Help with Driver attack angle please!

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
As you will see in the image below, which shows my driver shot data, my attack angle Is very bad. It usually varies between -4 and -7. I have tried tilting my body away from the target, but it make very little effect. Any other ideas how I can improve on that?

Attachments

• 20150127_152127_resized (1).jpg
    20150127_152127_resized (1).jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I imagine Freddie would appreciate either a video or at least some pictures of your set up and impact.

I'm no expert, but what I see is a dynamic loft of 15.2 and spin of 3420. While the spin I believe is a bit high, I don't think those numbers are bad.

Optimally, you would want to be catching the ball on the way up. There can be numerous reasons for not doing so, such as having the ball too far back in your stance, facing the ball too much, etc.

If you post a swing video, I'm sure Freddie can help you figure out what the cause would be and a proper fix.

I'm no expert, but what I see is a dynamic loft of 15.2 and spin of 3420. While the spin I believe is a bit high, I don't think those numbers are bad.

Optimally, you would want to be catching the ball on the way up. There can be numerous reasons for not doing so, such as having the ball too far back in your stance, facing the ball too much, etc.

If you post a swing video, I'm sure Freddie can help you figure out what the cause would be and a proper fix.

Thanks. I will post a video. What does facing the ball too much mean?

Driver: Nike Covert 2.0 12.5 degrees
Fairway: Callaway X2Hot 4 Wood
Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 5 & 6
Irons: Taylormade Rocketbladez 8,9,P
Wedges: 52 Mizuno, 56 rtx, 58 smart sole, 64 rtx
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR 33

I've seen so many golfers struggle with this problem and it usually comes from going after the ball too hard and as a result your body gets so far ahead of your hands the only possible result is that you hit down on the ball. A change in setup does wonders for this particular problem.....

I had the same AoA the following helped me. Move the ball slightly more forward in my stance, feel like I over exaggerated my shoulder tilt, slightly cock my head up and finally feel like I am swinging slower. A combination of all this makes me swing more in to out and I went - down to +.

Thanks. I will post a video. What does facing the ball too much mean?

Mistake a lot of people make with the driver. They play the ball up forward in their stance, and then turn and face the ball, opening their shoulders. If you do that, you're moving the low point of your swing forward and don't have as long for it to start back up, not to mention introducing a whole host of other problems. Done correctly, you play the ball up forward in your stance, but you keep your shoulders and hips square. The club bottoms out basically in the center of your stance, and by the time it gets to the ball up forward in your stance, your club is on the way up.

A good trick that works for a lot of people is to set up for your drives with about 6 inches between the ball and your driver.
Helps you hit up on it.

This is an issue I also had but was fixed with a lesson. Stance was one of the issues but also shoulder turn. I was bringing my front shoulder to about my sternum on my backswing and when moving it to getting it over my back knee my attack angle and path were much better. Might be worth a shot!

I wonder why you concerned about your angle of attack. Based on the numbers listed you have an inconsistent face impact issue. You distances are all over the map. This tells me your arms are doing a great deal of the of the work which means yours hands are in play. If you were using more shoulder and torso, I think you might get better numbers and your angle of attack would even out of increase.

Set up with a slight spine tilt, with the right shoulder behind the ball. Turn away from the ball with the shoulders and arms. The delivery to the ball should keep the torso moving back through the ball. Just be sure you are working behind the ball. The spine tilt with you operating behind will fix your face contact and thereby you AoA.

But based on the number, your AoA is not affecting your distance as it is falling between 12,5 and 15. Allowing the body to play a bigger role in the swing will fix the issues you have.

I wonder why you concerned about your angle of attack. Based on the numbers listed you have an inconsistent face impact issue. You distances are all over the map. This tells me your arms are doing a great deal of the of the work which means yours hands are in play. If you were using more shoulder and torso, I think you might get better numbers and your angle of attack would even out of increase.

Set up with a slight spine tilt, with the right shoulder behind the ball. Turn away from the ball with the shoulders and arms. The delivery to the ball should keep the torso moving back through the ball. Just be sure you are working behind the ball. The spine tilt with you operating behind will fix your face contact and thereby you AoA.

But based on the number, your AoA is not affecting your distance as it is falling between 12,5 and 15. Allowing the body to play a bigger role in the swing will fix the issues you have.

Thanks Tadashi. Also, what do you mean by "spine tilt, with the right shoulder behind the ball"?

Thanks Tadashi. Also, what do you mean by "spine tilt, with the right shoulder behind the ball"?
Think of your shoulders at a T. If you lean slightly to the right or away from the target you will achieve spine tilt. if this is maintained through out the swing you will make an upward pass at the ball

I had a negative angle of attack and fixed it doing a couple of things 1) Pulled my right elbow down and slightly toward my left elbow which squared my shoulder to the line 2) A good practice drill is the reverse "divot master" all you need is 3 Tees. I found it to be more effective teeing the ball in the middle and trying to miss the highest tee
e7023ba7fff0e4493c7d03a434666054.jpg

I had a negative angle of attack and fixed it doing a couple of things 1) Pulled my right elbow down and slightly toward my left elbow which squared my shoulder to the line 2) A good practice drill is the reverse "divot master" all you need is 3 Tees. I found it to be more effective teeing the ball in the middle and trying to miss the highest tee
e7023ba7fff0e4493c7d03a434666054.jpg

When you say "right elbow down" do you mean you bend it more or do you bring it down by tilting?

Driver: Nike Covert 2.0 12.5 degrees
Fairway: Callaway X2Hot 4 Wood
Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 5 & 6
Irons: Taylormade Rocketbladez 8,9,P
Wedges: 52 Mizuno, 56 rtx, 58 smart sole, 64 rtx
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR 33

I dont bend it whatsoever I just pull it down/closer to my body... it doesnt take alot but just enough to tilt and square my shoulders. Think phil Mickelson

Back