GPS NOT for the golf course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
With all the excitement of this UPro golf gps, I was wondering: What GPS device do you use in your car?

I have a TomTom Go910. What I like about it, other than the GPS feature is that you can download tons of free alternate voices and many points of interests. It also has Bluetooth, so I have hands-free phone in the truck. It also downloads your whole phonebook so you can also call from the device also along with having caller id. Other than people who have it as equipment that came with their vehicle, I know one person who has a Garmin and 5 others who have TomToms. No one I know has any other brand that I am aware of.

I have the Garmin Nuvi, it was really an impulse buy. I just don't need it as much as I thought I would, most of the time I don't even have it plugged in.

I use the one on my Sprint Blackberry. Its free with the data package. Works great, and has traffic updates.

I do a lot of traveling for my job from time to time. I've gone from KC to Browerville, MN to Amarillo, TX to Fresno, CA and points in between. Haven't gone east yet. So it comes in very handy for me. I have it on all the time; mainly for the previously mentioned bluetooth capability. But I still punch in "work" when I leave in the morning and "home" when I leave work at night! I have yet to get lost going either way! LMAO

I do a lot of traveling for my job from time to time. I've gone from KC to Browerville, MN to Amarillo, TX to Fresno, CA and points in between. Haven't gone east yet. So it comes in very handy for me. I have it on all the time; mainly for the previously mentioned bluetooth capability. But I still punch in "work" when I leave in the morning and "home" when I leave work at night! I have yet to get lost going either way! LMAO

Mikey bought one not long ago and I use it more then he does....I always tell him where to go, but I always seem to get lost :bulgy-eyes:

Garmin Nuvi 200W.

I use it all the time. Even when I know where I'm going, I use it (on mute) to calculate what time I will arrive.)

I dont get lost, ever. Thats what I tell my girlfriend when we get lost. I just use On Star.

Garmin Nuvi 360

Sounds like Garmin is a favorite. I've been thinking about a GPS for FIL for Christmas. Would need something with really big print for those 83-year old eyes. Advice?

Sounds like Garmin is a favorite. I've been thinking about a GPS for FIL for Christmas. Would need something with really big print for those 83-year old eyes. Advice?

I'm not sure if you were joking or not, but wouldn't something like this work? You can clip it on to the top of the GPS and direct it over the map area. Just a thought.

2007051801070212004-0519-0021.jpg

And, when not needed, can be removed for easy storage :D

Actually now that I see this, I think I am going to look into getting one as I do wear reading glasses and have been using our GPS by repeatedly taking off and on my glasses. Major pain :bad:

Garmin is quality stuff. The Mrs has a Garmin, but I'm not sure what model. I'd love to have one, but would rarely use it. I've actually got a very good sense of direction, and seldom get lost. I may miss a turn now and then, but I always find my way.

We use Lowrance in the racer and chase vehicles. One of thesse in the dash of the racer: http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Marine/Large-Screen-GPS-Chartplotters/GlobalMap-8200C/

And one of these in each chase vehicle: http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Automotive/GlobalMap-Baja-540C/

Garmin is a great product. And they are here in Kansas City. I actually picked the GolfLogix over the Skycaddie because it's from Garmin. The one person I know with a Garmin loves it; the ones I know with a TomTom, one is the reason I got one, the others got it after seeing my TomTom. So my survey was kind of skewed.

I personally think they are both pretty much on par with each other, as long as you keep the maps updated.

I wonder if updating the Garmin Nuvi 200W is worth the trouble, I am downloading the update for mine now, it's 2+GB:angry:, it is estimating like 10 hours to complete.

I am so not patient with this kind of stuff, I want it done as soon as I push the button.

Is that for the new maps or just updating the software? My maps in the TomTom are pretty huge but the software update I did last week was only like 17 MB. Seems like the maps took a while but not as long as what yours is saying. You might try late at night when there's less traffic.

I wonder if updating the Garmin Nuvi 200W is worth the trouble, I am downloading the update for mine now, it's 2+GB:angry:, it is estimating like 10 hours to complete.

I am so not patient with this kind of stuff, I want it done as soon as I push the button.

i did mine already. they do have a slow server, but it should'nt take more than 20 minutes with a decent internet connection. the reason it's so big is because it includes ALL the maps, but once it downloaded and i opened it up, i only chose "Canada and bordering States". i have the Nuvi 200, and i'm only allowed to choose one package from the bundle.

Well I'm on a DSL connection, it seems pretty fast to me. I left it downloading while I went to eat at my inlaws, when I got back it said Firefox experienced a shutdown of some kind. Anyway I said screw it I'm not trying to download it again, it was working fine before the update.

after reading this thread I now have no idea what to get... its between a garmin and a Tom Tom and everyone seems to love them.

I wouldn't mind spending 250-300 dollars on this thing and would like something that will last and be useful for the next 3-4 years and maybe more.

I am still up in the air whether I'll need it or not!

I use google maps/nav on my droid. It works great and is free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back