Sole Size and Shape

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
How much do you pay attention to the size and shape of the sole of your irons?

It can be a big deal, if the irons perform then i'll game them. I played MTs for a season and they were great, very chunky though. Better forgiveness than my DPFs but i play them just fine. But i do like the sole of the DPFs better

I really like when irons have a little beveled edge on the front. Have enjoyed that since my J40 DPC. Outside of that, I really don't pay that much attention to the sole shape.

Somewhat...not a deal breaker though. These days, I prefer a mid-width sole with moderate top line - don't need blades but don't want an enormous footprint either.

Depending on the iron. Pay more attention to a wedge sole than a regular iron. I usually try and look for something that is not too big and chunky, but on the other hand, I need something more than a blade type sole however, not as critical as a wedge sole.

Ive gamed everything from muscle backs to speedblades. I dont think the size of the sole or top line bothers me that much anymore. Im to the point where performance matters to me wayyyy more than looks.

Decent amount. I like to look at the sole and feel comfortable with the perceived turf interaction. I'm with cookie, I prefer a mid-sized sole on my irons.

Doesn't really matter to me all that much. I'm more concerned with performance than looks.

Sole size and shape doesn't bother me, but offset does. I've never been comfortable with any irons that have any type of shaft offset. They just look right to me.

Somewhat. I do notice oversized soles size and they bother me from a mental standpoint more than anything. As far as shape, I havent really paid any attention.

i don't look at or pay attention to grinds on irons. a company can tout why theirs is better than others, but i don't know enough about it to care. the only thing i don't want is a wide sole from leading to trailing edge on an iron. i don't want a super duper thin width like you see with a tiny blade, but i won't game a sgi profile. i think my beloved j15df irons have a decent amount of bounce, but i don't find the sole width to be distracting. i hated the i25 profile for some reason.

I don't pay much attention to it at all. If the club performs, that's really all I care about.

A very interesting question, I doubt I pay as much attention as I should!

It's not a huge deal for me - I think some companies are doing some innovative things there, like Hogan and Srixon with the V sole.

I think even the folks making larger soled irons have done a great job making them "play smaller". Take the G irons I'm playing now, for instance. If you sole the club, you see that a lot of the trailing edge is relieved, so you're not seeing contact with the whole sole. At the same time, you get the lower CG, better launch.

Otherwise, I'm w/ ddec on the front edge - something that's crazy sharp is not necessarily the best for me, since it's going to dig on fat shots.

After I own them, basically not at all. In fact, I'm not sure I ever pay attention to the sole shape (except on wedges). But even before I buy clubs, all I look for in sole size is something in the middle to slightly smaller than the middle.

~Rock

The size is important to me and I want something with a smaller width sole. I put little thought into the actual design before this weekend, but would say I'm 100% sold on a V-sole style design.

it's a big thing for me. I do NOT like chunky, Sam I am!
I want my club soles and toplines on the slimmer side. I prefer something like the MP-5s below or the soles on the Hogan Ft. Worth irons.

mp-5-1.jpg

Not something I pay much attention to. I usually focus on top line and the overall size

Not so much the sole as I do the top line for me. If I like the look of the top line and how it sets up behind the ball, then I don't really care how the sole of the club looks if it performs the way I want.

I don't want big chunky shovels on the end of a stick, so I guess I think about it a little, but as someone that gets fitted for clubs, I ultimately use what works best for me.

whew...I am not on point today...

I pay a little attention regarding the soles of my irons. I am trying to be more open minded. I still like little sexy irons, but I understand that sole heft can help. I am trying to work through my own issues on that.

I don't/haven't played attention to soles other than knowing as i've gotten better I prefer a more "player" type sole, but most of the GI sets out there IMO all offer great turn interaction without taking away from playability. Currently i will say the Srixon Z545 v-sole is my favorite.

I pay a lot of attention, it is a deciding factor in whether or not I purchase said irons.

Irons that offer some leading edge relief is pretty big for me. Srixon VT sole is absolutely amazing as I can get a bit steep. As far as size it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. The overall profile and presentation is something I look at more

I never really paid attention before, but I love the way the cf16s perform through the turf, it appears that they have an aggressive cut away and I noticed this shows a unique dirt pattern which I haven't noticed on previous irons that I have gamed. I will have to pay more attention moving forward.

Back