The Short Game Bible: Pelz

scooterguitar

Slacker and Whiner
Reaction score
Handicap
3-8perhole
I am about done with this book. A decnt read, but filled wih lots of fluff and techie stuff on how he aqcuired his metods and stats. I don't really want his history, just show and tell me how to play. I am normally a fast reader, but I am reading slowly and rereading sections until the sink in.
All in all, it is sinking it and there is some very useful and informative info in it. I think the clock and wedge system is widely known now, so most of that is old news. However, some minor aspects are making lots of sense and go against what I have thought. I have learned from it, but won't know until I can affectively practice the techniques in the spring.

I really enjoyed this book a while back. As much as Pelz gets on my nerves at times, this book is a must read for any golfer in my mind.

I thought long and hard about this book but I have an incredibly difficult time taking away anything from text. I am certainly a multimedia kind of guy and love a DVD rather than a book. I find it tough to translate lessons from picture frames opposed to a moving image from video.

The book has some merit, it has a lot of fluff, probably could have been condensed down to almost half of what was in there while still conveying the same info.

Funny, I got about 3/4 way through and am at a standstill with it!

I have read it as well and it helped me a ton. Not so much the clock system, but also the tips about getting of the beach (out of bunkers). So all in all a great book, but yes it's not that well written and at times really hard to decifer.

Yup. I got the two books (putting & short game). Enjoyable read. Most of it would be beneficial to the pros with time on their hands to train/do the drills.

But i've rarely returned to the books - prefering to keep a few simple short game tactics/drills in mind.

RJ

It's a good read, lots info that will definitely help anyone. I have both his "bibles". He's a scientist, so his books will tend to be on the "techie" side.

I got this book as a gift a few years ago and just reading it without doing any of the drills probably took 4 or 5 strokes off my average round. It gave me a sense of all the factors I needed to consider before making a shot selection. That one thing was monumental in my development as a player. As everyone has said, it was like wading through molasses at times with all the stats, etc., but slipping past that, there was a lot of good info in there.

I didn't go to the 4 wedge system unless you consider a PW a true wedge, but I did adopt a modified 3 swing/3wedge system that improved my distance control significantly. If I didn't have a good short game, I'd be in the mid to upper 90's all the time.

Back