What Clubs for an Older, Retired Guy?

McRock

Reaction score
Handicap
I never liked these kinds of threads, and yet here I am, posting one.

Background, I started my own business 6 months ago. For the past 2 months, my Dad has come out of retirement to be my secretary. He is leaving in a week to go back to retirement. He refused to let me pay him.....so like any good son, I'm going to ignore him, and while I'm not "paying" him, I am going to get him a gift. I'm not positive of what gift I'll get him, but new golf clubs are on the list of possibilities.

Yes, it would be better to get him a gift card and maybe an appointment to go get fit. And I'm considering that as well. Problem is, he lives in the Lake of the Ozarks area. I've been to a few golf shops in his area (both chain and local club shops), and I've been confronted with people who have an astoundingly poor knowledge of golf clubs and golf club technology. Maybe someone has a trustworthy shop they know where he could get fit.

In the absence of that, I'm doing everything I dislike. I'm getting clubs off the rack, and then I'm going to pay someone to bend the clubs to fit him. So I'm looking for suggestions.

The Nitty Gritty:

He's old enough to be recently retired. Slower swing. Hits driver 220 when he strikes it well, but 200 is probably average with it. He has back issues, with his most recent surgery being about a year ago. He's also a bit of a "scooper" when it comes to hitting the ball, which I attribute to his fear of hitting the ground too hard and tweaking his back. He currently uses very old Taylormade Firesole irons. He plays maybe a dozen times per year, though he always tells me he's going to join an 'old man's' league and play every week. He used to play golf all the time (like 2-3 times per week).

So let's hear those recommendations. He's learned to like hybrids, so sets with 3 and 4 hybrids are fine. It can be a set that is 2 or maybe 3 years old. At this stage, anything is an upgrade for him. Most importantly, the iron should offer plenty of distance/forgiveness (so think GI and SGI).

Thanks everyone

~Rock

The first that comes to mind for me are the SpeedBlades. Lots of forgiveness low off the face and distance retention on off center hits is very good. At address, the profile is pretty traditional.

I am 61, but my back is in decent shape and I do a some flexibility training on a daily basis. Too many older guys surrender to their back or lack of flexibility and limit their game. I'd say first get him into PT for his back, pick up a simple flex program -- a simple one that is not difficult is the Joey D video and his few pieces of equipment - big ball, tubes, a few bands for his legs -- only 20 minutes and fairly easy. It's a start and may be the end --- but it's something. Old men tend to lose their balance, and balance is key in golf -- so he needs to put in some work that will add to his overall health and help his game at the same time. I'd also get something called GOLFLEXX - look it up - it's an easy addition to a stretch. Probably the R flex.

Clubs - try the Callaway XR16 in a high loft with a very light shaft -- the 42-50g shaft is an option and then cut it to 45 inches on a custom order and ask Callaway to get it to D1-D2. It is a light aerodynamic club that is very forgiving and adjustable. They will do their best to hit that swingweight number. Go to callaway.com, customize the club, and call Callaway to get the swingweight right -- don't order it without the phone call and mentioning the length and swingweight you want.

Hybrids -- the best old man hybrid I know, and I play them and the senior market is their best market is Bobby Jones Hybrids - the Black -- they are face cupped and easy - order them at least .5-.75 inches less than standard. A very classy looking hybrid with great headcovers - seriously. And I've hit them all over the last 18 years. The most versatile hybrid on the market, imho, and best they come in at 21, 25, 30, 35. I would get the 30 and 35, and then your dad would only need 8-PW in irons. They also have a great hot feel and are easy to get up in the air. I think the 21, and 25 will be too tough for him as to consistency because of shaft length and clubhead size (bigger head = better forgiveness with the right head), but who knows, so for the 21 and 25, see below.

As to the 21 and 25 slots, you want something with a low COG for more carry time, so I'd opt for the Callaway GBB 7 and 9 wood, or the 9 wood alone at .75 inches less than standard length. Shorter length = better consistency.

As to fairway, try the GBB 5 wood and set it to 19 degrees, and see what happens.

Lots of options out there, but as an older guy, the above is where I'd look first.

Irons - start at the Ping G Irons in a graphite shaft in 8-PW, UW, and SW. The LW at only 58 deg is a consideration. Why? Forgiving, long and industrial strength to last long time.

Since it's a gift, and it's your Dad ....

Last edited:
Maybe a set of Adams Idea Hybrid irons?

adams-new-idea-hybrid-irons-split-640x360_0.jpg

X2 on any non pro xr line and the new higher lofted fairways are better than hybrids for me.

There was just a thread about Jet having 199.00 sale on Adams blue hybrid and irons. Free shipping. I have the driver and love it.. and I am 59 slow swing speed, my drives went from 185 to 220

I fit your profile ... Callaway XR OS Irons, and Mizuno JPX EZ driver ...

What Clubs for an Older, Retired Guy?

I got my dad a set for Christmas and he is older with a very slow swing speed. Got him a light shafted d200 driver and cobra baffler xl irons. He played the best golf I've ever seen him play with those. I am now looking for a light shafted heavenwood for him because he would crush that.
Also I hit the cobra max hybrids and those are super easy to hit. I would guess with a light shaft they would be perfect for someone that is older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd suggest finding a set of Cleveland Altitudes. The thread has over 4100 posts with over 275,000 views. They are stupid easy to hit.

I'd suggest finding a set of Cleveland Altitudes. The thread has over 4100 posts with over 275,000 views. They are stupid easy to hit.
I was going to say Cleveland Black irons and Altitude drivers, with some CB wedges and a 2135 putter.

If I was going the straight up easy to hit route, that's where I'd go. Also, for clubs only a year old, those irons are going for stupid prices on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cleveland-C...600483?hash=item3f619cb8a3:g:9tIAAOSw2GlXGmO6

Yes, it would be better to get him a gift card and maybe an appointment to go get fit. And I'm considering that as well. Problem is, he lives in the Lake of the Ozarks area. I've been to a few golf shops in his area (both chain and local club shops), and I've been confronted with people who have an astoundingly poor knowledge of golf clubs and golf club technology. Maybe someone has a trustworthy shop they know where he could get fit.

Very nice gesture Rock. If the 1.5 hour drive to Springfield Mo isn't too far, Ryan at Grips Golf is a very knowledgable fitter using Trackman. He's right off 65, just a few miles south of the 44/65 interchange, so about as convenient as anywhere in SGF to Lake Ozark. http://www.gripsgolf.com/ and/or https://www.facebook.com/Grips-Golf-Club-Repair-LLC-112811548782322/ Several local THPers use Ryan. As for club recommendations. I'm old/retired too and normally hit my drives about as short as your dad. Loving my new f6 irons. I can't believe how much better I hit them.

I'm 64 with a bum shoulder and I'm in the 200 yard range with my driver so I can relate. I plan to retire at the end of this year and I recently bought my retirement set of clubs.

I ended up with Callaway XR OS irons with Project X senior flex shafts. The Project X are the same stock shafts that are in the XR irons and are free factory option. Ping GMax irons are also a good choice. I think the XR OS feel softer on impact. I went with a 5i to SW. These irons are very easy to hit. They get up and go straight.

I elected to go with Cobra Fly-Z XL driver a fairway woods. The Driver is an 11.5*. The woods are a 22* 7 wood and a 19* 5 wood and no 3 wood. All are senior/lite flex. I decided to go with the Cobra XL's because they are about the only ones that have offset. While offset is considered a dirty word by many, the offset does make it easier to get the face squared and these are particularly easy to hit. I think the current offering is called MAX.

My recommendation is to get golf specific gift cards, not a Dick's sporting goods card. Golfsmith or similar is best since he can hit whatever he wants and buy whatever he wants. You can get a manufacturer's gift card but that would mean that your Dad would have to order online and it would limit his selection. The nice thing about a golf gift card is that it almost forces him to go and get clubs or let the card go to waste. And getting fit would really be beneficial in helping him get the right clubs.

Also, good for you for this gesture. I really hope you are able to put together a good gift for him.

John

Nice gesture for your dad McRock

I am going to throw the Srixon line in the mix for you to think about as well - I have the Z545 and they are very easy to hit, if the newer Z355 is an option then maybe have a look at those too? Throw in some Nippon lightweight shafts and they could be a good choice

I tried several brands while being fitted for irons last year. I tried Callaway, Wilson, Cobra, Ping, and Taylormade. I ended up with the Cobra Max irons. I am 63 with two total hip replacements. They were really easy to hit and added 10 - 15 yards to my game. I got more height and distance with the Max irons than any of the others. I am now playing all Cobra except my wedges are Cleveland and a Cleveland TFI 8.0 putter.

I'm 64 with a bum shoulder and I'm in the 200 yard range with my driver so I can relate. I plan to retire at the end of this year and I recently bought my retirement set of clubs.

I ended up with Callaway XR OS irons with Project X senior flex shafts. The Project X are the same stock shafts that are in the XR irons and are free factory option. Ping GMax irons are also a good choice. I think the XR OS feel softer on impact. I went with a 5i to SW. These irons are very easy to hit. They get up and go straight.

I elected to go with Cobra Fly-Z XL driver a fairway woods. The Driver is an 11.5*. The woods are a 22* 7 wood and a 19* 5 wood and no 3 wood. All are senior/lite flex. I decided to go with the Cobra XL's because they are about the only ones that have offset. While offset is considered a dirty word by many, the offset does make it easier to get the face squared and these are particularly easy to hit. I think the current offering is called MAX.

My recommendation is to get golf specific gift cards, not a Dick's sporting goods card. Golfsmith or similar is best since he can hit whatever he wants and buy whatever he wants. You can get a manufacturer's gift card but that would mean that your Dad would have to order online and it would limit his selection. The nice thing about a golf gift card is that it almost forces him to go and get clubs or let the card go to waste. And getting fit would really be beneficial in helping him get the right clubs.

Also, good for you for this gesture. I really hope you are able to put together a good gift for him.

John

Sounds like a solid setup.

Back