'm sorry. Basically it's the same drill without letting the arms stay way out behind the body as he's shown. Here's a good video. He calls it the pump drill, it's basically the exact same thing I was talking about. Notice how the arms, specifically the right elbow stays in front of his body, not lost behind and trying to catch up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAef1L7rh0s

Back