I Need More Power Freddie!! AKA How Do I Engage the Lower Body?

DufferToo

101 Putters and Holding
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Putters
My National Instruction Day Question.

I have been working on swinging through the ball vs hitting the ball. I maintain my tempo while getting that nice "swoosh" through the impact zone and ending in a stable "finish". During any full swing, regardless of the club, I try to replicate the feel that produces the swoosh. Being relaxed through my swing has definitely helped in increasing distance and reducing the topped shots.

However, I'm a short (but straight) hitter. Driver carry is only 220-230, 7i is only 140-145. My lower body, while stable and in sync, doesn't seem to be bringing anything to the table. When I attempt to involve my lower body I pull my arms across to the point that I can feel the breeze from the club on my left leg. The slice across the ball results in either a push or the ball bouncing sharply to the right on impact.

My question:

What drill(s) can I do that will engage my lower body so I can increase my power yet keep my upper body moving properly?

Thanks Panda for taking care of THPers.

The key to distance is stored power released at impact. So a good coil of the upper body against the lower will give you the stored energy. It sounds to me like you aren't storing enough energy on the back swing. This could be due to a number of reasons. I don't know which but let's try to fix this.

As we get older, our hip will follow our shoulders. And while this is ok, it will limit your power output. But there is a trick to getting a bit more out of this type of swing. And that is keeping your back to the target as you arms begin to swing down from the top. Nothing changes, you just make a conscious effort to keep you back at the target a fraction of a second longer. Your lower body is already involved and will release as it has been. The arm will follow but you back keeps the arms from swinging to far and once engaged the chest will get in front of the arms.

The chest mirrors the back. The delay in upper trunk rotation is enough to create a bit of lag in the swing and there by creating a bit more power. As this drill gets more familiar to you, you'll be able to increase the speed of you arms and add even more power. It's all about learning how to sync this new move together.

I don't know how much you will see in distance gains but you will see some. As you grow more comfortable with the move you'll see greater club head speed and more distance. I am of course basing this tip on the fact that your hips are following your shoulder turn.

I like that thought! I'm going to give it a try! Thanks Freddie!!!

Duffer,
When you find a way to release this, you are going to be quite surprised with how good you can get.

That's something I need to work on too....Thanks Freddie.

You are correct, my hips partially turn with my shoulders.

I will get some mirror time in until everything is back in sync and then work on the speed.

Thank you again Freddie.

Back