JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What are your goals for the 2009 Golf Season?

I got back into this year after 7 years off and had only played a few years back then...was never good. Got some lessons and keep working at it, so...my short-term goal for '09, by summer I want to be breaking 90 consistently and not sporadic and get rid of the 1-3 blow up holes. By the end of next summer I honestly believe I can and will be low 80's and hopefully breaking 80 on occasion. I have the actual mental understandings now and have to focus and get mind and body as one.
Sound logical and realistic?

• Admin
Sounds great Scooter. And now you have the sticks to get the job done. And of course a UPRO (shameless THP Plug)

I have several goals for next golf season:

• I'd like to break 80 at least once (Best is 85 and I've only had 3 rounds under 90, so that's a lofty goal, and will probably have to happen at Minor Park);
  • I'd like my handicap to get to around 15 (just under 20 this year);
  • Be able to keep my driver in the bag the entire season and not hit three-woods off the tee;
  • Take at least six lessons (with my wife - - -semi-private lessons);
  • See my wife break 100 consistently this season (which will be her second year of golf) and get her an official (as official as oob is) handicap);
  • Play an executive course at least once a month to work on short game in a game situation;
  • Play regulation courses at least three times a month (weather, specifically spring rains, will have a lot to say about this);
  • Putt the ball PAST the hole more often (I leave too many short, which makes getting many one-putts pretty difficult!).

There's tons more, but I don't have the time to continue the list (book) right now!

Here are my '09 goals. I have two different sets of goals one for the summer here in Alaska, and one for once I get down to Oregon.

Summer

• Top 10 at Alaska State Amatuer
  • Qualify for Alaska State Match Play
  • Qualify for US Juniors
  • Qualify for US Mid-Am
  • Win every Alaska Junior Tour Event (almost guarateed)

Fall/Winter

• Handicap sub-3
  • Make High School Golf team
  • Play a round with the Oregon golf coach
  • Meet and practice with some of the Oregon men's golf team

I guess thats it, for now...

• Drop at least 10 strokes off of my handicap.:golf:
  • No more 3 putts:beat-up:
  • Learn to deal, and avoid blow-up holes:yin-yang:
  • make fewer penalty strokes:beat-up:
  • increase my vernacular to lob :bomb: back at my friends on the teebox after they razz me

- Single digit handicap
- Putting average 31
- Fairways hit 70%

I think is the same as last year...
  • Get a few lessons
  • Work on getting the pulls/hooks out of my game
  • Get up and down a little more
  • Get in the single digits

- Lose the fade on my drives
- Break 80 for the first time
- Handicap ... I'm not sure, actually. What do you guys think is realistic from a 16 if I play once a week?

- Handicap ... I'm not sure, actually. What do you guys think is realistic from a 16 if I play once a week?

I would think droping 4 strokes off the handicap would be a realistic goal, single digits may be a stretch unless you are getting lessons and hitting balls a couple times a week.

My goals for 2009 are very simple
- Get my 9 yr. old daughter started (set of clubs, junior camp)
- Work on the mental part of the game (course management)
- Actually employ the lessons in Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect
- Take more lessons

I would think droping 4 strokes off the handicap would be a realistic goal, single digits may be a stretch unless you are getting lessons and hitting balls a couple times a week.

Thanks Craig. OK, I'll buy that.

-Handicap goal: 12

I just want to play more this season. I averaged once a week this past fall but I would like to get out at least twice a week.

I think my main goal will be to get my putts back down again. My average putts went up to 39 over the summer(crowd laughs).
I also want to work on my concentration, I usually always space out around the 13th or 14th hole, maybe I need some riddlin. Its really killing my score.

Break 80
lower my handicap by 3 - 5 points
fewer 3 putts
make better decisions on the course
lessons
play and practice more
continue to have fun

*Get my handicap down to 0 or sub par, the closest i have been is 2.1
*Really work out hard in the winter and spring, mainly just staying committed
*Play in the state junior and finish top 25, which is really hard to do in TN
*Play in the state am and turn in a solid score
*Win a few times on the junior tours i play on
*Top 3 at club championship, I was like 12th this year
*Win state as a highschool team and finish as a top 3 medalist
*Meet a bunch of coaches from the colleges i am looking at and get recruited by them, cuz i am sick of getting recruited by a few schools i don't want to go to
*Just have fun, because that's what golf should be !!!!! :banana:

I sure can. i would like to do it with one set of equipment too. But that wont happen with reviews to do.

I can sure relate to playing more, seeing that half of 07 and 08 I was in Iraq. I will start with some lessons and just enjoy myself.

And of course more time at THP and get in on some contests.

- get my ballstriking back to where it used to be
- improve my putting
- break par at a challenging course (6800+)

1) Be Smarter
2) More Mental Stability
3) Play as Much as I can
4) Avg Under 30 Putts
5) Get my head out of my ass and start playing some golf. (basically the same as #2)

1. Get the new clubs purchased.
2. Remember to keep my head down!
3. Play my first round of golf since 2002.
4. Enjoy playing golf.

Drive 200.
My ultimate goal is to be tourney ready (small time competition) - I'm told it may happen sooner than a few years. :smile:

Back