What is going on in the Outback

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The press article pretty much sums it up. Radar sees himself in the same league as Jack Newton, he now realises that nobody else does. If anybody is an under achiever it is Wayne Riley, he was a gifted ball striker as an 18 year old pro. I would watch him hit balls when the pros visited Mount Isa in the early 1980s. I did notice then that he was an outsider with the other guys on tour because of his personality and as a commentator he is a joke. my 5 cents.

Outback???

JB,

It looks like neither person wears the 'white hat' on this one. Riley was always outspoken & I'd forgotten about him until reading this article. Ewan Porter is a very promising talent who appears to be in a form slump at the moment. He won a Nationwide tour event towards the start of the year and then went on a downward slide. I read an interview a few months back & it was obvious that he was struggling for answers. Porter said he even watched replays of his tournament win to prove that he could play those shots.

If Riley approached Porter at the Dunhill Links tournament with unconstructive, unsolicited 'advice', I could understand how he would be annoyed. I don't think, however, Porter's behaviour in response is all that admirable. In fact, that sort of facebook nonsense, I find to be very 'high schoolish'. Grow up Ewan. if Riley shoots his mouth off, he (Ewan) needs to ignore it. Nearly everyone else does.

I've noticed Ewan Porter has withdrawn from the recent Kingwood event which is the second stage of the US PGA Tour Q-School.

• Admin
The press article pretty much sums it up. Radar sees himself in the same league as Jack Newton, he now realises that nobody else does. If anybody is an under achiever it is Wayne Riley, he was a gifted ball striker as an 18 year old pro. I would watch him hit balls when the pros visited Mount Isa in the early 1980s. I did notice then that he was an outsider with the other guys on tour because of his personality and as a commentator he is a joke. my 5 cents.

Outback???

Outback meaning Australia

Outback meaning Australia

Probably akin to assuming that "midwest" is co-extensive with the United States?

Funny - we have (in both Minnesota and Texas) Outback Steakhouse, the Aussie themed restaurant with a kangaroo and really addictive commercial jingle. The food has nothing to do with Australia, however, since I'm thinking not many herds of cows roam the outback. I may be wrong.

Do you guys have that "Australia" movie coming out? Always think of you (and Pirates of the Caribbean since the theme songs are nearly identical). I wonder if it's decently authentic. Not to threadjack, this may be better on the group page.

• Admin
OSI is OUtback, Flemings, Bonefish, Paul Lee's, Lee Roy Selmons, and Carrabbas. Great chain choices.
They are from Tampa.

Do you guys have that "Australia" movie coming out? Always think of you (and Pirates of the Caribbean since the theme songs are nearly identical). I wonder if it's decently authentic. ...

Yes, it's big news here at the moment. Lots of promos of Hugh Jackman & Nicole Kidman locking lips in the movie. I may get along to see it.

Just like the anachronisms that are found in a lot of western movies, I have no doubt that parts of the Australia movie will be anachronistic or inauthentic. That said, I hope it's a good movie.

Back