Top 3 Innovations in Golf

TRyan

Granddaddy 2X | GOAT Cup Champ | Gray Bull Bound
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys,

I was curious what your top 3 innovations in golf of all time are. I haven't been around the game for near as long as many of you, so I will be curious to hear what everyone thinks. I know there have been tons of advancements in the golf ball, shafts, materials used, so lets hear em!

Hmmm, the new type of multi-layer, solid core balls

Perimeter weighted irons

Graphite shafts

Hmmm, the new type of multi-layer, solid core balls

Perimeter weighted irons

Graphite shafts

I thought for sure the perimeter weighted irons were a good one too, all of these in fact. I have never played with the old balata balls, but I imagine the golf ball has come a long way since then

Metal woods, SGI irons, different balls for everyone.

On a side note, moisture-wicking fabric.

Could one consider the different dimple patters on a golf ball an innovation? I wonder if that has had a big impact on today's game.

Shafts that affect the ball flight

Bigger heads in drivers = more forgiveness

I thought for sure the perimeter weighted irons were a good one too, all of these in fact. I have never played with the old balata balls, but I imagine the golf ball has come a long way since then

Remind me to bring you a couple of balata balls to try next time we play.

Balata's where awesome: you never knew what you'd get ;)

I'd say:
- Used materials (being graphite shafts, multicompound woods, outer layers for balls etc.)
- Usage of MOI for the design of clubs
- Good shoes!

Solid core golf ball.
Metal Woods
Graphite shafts

Soft spikes
Graphite shafts
Technology in fitting

Metal woods, SGI irons, different balls for everyone.

On a side note, moisture-wicking fabric.

Moisture wicking fabric is a good one. Crucial in warm climates for sure

graphite shafts, range finders/gps, the Hammer X driver lol jk metal woods

Sand wedge
Metal woods
Modern day golf ball

Multi compound grips
face inserts on putters
Sgi irons

Do you remember the picture during the #Grandaddy of Eli Callaway's first attempts at the perimeter weighted iron? Wowza!

Most have been said..... I would add cavity back irons...I remember when they first came out

Anser putter, perimeter weighted irons, graphite shafts.

Trackman/sophisticated swing analysis equipment. Scientifically proving how swing path, face angle, and angles of attack affect ball flight has done wonders for fitting and instruction, as well as allowing for immense adjustability of clubs.

Perimeter weighted irons.

Adjustable clubs, particularly drivers.

Cavity back irons, hybrids and graphite shafts.

Back