Greg Hopkins Interview – Hopkins DJ21 Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This week THP had a chance to interview Greg Hopkins about the new irons being released as well as the entire Hopkins brand overall. Fascinating read and tons of great info. You can check it out on the THP Home Page here.

http://bit.ly/UlLX9s

wow, fantastic interview.

Great questions asked and Greg was very candid with his answers.

Can't wait to see the game improvement irons and new wedge designs late this fall!

Last edited:
Awesome interview. I enjoyed his thoughts on the reasons why he went 8620 Carbon Steel over the 17-4 Stainless Steel. That was a great read this morning.

After reading that interview, the idea of Hopkins being a Morgan Cup sponsor crossed my mind. Wouldn't that be an awesome statement for that company?

After reading that interview, the idea of Hopkins being a Morgan Cup sponsor crossed my mind. Wouldn't that be an awesome statement for that company?

I think it would take a few years to get to that point, but an ultimate club testing could make sense. Heck, we already saw something similar with the Wedge testing.

• Admin
The first thing that comes to my mind in reading that is that now we have 2 industry veterans that have created some of the most iconic clubs in history both say that the process means very little in terms of feel.

I appreciate his candidness. I also thought Hawk asked excellent questions.

And new wedges, too? yay!

Great interview, somethings that really stuck out:

"Until the USGA relaxes the rules all of us can only go to the edge, but I’m at the edge of value."

An interesting mindset to have, it sounds like he knows who he is, who his company is and what they can offer.

Also I know its not much but I didnt know that only 5% of the market is lefties, freaking weirdos.

Looking forward to more info on teh game improvement set coming down the pipeline in december

Very good interview.

The irons look great. I was also intrigued by the comment about the material rather than the process affecting feel.

Excellent interview, Ryan! I'd defintely give the Hopkins irons a look if I was in the market for new irons.

This interview really got me interested in Hopkins as a company. Love the candidness, and excited to see what is coming down the line.

Good interview. Can't wait to see the new stuff down the road.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks for reading folks.

Greg is an enjoyable guy to talk to - always candid and cheery. From a business standpoint, I think the way he's built his company is pretty smart, and so far he's delivered on all his plans for growth.

He definitely believes in the products he sells and feels the thing differentiating Hopkins Golf from the other companies is his business model and the resulting value passed to the consumer. I think his success could have a positive benefit on the industry (and consumer) as a whole down the line.

Nice interview! I love what he is doing with Hopkins golf, I can't wait to see the game improvement set he mentioned for this coming winter.

I think his success could have a positive benefit on the industry (and consumer) as a whole down the line.

It's funny, his model is almost the complete opposite of another company I really like (PING, who does not sell directly to customers at all), but I really respect the way both companies operate, and both approaches make a lot of sense to me.

It's funny, his model is almost the complete opposite of another company I really like (PING, who does not sell directly to customers at all), but I really respect the way both companies operate, and both approaches make a lot of sense to me.

Yea, it will be interesting to see where it goes. Especially if he can build up that network of professionals to provide demos/fittings.

There is value in both approaches for sure. I think some will look at the Hopkins model and say "I can't get fit, so no thanks", but in the almost five years I've been reading what golfers do, I'd say more are buying blind or without a fitting than the opposite.

The first thing that comes to my mind in reading that is that now we have 2 industry veterans that have created some of the most iconic clubs in history both say that the process means very little in terms of feel.

I appreciate his candidness. I also thought Hawk asked excellent questions.

That is what stood out to me more than anything.

I also thought its quite cool the CJ was for his Grandfather and these are for his Dad.

great interview

That is what stood out to me more than anything.

I also thought its quite cool the CJ was for his Grandfather and these are for his Dad.

I think I threw him off a little asking that - almost like I was getting a little too personal. His answer was genuine though.

Thanks for posting this; great insights. Greg is a down-to-earth, straightforward and hilarious guy. We shared the same flight instructor a couple years back and he'd make fun of my flying in the simulator and try to distract me.

Thanks for posting this; great insights. Greg is a down-to-earth, straightforward and hilarious guy. We shared the same flight instructor a couple years back and he'd make fun of my flying in the simulator and try to distract me.

That's pretty cool right there.

Great interview Hawk, I really like his business model.

I agree with you Hawk most golfers don't get fit and the ones who do should have an idea of what works for them when going into a set like this.

Great interview Hawk! Interesting thoughts from Mr. Hopkins. It's exciting to here from a guy who's starting from the ground up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

An absolutely fantastic interview. Great seeing someone so candid about the process of club making and distribution from a small-business standpoint. It's nice to see their success (cool to hear about how many Champions Tour players have Hopkins in their bags), and I do hope it continues so that Mr. Hopkins can be that "left-handed hero."

An absolutely fantastic interview. Great seeing someone so candid about the process of club making and distribution from a small-business standpoint. It's nice to see their success (cool to hear about how many Champions Tour players have Hopkins in their bags), and I do hope it continues so that Mr. Hopkins can be that "left-handed hero."

We talked quite a bit about that and you could sense in his voice that he wished he could do more on that end. He does with the wedges at least, but regarding the irons - they are very early in the game right now.

Back