Golf Galaxy - Cleveland Golf Scoring Clinic

AHA

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN: 5.9
I just noticed that the Golf Galaxy in my area is hosting a Cleveland Golf Scoring Clinic. It appears to be free and about two hours in length (with a few giveaways). Has anyone ever attended one of these? I'm just trying to decide if it's worth checking out. Thanks!

What is a golf scoring clinic?

Never heard of it but it sounds interesting.

Just checked their website and didnt see anything on scoring clinics. Perhaps it is something the local Cleveland Rep is putting together.

It appears to be a 2-hour short game clinic, but I'm wondering how much actual instruction there is and if participants actually get to hit any shots or if it is more of a lecture from the Golf Galaxy pro. Information can be found here for reference:

Cleveland Event at Golf Galaxy - America's Pro Shop

Looks like every GG store is having this event on the same date/time. I think I'll attend! Thanks.

I received an email from Golf Galaxy about this on Wednesday. I'm hoping to be able to attend.

Just a reminder for everyone...if you live near a Golf Galaxy, I'm pretty sure these free Cleveland short game clinics are taking place tonight (Wed. 12/9).

The ones in my area are going to be Tuesday the 15th. Hm.

EDIT: I was incorrect. The thing on Tuesday is a special members invite event for about two hours with give-a-ways and whatnot. I'm not sure what to expect, on this, either. Has anyone been to one?

Also, how was the Scoring Clinic?

Last edited:
Too bad we dont have a Golf Galaxy around here, that would be fun.

I went to the clinic last night in Chandler, AZ. First time ever in Golf Galaxy!! The pro there gave an overview of the short game. Chip, pitch and sand shots (when to do them and how to do them). He talked about the different kinds of wedges and characteristics of the wedges (loft, bounce etc).

Overall very cool. Its always good to go over short game techniques as it seemed to have solved some of my problems elsewhere lol. The pro was very cool, talked to people afterwards about gear, techniques etc.. You didnt get to hit cause it was a small area during the clinic but afterwards you could hit into their nets.

You got a free two ball sleeve of srixon zstar balls. And everything Cleveland was 20% off (not the cg15's, black pearl cg7's or the new driver). They had a raffle for a putter, cg15 wedge and 3 25 gift certificates.

Awesome time!!! Finally bought a niblick.. With 20% off, I couldn't pass it up since I never see those on sale!

Everything Yoccos1981 described above also happened at the Pittsburgh Golf Galaxy. Interesting event with nice giveaways. Is it just me, or have I been seeing a lot of Cleveland Golf recently (advertising, etc.)? I really like their new stuff...I wonder what Roger Cleveland is thinking about his old company while he's over at Callaway?

Sounds like you too enjoyed the clinic. I decided not to go. Too cold outside and too far away from home.

Anything you learn from the pro that was new (a revelation) to you?

Nothing profound as far as technique goes. The Cleveland rep that was present did make one comment that caught my attention. He basically implied that because equipment manufacturers can continue to manufacture clubs with grooves under the current groove rules through 2011, that they will use 2010 to produce (a large number of) clubs that can be sold through 2024 when all golfers must finally adopt clubs with the new grooves. This made me wonder if other manufacturers will be producing vast quantities of equipment in 2010 under the current rules and continue to sell (which is ok under the rules) this equipment to dealers over the next few years.

Sounds like you too enjoyed the clinic. I decided not to go. Too cold outside and too far away from home.

Anything you learn from the pro that was new (a revelation) to you?

Well for me, it reinforced some basics of the lessons I took about 10 years ago. I didn't start playing a lot again until april this year. So I def did not keep up on my practice.

Fundementals of hitting the short game shot. Which isnt huge but to those who never had formal lessons on it, def a revelation. Quality of the session could vary from pro to pro. The guy we had was cool. Explained everything, answered all questions and demo'd for us. I never learned about bounce before and I did last night. It made me realize I need a fitting haha.

Very cool IMO.

-Marc

Nothing profound as far as technique goes. The Cleveland rep that was present did make one comment that caught my attention. He basically implied that because equipment manufacturers can continue to manufacture clubs with grooves under the current groove rules through 2011, that they will use 2010 to produce (a large number of) clubs that can be sold through 2024 when all golfers must finally adopt clubs with the new grooves. This made me wonder if other manufacturers will be producing vast quantities of equipment in 2010 under the current rules and continue to sell (which is ok under the rules) this equipment to dealers over the next few years.

That made me think too. I wouldnt see why the other companies wont follow. Who knows though. It would make sense since most people golfing don't compete in USGA sanctioned events.

The pro explained unless you're competing in USGA sanctioned events groove rules dont apply till 2024, so its nothing to really worry about. Which a lot of people there seemed to be concerned about. If I didn't come to this site I would probably be stressing about grooves too :)

Didnt mean to hijack your quote :)

-Marc

The pro explained unless you're competing in USGA sanctioned events groove rules dont apply till 2024, so its nothing to really worry about. Which a lot of people there seemed to be concerned about. If I didn't come to this site I would probably be stressing about grooves too :)

A while ago, JB posted a very helpful timeline. Did you see it?

A while ago, JB posted a very helpful timeline. Did you see it?

I think I did.. Was it in the Cleveland flyer with the explanation of how the grooves are?? If so, I think I saved it on my work PC lol. Of course I was looking on a break.... haha. Ill have to search for that :)

-Marc

Back