Best Municipal you've played

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
I played Pacific Grove Municipal on the Monterrey Peninsula just north of Pebble Beach in the middle of September this year. The back nine of Pacific Grove was the coolest nine I have played. The front, for looks, was like just another course; the back made this the favorite course I have played. The last three holes on the front, however, were all into the wind and we bogeyed all three holes in our scramble (we finished 1-under). the back nine turned into oo's and ahhh's from me after hole number ten when we turned toward the ocean. I learned what "ice-plant" is, and can understand why you take a drop from it; almost no chance to hit a good shot from it and a much better chance to break your wrist hitting from it!

This place is commonly known as "The poor man's Pebble Beach," since the designer of the back nine designed Pebble Beach.

EDIT: $45 with a cart, weekdays (Thanks Craig Mac, I forgot about price!)

Last edited:
I would say Castle Rock Golf Course. It is about 20 minutes outside of Virginia Tech. The course is set in the mountains and has some of the most breathtaking views. The nicest part is the most expensive rate there is $32 on the weekends with a cart. It is not a long course or that difficult a course, usually not that crowded either. Always had fun playing there.

Another similar course for a few bucks more is Hanging Rock Golf Course in Salem VA, which is a little harder/longer course and the top rate there is $37 with a cart on the weekend, here is a pic of the par 4 ninth hole. A tight fairway with water right from the tee, and the second shot is at least 100 yards uphill.
hole_5_2_big.jpg

Best muni I've ever played has got to be Hominy Hill in Colts Neck, NJ. Hominy is one of the beautiful courses in the Monmouth County parks system. I haven't played there in 20 years, but I can still play every hole in my mind. It's a classic Robert Trent Jones bruiser, brawny, muscular and it's all right in front of you.

Back in the 80s, before the days of the "private club for a day" public courses, Hominy was in GD's top 25 best public courses and hosted a couple USGA Publinx.

And as a muni, I used to be able to play it for $8 as a county resident. Don't know what they charge now.

Los Verdes, Palos Verdes, Ca and Long Beach Skylinks

Los Verdes, Palos Verdes, Ca and Long Beach Skylinks

Los Verdes was the first one to pop into my mind. Great views and a fun course. The greens there have the most 'break to the ocean' grain break I've ever played. I swear there are putts that look like they should break 2 feet one way, and it will break a foot the other way.

Pacific Grove isn't bad either!

Haven't played it yet, but walked it watching my pro play in a tournament.

Chambers Bay, WA.

PICT0038.jpg

PICT0062.jpg

I would say Castle Rock Golf Course. It is about 20 minutes outside of Virginia Tech. The course is set in the mountains and has some of the most breathtaking views. The nicest part is the most expensive rate there is $32 on the weekends with a cart. It is not a long course or that difficult a course, usually not that crowded either. Always had fun playing there.

Another similar course for a few bucks more is Hanging Rock Golf Course in Salem VA, which is a little harder/longer course and the top rate there is $37 with a cart on the weekend, here is a pic of the par 4 ninth hole. A tight fairway with water right from the tee, and the second shot is at least 100 yards uphill.
hole_5_2_big.jpg

That looks almost exactly like a hole on my home course.

Haven't played it yet, but walked it watching my pro play in a tournament.

Chambers Bay, WA.

PICT0038.jpg

PICT0062.jpg

I wan't to play Chambers Bay so bad. From the people I've talked too its be about 50/50 hit and miss.

For me, it's got to be Tangle Ridge:

http://www.tangleridge.com/

The pictures on the site do it no justice, it's a gorgeous course. It's a Jeffrey Brauer layout, and will challenge you on every single hole.

image002.jpg

This is a picture of the Par 3 17th, it's not particularly long, but for some darned reason, I always wind up at the back left of the green (sometimes in the bunker).

wow, those dont look like any of the municipal courses that are around here! those look awesome!

wow, those dont look like any of the municipal courses that are around here! those look awesome!

Well, I can tell you that the green fees at Chambers Bay aren't typical muni either:

ChambersBayfees.jpg

whoa .

That's nuts.

I thought $65 was high for a muni.

Hopefully, prices will drop once the course has been open for a few years.

But in the mean time, Robert Trent Jones II ain't cheap.
(it did get awarded a U.S. Amateur and a U.S. Open before it had even been open a year.)

Is it just me, or does the fountain seem tacky. It always reminds me of a mini golf course. It is something I dont seem to see at the newer courses.

My course has them at the range and the first hole. I used to think they were a little tacky. But as long as they are not in the way of the shot, I am good with them.

My course has them at the range and the first hole. I used to think they were a little tacky. But as long as they are not in the way of the shot, I am good with them.

What is the purpose of them though? Are they supposed to be a distraction?

Not on my course. Just for scenary.

What is the purpose of them though? Are they supposed to be a distraction?

They also help to circulate the water so it doesn't become stagnant & turn that lovely shade of green. The course I played this morning has 3 of them.

They also help to circulate the water so it doesn't become stagnant & turn that lovely shade of green.

I think your right Dyna, I should have known that. It must be cheaper then a underwater pump of some sort.

Dyna's right, they're for circulation.

If you don't keep water moving around here, it'll film over with algae or lillypads in almost no time (just a few days, it happens when the fountain's go out).

Without a doubt Torrey Pines South course. Some of the most beautiful views one can have on a course. I never cease to be amazed how good the pro's are to shoot as low as they do on this course.

Runner up is La Purisma in Lompoc, CA. The locals call is La Piranha and with good reason. If you don't have your A game it will eat you alive. 10 of the holes have completely blind tee shots and finding your ball can be an adventure even when you hit a good shot. Staff is awesome!!

I wan't to play Chambers Bay so bad. From the people I've talked too its be about 50/50 hit and miss.

I've played Chambers Bay a handful of times. I don't understand how it landed the 2015 U.S. Open. It's a nice course, extremely over rated in my opinion, but nice non the less. It can be brutal, especially when the wind is blowing. The views are nice, but I live near by so I see the same stuff on a regular basis. I will give it a couple of more years of growing up before I decide if it is worth the money or not. Even with the local rate, it is priced too high. For the money, I would play Druids Glen or Washington National or The Home Course. Chambers, to me, still has a "I am a golf course built in a gravel quarry" feel to it. I am playing it again next month, my brother in law is in town and want to play, so hopefully it will have grown on me a little more.

would have to be Corballis in Donabate, co Dublin. (ireland).

Bernhard langer used to play that often when designing the new Portmarnock course.

Back