Getting New Putter Thoughts and Opinions on the Putting Stroke

StacktActor

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to get a new putter and so far I have spent about 3 hours trying all different types at the local Golf Town. I struggle to find any consistency, I'm sure as most do, but this is makes it tough to know what type of putter I should be getting. I have owned an Odyssey White Ice #9 and and still own a Versa 330 Mallet, both of which I have had similar results. The Versa is less toe hang at a slight hang vs the #9 at virtually full toe hang. The lack of noticeable difference in performance is likely the result of an inconsistent stroke. Currently, I try to keep my eye slightly inside to right over top of the ball with my arms hanging comfortably, yet at the same time a snug connection of my arms above my elbow against my rib cage. This in turn creates and arcing stroke when tanking the arms back by simply rotating my upper body they're connected to.

Longs story short, below are my questions to all are:

1. How do you putt? What methods do you use to help ensure a consistent putting stroke?

2. How did you determine what putter to buy for yourself? Was there a science to it or was it just feel? How important do you think it is that the SBST stroke should have a face-balanced putter or an arc type stroke should have a toe hang putter?

3. Any suggestions to help improve my putting stroke (based off of my description above)?

SIDE NOTE: I have access to a Nike MOD 60 or an Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #1 Wide for free through a rewards points program at my work. I will likely be getting one of these two putters. Has anyone ever tried these putters out? If you have, let me know what you thought!

1. How do you putt? What methods do you use to help ensure a consistent putting stroke?

I am a fan of Pat O'Brien and the philosophy behind the SeeMore putters. It has helped me be far more consistent and the upright stance has worked wonders for my back. I really enjoy practice know which makes me a better putter.

2. How did you determine what putter to buy for yourself? Was there a science to it or was it just feel? How important do you think it is that the SBST stroke should have a face-balanced putter or an arc type stroke should have a toe hang putter? I am not a fan of fitting for stroke. I prefer putters that are face balanced at impact which is where it matters most. Other than that I play what looks cool or fits my eye.

3. Any suggestions to help improve my putting stroke (based off of my description above)? The best thing I ever did was get some lessons. It eliminated some major flaws I had that would never have been corrected if I didn't have a pro take a look and help me make the needed corrections. SeeMore has cyber lessons available that were really helpful too.

I love my see more. It took a while to get the line dialed in but I've sunk a lot more 8'+ putts than I ever did before and I have almost eliminated the 3-putt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. How did you determine what putter to buy for yourself? Was there a science to it or was it just feel? How important do you think it is that the SBST stroke should have a face-balanced putter or an arc type stroke should have a toe hang putter?

3. Any suggestions to help improve my putting stroke (based off of my description above)?

I found the setup that let me see the line of the putt the best. For me this is eyes off the ball which creates a bigger arc than having my eyes over the ball. Also after having my putting stroke analyzed, we found that I have a stroke that is biased to the left.

I determined the putter to buy by trying a bunch and seeing which putter enabled me to hit my line consistently. I put a dime about 16" in front of a ball and tried to roll the ball over the dime with varying length strokes. You can vary the weight and offset to change how quickly the putter rotates during the stroke.

how do I putt? not very well. I tend to set up with the putter pointed to the right of my intended line, suck it way inside, then roll the face closed through impact.

how did I determine which putter to buy? I've been fitted twice and did not care for the putter either time, so I am not a fan of the science behind putter fittings. I believe putting is about confidence, so if you can find a shape/weighting/balance/feel(sound) that makes you feel like you can make anything, go with that. plenty of people with sbst strokes play with heavy toe hang putters, and plenty of arc strokes play with face balanced putters.

how to improve? putting is just about matching speed to line. I'm not sure you need to be mechanical about it. read unconscious putting by Dave Stockton, then practice putts of varying length. don't bang 100 6' putts in a row. putt from one spot then putt from a different spot. how many times in a round do you get the opportunity to hit the same putt twice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found the setup that let me see the line of the putt the best. For me this is eyes off the ball which creates a bigger arc than having my eyes over the ball. Also after having my putting stroke analyzed, we found that I have a stroke that is biased to the left.

I determined the putter to buy by trying a bunch and seeing which putter enabled me to hit my line consistently. I put a dime about 16" in front of a ball and tried to roll the ball over the dime with varying length strokes. You can vary the weight and offset to change how quickly the putter rotates during the stroke.

Thanks for the feedback. I can relate to missing on the left side, most of my misses are also there. We may have too much twist to the closed position at impact or even possibly and outside the line backstroke.... This is leading me to think if that if I adopt a way inside the line backstroke and a stiff left arm I may be able to help curb that issue.

I'm leaning towards that MOD 60 as it has a heavier toe hang.... Might be beneficial for the mental side of the game knowing "I have the correct putter for my stroke".... Confidence inspiring thinking maybe.

I got fitted for an Edel putter ... best money I ever spent on a golf club.

Thanks for the feedback. I can relate to missing on the left side, most of my misses are also there. We may have too much twist to the closed position at impact or even possibly and outside the line backstroke.... This is leading me to think if that if I adopt a way inside the line backstroke and a stiff left arm I may be able to help curb that issue.

I'm leaning towards that MOD 60 as it has a heavier toe hang.... Might be beneficial for the mental side of the game knowing "I have the correct putter for my stroke".... Confidence inspiring thinking maybe.

I have seen my stroke on a puttlab and it is an arc that is tilted to the left due to the fact that I am more left side dominant in my stroke. For me a putter that is almost heel shafted and about 1/4 offset works best for me. This matches the putters rotation to my natural stroke and I am able to obtain the proper face angle to hit my line more consistently. If you like putters with more offset, you can increase the weight to slow down the rotation as well. If you want to make different choices about your stroke, use the right side to power the stroke and you will most likely change the bias to be more right than left.

In the end you need to make decisions but it is best to understand how those decisions impact your stroke. You basically have 2 choices, build a stroke to fit a particular putter or pick a putter to fit your stroke. Both ways will work, one may be more difficult that the other.

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to get a new putter and so far I have spent about 3 hours trying all different types at the local Golf Town. I struggle to find any consistency, I'm sure as most do, but this is makes it tough to know what type of putter I should be getting. I have owned an Odyssey White Ice #9 and and still own a Versa 330 Mallet, both of which I have had similar results. The Versa is less toe hang at a slight hang vs the #9 at virtually full toe hang. The lack of noticeable difference in performance is likely the result of an inconsistent stroke. Currently, I try to keep my eye slightly inside to right over top of the ball with my arms hanging comfortably, yet at the same time a snug connection of my arms above my elbow against my rib cage. This in turn creates and arcing stroke when tanking the arms back by simply rotating my upper body they're connected to.

Longs story short, below are my questions to all are:

SIDE NOTE: I have access to a Nike MOD 60 or an Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #1 Wide for free through a rewards points program at my work. I will likely be getting one of these two putters. Has anyone ever tried these putters out? If you have, let me know what you thought!

Build a putter around your stance. Just like you would build a house - you would not start with the roof. You would start with a nice solid foundation. Then you start to build off of that. How do you build a solid and constant stance and setup...knowing that you are set up the same way for every single putt? Does not matter what length of putt or what amount of break you have in it. You are wanting to set up the same way - have the same posture, same set-up and same ball position.

The more consistent you are at something more than likely the more confident you become. By having this type of stance you will then not have to "manufacture" your putting stroke. Too many people "manufacture" or get their hands involved too much which will lead to putting "band-aids" on a putting stroke. With a consistent stance, posture and set-up, one will have a consistent and reliable putting stroke without feeling as if hands need to come into play. Therefore one does not need to feel as if they are thinking of making a SBST or arc to arc stroke. The set-up, posture and ball position is always going to be the same. Best way to accomplish this is with the use of a SeeMore putter and hiding the red dot.

We are always happy to help. Contact us at 615-435-8015 or info@seemore.com.

Loving my Carbon Putter. Thought I was SBST also, but I am stroking more consistent with my Ringo 1/4 which has a slight bit of toe hang. Check in with Kris @GolfWithFaith. He can fill you in on the particulars.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Build a putter around your stance. Just like you would build a house - you would not start with the roof. You would start with a nice solid foundation. Then you start to build off of that. How do you build a solid and constant stance and setup...knowing that you are set up the same way for every single putt? Does not matter what length of putt or what amount of break you have in it. You are wanting to set up the same way - have the same posture, same set-up and same ball position.

The more consistent you are at something more than likely the more confident you become. By having this type of stance you will then not have to "manufacture" your putting stroke. Too many people "manufacture" or get their hands involved too much which will lead to putting "band-aids" on a putting stroke. With a consistent stance, posture and set-up, one will have a consistent and reliable putting stroke without feeling as if hands need to come into play. Therefore one does not need to feel as if they are thinking of making a SBST or arc to arc stroke. The set-up, posture and ball position is always going to be the same. Best way to accomplish this is with the use of a SeeMore putter and hiding the red dot.

We are always happy to help. Contact us at 615-435-8015 or info@seemore.com.
I actually really liked some of the Seemore's I tried at the store, I quite enjoyed the centre shafted options I tried.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

A consistent setup is a good start, go with a putter that you don't have to think about the stroke but a target that you can putt to.

I know there's are fittings and methods and other in depth analysis about putting, but the most important thing is a target and you delivering that ball to target, if I told you to roll a ball with your hand to the cup, you wouldn't be thinking about your positions but where you'd start to ball to roll to the target.

Personally I believe that a consistent setup armed with a putter that allows you to putt to where you look, lots of practice is all you need.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I took lessons from Pat O'Brien from 2007-2009 and I've stayed with his neutral setup. Since 2009, I've updated myself with my current full swing instructor on his SAM Lab. He's also supplemented the path which Pat began.

Pat likes you more upright, but I bend over a little more now so my forearms remain against my rib cage during the stroke. Still, Pat does not want you hunched over. Feet square, shoulders back and down (a feeling), the club goes behind the ball but what is crucial is that you do not manipulate it to the ball. For example, stand up, hold your putter with arms against the chest and feet, knees, hips, shoulders, head all square to target, knees slightly bent. Now without moving your arms left or right, put the club down wherever it goes, whether it's on top of, in front of, or 2 inches behind the ball -- do not manipulate it. That will tell you if you are set up.

Also, when I get to address, last thing I do is close hips -- it's not closing them -- you'll notice that you are actually squaring them because they opened while you are getting into address.

The stroke itself, if the forearms remain tight to chest, is just a start with a whisper of the hands moving first, then turn the shoulders, not high, not low, no clubhead going way up after contact. It will follow a wide arc if you start the hands a whisper before the shoulders. Yes, and don't look up until the stroke is finished or you're screwed.

Google Pat O'Brien on youtube -

Science! I like the Edel method of starting with the putter that you aim straight. Should be plenty of Edel vids on youtube. The shape of the putter, the hosel, sight lines all effect how you see the line. So you must start with aim unless you want to make compensations.

Now if you do the above, you will not be SBST but you can still use a face balanced putter as with the above, you do not manipulate the stroke with your hands -- the clubhead stays square to the path although on a wide arc (but not unnaturally wide or narrow - just let it happen). Don't open or close the clubface. Keep forearms secure to rib cage - not tense - this is where you have some discretion and why I bend more from the hips because I want the forearms tight to the body - tight is a relative term - no tension. If my forearms get off the ribs, then path is screwed and so are you.

Yes, don't skrimp on getting a putter -- don't buy a putter because it's a good deal. If it does not fit, it is not a good deal. I'd rather buy once and buy right, and I learn that lesson too often. Find the weight and grip which feels right -- that means your speed is consistent so your putt ends up, if not in the hole, then no more than 12 inches past the hole. Your setup sounds fine, you're probably lacking detail -- see the above. lol.

4. How to read greens is another thread...
:D

My best advice is get some putting lessons. Golfers who can't hit their intended line on the greens normally have something wrong with their alignment, club path, or aim. I tried every putter and every putting style over a couple decades trying to improve my short and medium range make percentage with no success. I started taking putting lessons last year and discovered that my aim was right and my stroke was outside in. After just a couple lessons my putting improved. As a scratch golfer since my teens, I figured I didn't need any help with my putting but I couldn't have been more wrong. I'm now making more birdies because I set my ego aside and go get professional help when my putting is off.

Back