How often do you play? and how does it influence you're game

Malibuwagon80

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm wondering about how often do most of you guys play? I used to get out only a few times a year. I only had 1 and now 2 friends that play. friend #1 is the one who got me to play more often {4-6 times a year} Friend #2 I got to play. I'm trying to get out once a week and I think it's starting to help my game. I use an executive course thats a 10 min. drive. I got to the point where I will go by myself and am starting to enjoy just strolling along and working on shots. I actually had no one behind me most of the way last time out. So I guess my question is "What factor do you think really helps with improving you're skills?" 1 playing more often? 2 Equipment up grades? 3 instruction {lessons}? Thanks for you're thoughts on this!!:banghead:

I only play a full round of eighteen every 2-3 months! But, I can usually squeeze-in a quick 9 on Fridays, if work goes well. It's frustrating and my game has suffered. I don't see those rounds much anymore where I'm borderline 78-82. I'm now shooting 88-92... I try to satisfy my golf "jones" by going to the range, but that has created bad habits and swing doubt/confusion. One has to be able to play full rounds to score. Heck, because I play 18 so rarely, just staying in the round mentally is a challenge.

I try to get at least a 9 in a week. At least.

Playing golf is really important for getting better at golf. Instruction/playing are more important than having the newest equipment IMO

I try to get out at least once a week. I cut down the amount of time I spent at the range this year to play more and my game took a step backwards. For me it goes lessons>range>playing>new equipment as far as my scores improving.

I know it's probably tough in these times, family stuff work schedules etc. But I'm like semi retired and still have to go out of my way to find time.I'm trying to get out once a week also.

I get between 9 and 27 holes a week. Almost always play by myself or with strangers. I think a combination of frequent playing/practicing and lessons are key. I played for years and made slight improvements. I got 6 lessons over 3 months and dropped my score by 8 shots.

I try to play 9 holes at least once a week but probably average 18. Playing helps immensely in improving my score, by hitting out of all kinds of lies, know what shots are more reliable, and especially improving the short game.

I use the range and my yard to work on my swing, but once I'm on the course, it's about playing with the game you have. The more times you're able to get out and put yourself in that situation, the better

In order of importance I'd say it goes consistent practice, regular playing, occasional lessons, equipment tinkering when necessary.

I play 2-3 full rounds a month and at least one range session a week. It will dip slightly as winter sets in. Consistently swinging the clubs is imperative to building muscle memory and the only way to solidify what you might learn in a lesson. If you commit the improvements will be significant.

I'll get one or two rounds in a week, this is the first year in a while I have been able to play this much and it has definitely helped me be more consistent.

I think most of us need regular maintenance to our games to play at our best. That may be range time, playing or other practice. The amount varies by person. Some are blessed with more natural skill. Others - like me - need to keep at it pretty routinely (I try to do something at least once a week).

To to your last question, I think lessons/instructions are the starting point for improving our skills, then whatever work is needed to engrain the new skills then whatever amount of play/practice each of us requires to maintain it.

I'm getting out 2-3 times a month with a few practice sessions thrown in.

to get the most out of any round you should get fit & get lessons. That will get you going on the right path. I know that's not fun, but IMO sets you up for long term success.

I also believe the more you practice/play the more you will engrain the swing you need & even if you aren't playing that much.

I usually play every other week and at least 9 holes at that. It seems like I rarely get to play 18 because I'm so busy. I do get in a range session every week which helps though.

I'm in agreement with what the others that the more you practice and play the more you will groove a swing. Heck swinging my 9i indoors everyday has helped me some in retaining the rhythm and feel of my swing.

I usually play three to four days per week when healthy. :alien: If you have a swing flaw you can't figure out on your on, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a lesson. Working on short game stuff is really important for scoring.

If the weather holds I usually play 18 on Saturday and Sunday.....no doubt about it, you need to play and practice to shoot better

Each year I commit that I will play more but rarely find the time. The last 15 years I've played anywhere from 45-75 rounds a year. My golf season is April through maybe October so that's about 5-9 rounds a month. My rounds tend to come in bunches - I will play 10 rounds in 12 days on our annual summer vacation and that's often when I score the best. My wife's work got super busy with travel this summer so we didn't take our vacation. That combined with some home improvement projects means I only played a total of 12 rounds From June 1st through mid September. The past month has been better and I've been getting out 3+ times a week. Usually I hang up the sticks for 5 months in late October but this year I'm going to play 10 or more rounds in Florida on a trip in November and another one after Christmas so I may not trade my clubs for my skis until January.

I do believe you need to play more than you practice. I have had periods of my life where I mostly practiced with very little play time and the only thing I had to show for it was a sore back. Most days on the range I can hit 10 flush shots in a row with the exact shape and trajectory I'm looking for but for some reason that ability doesn't translate to the course. :act-up: One year I hit a tens of thousands of balls into a net in my basement over the winter with zero rounds played. When the snow melted in March I had grooved a wicked hook that took a couple weeks to fix!

My pro said the golf swing and NASCAR are similar.

In NASCAR the car is built in the shop. In golf the swing is built at home in front of a mirror.
In NASCAR the car if fine tuned on the track. In golf the swing is fine tuned on the range.
Race day in NASCAR is survival... He left me to ponder the rest.

I play in two "senior" leagues. I've also hooked up with three other buddies who like to play early in the morning. Bottom line I play 4-5 times a week, monday to friday. Retirement is GREAT.

My scoring hasn't improved much, maybe my irons are a bit more consistent. But I do have a lot more aches and pains that need the weekend to recover. I don't have the resiliency to practice other than hitting a dozen balls before each round, due to bad knees and sore back, but playing is more important to me at this stage than practicing.

More practice than play over here at a 4 to 1 ratio. I'm limited to the weekends and some weekends there's too much going on with kids parties and family stuff.

I play about once a week, and I'm still terrible. I know I've gotten to the point where only lessons will help me, I just can't bring myself to take that step.

All over the map. In the summer I play almost every single day. During that stretch I shoot some solid scores. Now, I get out once a month if I'm lucky and the scores go up. It is still fun though.

Im usually good for a round a week but there are times when I have to go 2-3 weeks without playing. I still try to pick up a club a few times a week and just swing easy to keep my muscle memory. Now if I am playing particularly terrible that day and my swing starts coming around at the end of the round then I may try to play another 9 or 18 to end on a positive note.

I only get to play 2-3 times a month and sometimes only once. I try to hit balls on the range once a week to keep my swing somewhat intact. I notice that when I don't hit balls or play for a couple weeks then I struggle a little with tempo and contact.

For me it goes lessons>range>playing>new equipment as far as my scores improving.

Totally agree here. Golf is one of those things where if you don't use it, you lose it. However, even if you are only able to play/practice golf a couple times a month, I would use at least one of those times on a lesson to get to the fundamentals with trained eyes on you.

I can play 5 times a week or twice a month, if my fundamentals are off there's no chance I'm scoring well. Lessons/range are ways to improve.

In years passed, I played in two 9-hole leagues a week, and then tried to get at least one round in over the weekend. It certainly helps to play more, but it comes and goes for me. If I'm going through a bad stretch, and I play 3 or 4 days in a row, it doesn't seem to get better (worse actually). After a few days off (or up to a week even) it seems to reset my mental state and outlook and I generally play better that first round back after the break.

This year I cut down to one 9-hole league a week with intentions of practicing more. Then I broke my wrist and spent the 3 summer months on the shelf. Now that I'm back playing, I'm enjoying being on the course, but need to be at the range/putting green.

Back