Square putter grips applied on a driver

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
I am aware that square putter grips are not legally allowed on the rest of the clubs. However, out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried them? Was it easier to square the clubface with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a friend of mine that has the putter grips on every one of his clubs. He claims it helps him get the club face square. It is definitely not legal at all and he can't play in any tournaments because of it, but he's not willing to change them out either. We give him a pretty hard time about it, but if it works and you don't mind playing with non-conforming clubs, then have at it.

I can see how it would help. I think my next set will be ribbed just so I have that little bit of extra reminder so its easier for me to keep a constant grip and easier to square the club consistently.

I can barely square a putter. So there's that.

I can see how it would help. I think my next set will be ribbed just so I have that little bit of extra reminder so its easier for me to keep a constant grip and easier to square the club consistently.

I have pondered ribbed but what worries me is getting them squared up right when putting grip on.

Regardless if you want to or not, it's against the rules if you're into strictly ahering to the book. I'd never care if someone played with all putter grips, but you might have some issues in a club tourney or something like that:
http://www.randa.org/en/Equipment/Equipment-in-Focus/Archive/2010/November/Grip.aspx

Quoted from the R&A:
Grips on irons or woods must be circular in cross-section, though they are permitted to have a slightly raised reminder rib running the full length of the grip. Putters, meanwhile, may have a grip with a non-circular cross-section, but where a putter has two grips, they must both be circular in cross-section, have a separation of at least 1.5 inches with the upper grip at least five inches long.

Edit: Silly me. Just realized the OP knew it was illegal to do. My bad.

Back