PKorf

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
0-10
971c72732218c6956170e295e5cb3ff4.jpg

In an interesting twist of irony, this will equate to my 1,000 post. After what seemed like a pretty odd evening last night I happened to notice that I was sitting at 999.

I will be frank on a few things as long as everyone is willing to listen. The first few months of this journey have been "interesting". I joined having really zero understanding of what all this community was about. I came in with "guns a blazing" I guess you could say. In the midst of a regional rivalry thread where all of my local guys knew eachother very well and they didn't know me, I was the loud one so to speak. The loud new guy. I could tell people were put off by me a bit and I wasn't sure if I should keep on plowing, change things up, or leave all together. I think this may be a common feeling amongst newbies. Hell, I was even told by a certain member that (paraphrasing) "we are used to new guys coming in and blowing it up in hopes of getting free stuff. Then, once they get it they're gone. There are a lot of us who have put in their dues and it just takes time." What was most ironic about that was the fact that I had zero idea what he was talking about. I didn't even really branch out enough to understand what could potentially be won....bought or the experiences that come with either and furthermore had no clue what putting in you're dues had to do with anything. I have always understood the mantra of THP but never really fully understood how to utilize it for what it actually is. I was told by a few veterans to branch out and explore. Ironically, when you're new, that's the hardest part. I wanted to stick around where my buddies were because that's what most humans tend to do. Not to mention the fact that when you're asked by certain people to branch out, a newbie can't help but think they are using the site the wrong way.

So....I changed my forum name. No more PinSlayer (which in hindsight sounds like I was 14yrs old) Pkorf burst on to the scene a new man. A guy that sometimes rubbed people the wrong way but for the most part just wanted to be more and more involved. I branched out and have been able to understand as time goes on what makes this place tick. Sometimes it's golf related other times it's not. Either way, it has been suggested that if I disagree with someone or something I shouldn't do it in a condescending manner but with a smile on my face. That's rang true for the 2nd or 3rd time last night since joining THP. I'm an opinionated person. Right ,wrong or indifferent sometimes I come off the wrong way via text. I've gotten into deep conversations where I disagree with someone on here and it doesn't turn to a **** show. Other times I've gotten into similar conversations and it has went a way that none of us ever intended for it to go. Placing no blame whatsoever on anyone except for myself here. If one thing rings true with me, it's that I am deeply passionate about golf and anything else I love and believe in. Because so many users in here have been around for such a long time and developed a bond of friendship outside of THP, it can be a little daunting for a "newbie" to understand or even comprehend the dichotomy of that friendship or relationship. It's not easy let me tell ya. It's not easy especially when you are just trying to be yourself.

With that being said I hope to reach out to newbies often. They deserve just as much if not more inclusion and banter than anyone else who has "put in their dues." I'm certain if they give it a chance and wade their way through the various pools of uncertainty they too can enjoy THP as much as I have in my first 1000 posts. It's been different, it's been eye opening, it's been fun getting to know people and see how their forum presence is verses their in person presence. Sometimes it's the complete opposite of how they are perceived to come across in this form.

Now the fun part!!! To commemorate my 1,000th post I'd like to give away a signed Golf Digest to one of my fellow THPers. It was signed in person at Firestone CC 2yrs ago by Keegan Bradley. It would make a great piece to frame for someone (if you don't mind having my old address square on it lol) here's a pic:
f1d2d1bcaa5db02360baf26b3a57a48f.jpg

How to win: Simply tell me what THP means to you and some struggles you've had since you've joined. The more I know and understand about this place and it members, the better.

I'll choose the winner on Masters Sunday! Who knows, maybe Keegan will win it! (Doubtful)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not entering. But I'll share my experiences as a "newbie" in July 2014 in hopes it helps you and other new members.

I found the forum via a twitter post from Chad Coleman of Callaway talking about something called The Morgan Cup. So I clicked on the link to the event. it was about 30 days out from the event, teams had been chosen, and everyone was in full prep mode. I continued to read the thread, and was blown away how 24 guys (if I'm correct for that year) could all be treated like Tour Pros for a weekend at one of the best resorts in America and that several OEM's, not just Callaway were all part of making it happen.

I too noticed right off the bat that there was a natural camaraderie between these team members, after all they had been working toward this event for over six months I believe. I wasn't put off by it, but at times I did also feel like an outsider. But I didn't let that stop me from posting comments from time to time and asking questions to try and get to know more. Without fail, many members eagerly answered my questions. Sure there was still part of me that felt like this was for those that had been here a while, but that didn't' bother me, i felt it was probably justified. I've since realized that was a missed perception on my part.

When the event came, I followed it as closely as possible, I then "branched out" into other areas of the forum and felt more part of the normal conversation. I met one particular local THP'er (T2GRN18) who is what you'd probably consider a lifer. But in reality, he is just a guy who found the awesomeness of this place, and went to a few events right off the bat and got to know many people, and his natural shoot straight personality makes you like him right off the bat. He helped me feel welcome and I joined in a local thread (much like you did in Ohio) and the number of people I knew grew over time.

Then I went to my first official event in September of 2014, about 1 year after joining. That changed everything for me. Guys I had been reading posts and reviews from over a year were all of a sudden, real guys right there next to me in the game room of a resort having beers and shooting the bull-crap and teeing it up with me during a round. You know what i discovered. They weren't lifer's or celerity posters or anything of the sort. They were regular guys, who like me loved this game and everything about it, equipment, top notch resorts and the chance to share it with like minded people regardless of ability.

I have since played rounds in events with guys who are staff members here and are some of the best sticks on the site. I never once felt anything less than them (even though the scores suggest otherwise) or that my thoughts didn't matter.

The point is, do "branch out". There is a difference in having an opinion and being a jerk in expressing it, (not saying that's you, but goes to everyone). You know Harry Arnett set the Golden Rule at the First Grandaddy "Don't be a Dick" that has been adopted for just about everything THP. If people new members and old follow that rule, conversations on any subject can be had without anyone feeling they were picked on or couldn't express an thought.

BTW, congrats on the 1,000th post.

Last edited:
Welcome to the 1k club dude. I've made about 100,000 posts on the internets beween this site and a few hockey ones, and I've had my struggles along the way. Sarcasm, dry humour, and things of that nature are really really hard to portray in text, and that's tough for me because I'm a big fan of joking around.

One thing I did early on, and continue to do, is read back my posts if it's in direct conversation with someone to see if anything can be taken the wrong way. I love great golf discussion, and if I can help to avoid any confusion, I think it makes for a better thread for others to read back through and then share your own thoughts.

Finally, it took me a very very long time to realize that a differing opinion wasn't an attack on me, but rather, just a different opinion (especially in a thread I created). Returned volleys, even those without tact, can be an open door for a greater conversation.

Here's to the next 1,000 dude, and I look forward to chatting with you in person some time this year. Well done on the contest - I'll bow out personally as I am pretty fortunate as is, but I know it'll get someone excited to have!

Welcome to the 1k club dude. I've made about 100,000 posts on the internets beween this site and a few hockey ones, and I've had my struggles along the way. Sarcasm, dry humour, and things of that nature are really really hard to portray in text, and that's tough for me because I'm a big fan of joking around.

One thing I did early on, and continue to do, is read back my posts if it's in direct conversation with someone to see if anything can be taken the wrong way. I love great golf discussion, and if I can help to avoid any confusion, I think it makes for a better thread for others to read back through and then share your own thoughts.

Finally, it took me a very very long time to realize that a differing opinion wasn't an attack on me, but rather, just a different opinion (especially in a thread I created). Returned volleys, even those without tact, can be an open door for a greater conversation.

Here's to the next 1,000 dude, and I look forward to chatting with you in person some time this year. Well done on the contest - I'll bow out personally as I am pretty fortunate as is, but I know it'll get someone excited to have!

And always remember to use smileys, aliens, "hahaha's", and lol's liberally to prevent people from assuming things and reading into posts as much as possible.

Welcome to the 1,000 post club! Very cool of you to do this!

Welcome to the 1,000 club, not quite the same as the mile high club but pretty close.

Congrats on the 1k and hopefully you stick around for many more milestones. This is a nice contest but i won't be entering.

Awesome milestone!!!! Congrats!!!

Congratulations! Sounds like you've achieved several important milestones.
party0005.gif

Congrats on the milestone, glad you're here at THP.

It's the internet, don't sweater the small stuff and just do you.

Great contest, however not a Keegs fan so I'm going to pass on this one.

My trip to 1,000

Official entires:

Agent Jay
Gizmo3putt
Jrex1434
JCoop
Mtcowdog
Musicmaster6921
Shanewu
Mmaynadr11

Keep em coming! The more info the better it helps me understand this crazy awesome place!

Last edited:
My trip to 1,000

1000 posts since Dec! That is some vigorous post production! Congratulations.

THP has been a learning experience for me. And it's me, not THP. The community is awesome. For my over active mind -- been looking for an off switch for decades -- joining was like jumping into rapids and then learning how to swim. The conversation is broad, dynamic, and moves faster than a speeding bullet. But that was also part of the appeal. Starting to have more fun here. I even bought my first after market driver shaft. How can I be a THPer without more than one driver shaft?

:alien: :surrender::wavey: haha lol

Last edited:
Congrats on the milestone! Took me almost my first year to really jump in and try to become move involved with THP.

Thanks everyone! How come so many people don't want to enter?

Thanks everyone! How come so many people don't want to enter?

For me. I'm just not into autograph collectibles. So I'd rather leave it for someone that is. Truly nice gesture though on your part.

Cool gesture and milestone! I hit that mark a few weeks back but didn't realize when I was close. LOL

It's always interesting and often challenging when you join a group or community to figure out if and where you fit in, how you can contribute to it, what makes it tick, etc.

My time here so far has been more fun and rewarding than I would have ever expected, and I hope others feel as fortunate as I do to have found this great golf hangout, home of some really incredible people, great content and mind-blowing contests!

Thanks so much for the comments everyone. People can still enter the giveaway til Saturday evening!

I'll be picking the winner of the signed Keegs Golf Digest probably around 5:00

Family straight to the point. I've found and made some life long friendships on here. Throw my name in.

Will do brother!

Official entires:

Agent Jay
Gizmo3putt
Jrex1434
JCoop
Mtcowdog
Musicmaster6921
Shanewu
Mmaynadr11

Keep em coming! The more info the better it helps me understand this crazy awesome place!

Updated entries

Getting ready to do a randomizing on random.org

My apologies for the delay. Got a little sidetracked by The Masters and cooking dinner.

I will randomize the list of 8 names, 5 times. Whoever is listed in the #1 spot on the last randomizing will win the signed copy of Golf Digest!

https://vimeo.com/162307739

As the video indicates....mr. "Shanewu" is the -"Trip to 1,000 Posts" winner!!!!!

He will be getting a signed copy of Golf Digest personally signed by Keegan Bradley. (Sorry no COA, was signed in person @ Firestone C.C. At the Bridgestone Inv.)

If Shanewu could pm me tonight or tomorrow I will have this puppy shipped no later than tomorrow! Thanks to everyone for responding and hopefully more of these to come in the future!

Back