TinCupTampa

Bag Changes Coming!
Reaction score
I have a tendancy to let my right elbow get away from my body during my swing. Basically I dont think I am staying connected throughout the swing and have to rely heavily on timing vs having a consistant, solid, repeatable swing.

- What is the typical ball flight, end result, etc with this bad habit?
- Does this cause your wrists to be in the wrong position throughout the downswing?
- Is the headcover drill the best drill to use to develop better mechanics and avoid this?
- Any other drills and or advice?
- Do you think a chicken wing is a symptom of having a swing that is too long?

Thanks for your help! :bulgy-eyes:

The "flying right elbow" for a right handed player can lead to a number of shots. There are 2 typical misses The shot that goes high and right or the always fun low hook. This type of move doesn't lead to the hands and wrists being in the "wrong" spot it affects the hands at the impact possition. It is hard to get a consistant release. The best drill for this is to place a towel or a headcover under your arm and make swings from there. This sounds like a cheat but if you go with equipment that has heavier shafts that are a touch stiffer to help you get a more consistant shot pattern.

Thanks... I break the habit... then somehow it creeps back in.

The "flying right elbow" for a right handed player can lead to a number of shots. There are 2 typical misses The shot that goes high and right or the always fun low hook. This type of move doesn't lead to the hands and wrists being in the "wrong" spot it affects the hands at the impact possition. It is hard to get a consistant release. The best drill for this is to place a towel or a headcover under your arm and make swings from there. This sounds like a cheat but if you go with equipment that has heavier shafts that are a touch stiffer to help you get a more consistant shot pattern.

So should you be able to take a full swing with a towel under both arms? I think I might have a tendency towards the flying right elbow myself. My normal ball flight is a very high fade.

There are a few small swing flaws that lead to that type of shot. You should be able to make a relatively normal swing with a towel under your arms. If you are able to do this or come close and you see the same type of shot I would be curious does the ball start at the target and fade or does it start right and go right. I hesitate to mention this but if the swing is ok that is also a sign of a shft that might be a hair weak or has too much play in the tip for you. Let me know about the ball flight a little more if you would.

Back