Ball Position Woods Irons Wedges

OITW

Reaction score
Hey FK, thanks for doing this on National Instruction Day, this is fantastic.

I've been struggling with my 3W lately and I don't have video to post (i believe i'm teeing it up similar to my driver), but in some of your previous mentions you state the swing is the same ball position changes though by club.

Could you tell me where I should be playing the ball position wise in my stance for my woods/irons/wedges?

Thanks for all you do Tadashi!

Oh, this is a GREAT question!

Ill be interested in this answer. I think at times when i get lost with the driver ball position has a pretty big role in it

Ball Position Woods Irons Wedges

Let's use the belly button as center. The 7 iron starts here for a stock shot from a stock position. Each club moves forward or back from this point. Hold....

At dentist...give me a few

Ok, so center is the 7 iron. The 6 is slightly forward of that and each club as it gets longer moves toward the front heal. As it gets shorts it moves toward the rear foot.

Stance should be at least shoulder width and weight toward balls of the feet. Now you can open or close the hips and change the position of the ball and there by change the flight of the ball. Back with a longer club will give a low ball flight. Further forward will give you a higher ball. Play with this at the range and learn what your clubs can do in various positions in relation to your hips.

Last edited:
Let's use the belly button as center. The 7 iron starts here for a stock shot from a stock position. Each club moves forward or back from this point. Hold....

At dentist...give me a few

That's some serous dedication FK....good luck!

Wedges - Center of my stance (but stance is narrower)
Rest of irons - about 1.5 ball forward of center (But stance gets slightly wider)

Driver - Ball in line with big toe of my front foot (YMMV, some people will tee it up just inside front foot)
FWY - Just inside front foot
Hyb - 1 ball back of FWY

Irons

with the 7i as my "start" point, the back of the ball/clubface, is right at my midpoint of stance.

6i-4i i will move the ball up about a half-ball width for each club up from 7i.

from 8-Wedges i will do the same, but move the ball back more.

Of course with wedges you can move the ball wherever you need it to change the trajectory of the shot.

Back