Getting Into Someone's Head

Diane

Reaction score
Some comments in another thread got me thinking about talking smack or messing with someone's head. I've done it, but to be honest - it wasn't deliberate. You guys seem to do it deliberately. So what is the best line you use or has been used on you?

When not with our normal group, (in which we can get out of control with each other sometimes) I am pretty quiet, and laid back. However, if prompted, I might say something along the lines of "maybe you should just shut up, play golf, or take up bowling." Usually gets my point across, and we either split up, or the rest of the round is more pleasant to play.

The best one ever used on me was after I shot a 10 on the opening hole, while playing with 3 guys I did not know. They were having a great time at my expense. One of the guys told he would save me some time, and would give $20 for my bag, and clubs. That I could take the rest of the day off. I agreed with him, which surprised him, but he still handed me the $20. That's when I told him they were rental clubs. :clapp:

I was golfing with a buddy who is a scratch and was showing me some things. I hit a bad shot and he says "I know what your problem is, you are standing to close to the ball." I said "Really?" and he replies "After you hit it." What a jerk. Then again I have used that same joke since.

Not sure of "The Best", several buddies and I get pretty bad, lol. It's funny how some of the real simple ones get the most reaction. As one buddy was ready to tee off last week I quietly said, while standing behind him, "man you have a big butt". He lost it! Rest of the group were rolling on the t-box while I ran for my life.

Rest of the day you could hear "I like big butts" being sung everytime he stepped up to a crittical shot. We would never do this if anyone else was with us. Just these 4 guy's.

Sometimes if someone hits a drive farther than me, chips better than me, or putts better than me i ask them if what equipment they are using will help my game any.....:D

I play with a buddy who almost always outdrives me. Whenever mine is very close to his length I always ask him if that's the best he's got. I tell him that he's got me by 20 years and outweighs me 50 lbs, so he should be 50 yards past me every time.

This will usually get him overswinging on the next few tee boxes so I can count on a few OB's or at least trouble shots from him.

Only when I'm playing with people I know....otherwise no

I can get in people's head quickly if they make me mad. But usually, even if its a tournament or competitive round, I won't say anything to upset someone. I don't like being a butthole to people so I usually just play my game and raise hell when I hit a bad shot. I hate to see people fail at golf even if they are playing against me. When I beat someone I want to know I got their best shot.

A guy I use to play with was good at getting into your head. He would wait after you teed off and make a comment as you were going to your ball "you know I think your grip was a little loose on those last two shots or I noticed you lifted your left heal off the ground just a bit. Another one he had was I noticed you standing a bit more straight up the last couple times you putted. I do not do it to anyone I'm playing with just because I know it can really mess up your game. There are enough distractions I can come up with on my own without any ones else help.:D And you will notice I said use to play with. LOL

2 good ones..................

Ask your opponent if he breathes in or out during his back swing and if you dont mind a good arguement and my appologies if this offends anyone,if your opponent is male and married with kids,ask how his wife and your kids are getting on,then wait for the fall out. :alien2::alien2::alien2:

Not sure this one was deliberate, but it sure worked on me....

I was going thru a spell of bad putting, so I switched to my old wooden shafted blade putter, probably 1930's vintage but also probably like the quality of a Northwestern club today, if you get my drift. The name printed on it is Tom Skipper. Anyway, I play a few rounds with it just to get a radically different feel, and I am making putts right and left. My buddy took a few beatings, then one day after I rolled in yet another putt, he says, "I don't see how you putt with that thing, as much as that shaft flexes when you stroke it." Well, after that, I was trying to see or feel that flexing and never made another putt - and it was outta the bag in a couple of days...

Not sure this one was deliberate, but it sure worked on me....

I was going thru a spell of bad putting, so I switched to my old wooden shafted blade putter, probably 1930's vintage but also probably like the quality of a Northwestern club today, if you get my drift. The name printed on it is Tom Skipper. Anyway, I play a few rounds with it just to get a radically different feel, and I am making putts right and left. My buddy took a few beatings, then one day after I rolled in yet another putt, he says, "I don't see how you putt with that thing, as much as that shaft flexes when you stroke it." Well, after that, I was trying to see or feel that flexing and never made another putt - and it was outta the bag in a couple of days...

All Putter magic has an expiration date, so it could have been that the magic ran out just as he said that to you. I firmly believe that all clubs come with a certain amount of good magic inside. However, the club manufacturers put microscopic holes in the sole of them so that every time you address the ball, a certain amount runs out. After a couple of months, it is all gone and you have to go buy more new stuff to get the magic back. Insidious, but true.

All Putter magic has an expiration date, so it could have been that the magic ran out just as he said that to you. I firmly believe that all clubs come with a certain amount of good magic inside. However, the club manufacturers put microscopic holes in the sole of them so that every time you address the ball, a certain amount runs out. After a couple of months, it is all gone and you have to go buy more new stuff to get the magic back. Insidious, but true.

If that's the case, shouldn't there be big piles of magic all over the greens? :confused2:

Claire - You are way too practical. Magic evaporates.

Thank you, Diane. Someone who understands the concept fully!!! :D Its obvious you have had the same experience as me.

Sure, magic evaporates . . . eventually. But in the mean time, no one wants to sleep in that spot.

It's getting very messy in here.

It wouldn't be messy if I was there.

Spoiler
There is no way I'd stay and watch.

So you believe that things cannot be messy absent your presence?

Back