Nic Faldo signs with Mizuno

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I know he may not be as big of a name as he used to be, I don't know how marketable he still is, but I find it interesting Mizuno would sign him, I wonder what kind of deals he still gets?

I'd be interested to hear the parameters. More marketable in Europe than here I'd assume.

I'd be interested to hear the parameters. More marketable in Europe than here I'd assume.
You think? I think with him being on the golf broadcasts and having that accent and being a major winner makes him relevant in the US. I may be wrong though

You think? I think with him being on the golf broadcasts and having that accent and being a major winner makes him relevant in the US. I may be wrong though

He's relevant here, but now as a broadcaster. It's been 20 years since we've seen him on the course winning in the states. I like Nick as a broadcaster. I never once thought of Sir Nick and TaylorMade when going in to buy a wedge, irons, or driver.

That is almost a perfect pairing. Not sure what kind of juice they get out of it but it is peanut butter and jelly from a synergy standpoint.

He's relevant here, but now as a broadcaster. It's been 20 years since we've seen him on the course winning in the states. I like Nick as a broadcaster. I never once thought of Sir Nick and TaylorMade when going in to buy a wedge, irons, or driver.
the dean has spoken haha

Interesting. I wonder if it's just an iron deal or if he has a deal for woods too. I'm with ddec that he probably has more marketability in Europe. In the U.S. many young people see him as a broadcaster and only know he won the masters or other majors because of the conversation during broadcasts. In Europe the various golfing generations know the "greats" regardless of how long ago,they may have played.

Maybe he will wear a Mizuno vest under his suit jacket on broadcast. This is really not a big signing in my opinion, unless he gets into some funny commercials like Feherty for bridgestone.

He doesn't even play on the Senior tour does he? This must just be a big name association deal for Mizuno. After all, he is Sir Nick and a Hall of Famer which is what they want , I guess! I find him annoying as a broadcaster!

Maybe he will wear a Mizuno vest under his suit jacket on broadcast. This is really not a big signing in my opinion, unless he gets into some funny commercials like Feherty for bridgestone.

It's probably just an equipment deal since he has his own line of apparel.

Doesn't move the needle for me

It's probably just an equipment deal since he has his own line of apparel.

Doesn't move the needle for me

I didn't know he had an apparel line. I was actually trying to be funny as CBS would never let that happen without some big money.

I didn't know he had an apparel line. I was actually trying to be funny as CBS would never let that happen without some big money.

Haha I figured, I didn't really have anything to contribute to the thread, your comment was my window in

Here's my shocked face that the Edel thing didn't work out....wait, there isn't one.

Always been a fan of Sir Nick and Mizuno is a brand that seems to be strong in golf in Europe than here. Hopefully he has some solid insight to give to them on some of their products. There blades are awesome, but rest of their lineup is just...meh.

He doesn't play on the Champions Tour.
He doesn't teach.
When providing color commentary the Mizuno logo(s) will not be visible.
He's not McIlroy, Rose, Willet, Stenson, Sergio or Casey, Kaymer, Poulter or McDowell, or Bello.

Maybe there are some pro-ams and several corporate outings that make this make sense for Mizuno. But, I can't imagine they are paying him very much. Heck, it could just be a club/bag deal.

Faldo used to play Mizuno irons back in the day when he was winning at Augusta. Looks like he came full circle. I'd like to see him leave the booth and play full time on the Champions Tour. I really do enjoy him in the booth though, I would much rather listen to him than Johnny Miller.

Not surprised by this really. Not a big thing in my mind though. Good for him.

I met Faldo at a Masters practice round in 2012. He was walking out of a side entrance of the club house and I asked if I could have a picture with him. He obliged, which he didn't have to do. I had always heard he had a prickly demeanor, but he showed none of that. I like him as a commentator and now think he's probably a decent guy.

Of course that won't make me buy any clubs, but I don't see this as a bad move.

I honestly didn't realize he really played much anymore. I don't think it's a huge signing for the U.S. but maybe he still has more influence in Europe.

Pretty sure Faldo gamed Mizuno blades for awhile in his heyday. I'm at work so it's too difficult to look it up. Somehow he feels more relevant than Luke Donald right now.

Interesting sign. I like it!

Very odd to sign a guy that is only relevant on TV. Not sure how they will use him. Just a head scratcher how some marketing teams work.

agree with this, they will use him for commercials probably.
lukes not doing to good these days.

Not exactly the injection of youth the brand needs at least here in the US.

Back