Getting Back Into The Sport...Suggestions?

NickerBopper

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello all! Long time reader first time late poster.

Here's the deal. I started golfing in 2006 when I was a sophomore in high school. I played for a couple years until I got to college, which the sport then became too expensive to keep up with while having to worry about tuition, rent, etc. Anyways, 6 years and a masters degree later :D, I now have some resources to return to playing.

When I started, I purchased a cheap set of Dunlop clubs, one of the cheap starter sets, which I am still using. I'm not very good, especially with all the time I've taken off.

Long story short, I'm considering an upgrade in equipment. Any help or tips would be appreciated. Would you all recommend an upgrade right now, or stick with what I have? I'm open to any feedback. Any certain brands to look for? Certain ball types?

I've considered going to a sporting goods store for a fitting, but am hesitant to do so since I am just starting to get back into the game.

As I said, just looking for any kind of opinion. I've read through several forums, and this seems to be the most active and helpful bunch. Thanks everyone!

First off, welcome to THP.
If the swing is repeatable (good or bad), I would say you could upgrade if you would like to.
There is lots of great info here on the latest and greatest that might help steer you in the right direction.

Welcome to THP.

Do some shopping around, if you can get a fitting thrown in great.

Welcome. I would start with a free fitting or at least one where the cost will applied to a purchase just to get an idea of where you stand with some of today's stuff.

Hit some new models Maybe some sets that are a year or two old ( found in GolfSmith or somewhere of the like) to see if there is really that big of difference to you.

Most of all enjoy the process and the search for new and shiny is always fun.

SaA

I starting playing again this spring after a long gap. I hit a few clubs here and there and then was fitted for irons and then wedges. Picking new clubs was a lot of fun and added some incentive to play, but just getting out and playing a lot has really fueled my fire.

I am still more dated than not in my gear knowledge but have the overall impression that today's clubs and balls are good to great across the board and have been for years. I think fitting was more important than specific brand or model choices. As I have refined my old swing and developed more consistent club head control, I might need to have the irons tweaked. I expected that might happen and that's why I chose a major golf brand like Ping where any adjustments would only cost me shipping.

Good luck!

Welcome to THP. You can't go wrong either way whether you upgrade now or wait til you are back in the swing of things. Demo day season is still going on for the next month or so depending on area so you would have the chance to try out many if the new models out. I say try as many as you can and find something that looks good you, feels good and that you will enjoy

:welcome: glad you are getting back into the game. Let us know how your fitting goes.

Welcome to THP , and welcome back to the game we all love !

Welcome back to the game , that is the main thing. I would maybe take this year to just enjoy yourself and familiarize yourself with just going thru the motions again. In. The spring hook up with a local pro who can see what needs would help assist you wise ( both equipment and instruction ) . Some good guys and gals out there just looking to help with your needs

Thanks for all the replies everyone! It has definitely been an enjoyable experience getting back out on the links. I forgot how relaxing it is to get out the course and escape the real world for a little while.

I have been contemplating on whether or not to make the jump and at least get a new set of irons, so I have been doing some looking around. I found a set of Nike VR_S X irons at TGW for what seems like a decent price.

I was wondering if anyone had any input on these clubs and whether or not it is a decent deal?

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp/SUBCATEGORY_ID/49142

Back