Steve Bann Interview

TheNewBrad

Who's ya caddy?
Reaction score
Handicap
Deceptive
I mentioned in another thread that I had viewed a recent interview of golfing coach, Steve Bann. The following is my transcription of the interview. I have gone to the trouble of posting this information in case some readers find it useful.

-----------

"The golf swing is broken into 4 steps.

1. Set up
  2. Pivot
  3. Plane & position
  4. Dynamics

(1) Set up
Set-up is made up of:
  • grip
  • stance
  • ball position
  • posture
  • aim

There is no point in progressing to step 2 (pivot) until there is some order in the components of the set up. Nearly everyone of those 5 things has an influence on pivot.

(2) Pivot
Pivot is everything in the golf swing without arms. That is, feet, knees, hips, shoulder & head. Pivot influences 'plane & position'.

(3) Plane & Position
P & P is basically wrists, elbows, club shaft & club plane throughout the swing. Governing this is 'dynamics'.

(4) Dynamics
Dynamics is timing, balance, & tempo.

Having said all of that, the only 3 things important in golf is (1) target (2) club face, & (3) path of the club.

The ball is irrefutably programed to do whatever happens at impact. If the ball goes left, no matter what you think, the club face was aimed left. If the ball goes right, the club face was aimed right.

It is important to teach beginners from day one that the club face is the most important thing. if you learn that early on you don't develop nasty habits like slicing or hooking or whatever may be.

I [Steve Bann] get my pros to do a 9 shot drill everyday. It is the old Ben Hogan drill. I get them to hit a (1) draw, (2) fade (3) straight, on a low, high & middle trajectory. If you do that swing, you can never fall into bad habits with the face & path because you've always got control over the club. Every one of those shots is a solution for every bad swing that you can make."​

---------------

Last edited:
Very good info about the swing. I dont think it has any merrit in the conversations about whether one should be fitted or not. But it is good info except where he says the only three things important in golf. All though that may be the case in the swing, equipment plays a major part in golf.

ANd I know he is speaking strictly about the swing, but taken out of context, it does not work.

Thanks for posting that, but what's the 5th step? Patience or Luck??

For the 5th step, please deposit another $100 & read on

Spoiler
Oops, it was a typo & is already fixed. Thanks for the $100

Thanks Brad... nice to have everything laid out nice and neat like that for reference.

Back