Diane

Reaction score
Your ball lands in a bird's nest - what do you do?

What kind of bird?

Is the nest on the ground or in the tree? If it's on the ground play it as it lays, in the tree, if I can climb it and play the shot, I play it as it lays. :laughing:

Where is Fourputt? I give up.

If it was a bald eagle's nest that might complicate things.

Depends on a few things. Is the nest empty, and does the nest belong to a protected species of bird? What kind of stance might I have? I have hit shots out of empty birds nest on the ground. But I also believe a golfer would be entitled to free relief form the bird's nest. I'd go with rule #1-4 since the ball is not in a water hazard, or otherwise unplayable. Just a guess:comp:

Anything else in the nest--eggs, birds?

To give an honost answer you have to specify where this nest is located. I would think if it's on the ground you get free relief or you play it as it lays. If the nest is still in the tree I doubt you know your ball is in it so it would be a lost ball and I would assume you'd take a stroke and distance and hit your ball from the last place.

To give an honost answer you have to specify where this nest is located. I would think if it's on the ground you get free relief or you play it as it lays. If the nest is still in the tree I doubt you know your ball is in it so it would be a lost ball and I would assume you'd take a stroke and distance and hit your ball from the last place.

What if you were able to see the ball in the nest in the tree? Free drop?

What if you are able to see your ball in the water? Free drop?? I would think the same rule or similar rule would apply. :confused2: As for an answer, I don't have one.

You don't get a free drop if your ball is stuck in a tree do you? (Although technically, you can try to hit it!).

Last edited:
But I also believe a golfer would be entitled to free relief form the bird's nest. I'd go with rule #1-4 since the ball is not in a water hazard, or otherwise unplayable. Just a guess:comp:

I forgot to respond - that's the correct rule.

Back