Letting folks play through even if they didn’t ask.

BamBooBender

See-Moe
Reaction score
Handicap
My brain
Have you ever been a little too hasty, or generous, to let a group play through and then really regretted it?

That has happened to me a few times when playing with beginners and such. Most recently, a threesome caught up to my son,gf, and I , and sincethey were just starting out, I asked the group if they wanted to play through. They went ahead and wow was that a mistake!
I never saw any of them hit a single ball in the air, just skull it down the fairway 6 or 7 times to eventually get to the green. Somehow they still managed to lose balls, and then spend 10 minutes looking, or go get the ball grabber. It really made for a long day. I was scratching my head as to how they caught up anyway. When I have played with beginners, the ones I know at least, I will have them pick up, or drop a ball near mine to keep things going when the course is pretty busy to keep going rather just top ball after ball. (that makes me think of another question too)

Since then I haven’t been quite so quick to let folks play through if they don’t ask.

I usually make a plan to let people through and give them a hole to justify it.

Rarely do I see someone and immediately send them through. Too many variables.

This is the way to go...Canadan is wise.

I wave them thru with caution and watch them for a hole.You can tell by the swing and course etiquette how they will be.

I will let people play through as long as there is no one ahead of us on the current hole. If its a single I will almost always let them play through since they most likely will be playing a much faster pace than us. I haven't had anytime where we have regretted it.

I do this often, especially when playing with my Grand kids! Just makes the afternoon more relaxing even if we end up waiting!!

This has happened to me on a few occasions, let a group through because you don't want them breathing down your neck and 15 minutes later they are still on the hole taking their time. It's frustrating. I try to access the situation now, but still don't enjoy playing while looking over my shoulder. I think I'll just wait until I'm asked if the situation arises again.

There have been a few instances where I was walking as a single early in the AM and I'll have another single in a cart catch me and I wave them right on through. Don't think I've ever sent anyone through on the weekend though; I play at a popular muni so it is usually a full tee sheet.

I usually try to speed up my own play a little to see if they are still pushing me. If so, I ask if they want to play through.

I usually have watched how they have played behind me and if it makes sense then I'll let them play thru whether they ask or not. If we are going to be waiting regardless I won't offer and if they ask I'll explain the situation

I usually have watched how they have played behind me and if it makes sense then I'll let them play thru whether they ask or not. If we are going to be waiting regardless I won't offer and if they ask I'll explain the situation

Yep - if they are playing well and pushing me then I must be playing poorly or with someone who is so as long as it's open ahead, I'll let them through. Usually doesn't happen If I'm on pace or ahead of pace though. If I'm caught then it's usually because it's a log jam in front and letting them through doesn't solve that it only compounds the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the flip side, I have been waved up to join/play through by players and/or rangers while playing as a single. In several cases I didn't accept the offer since there was nothing behind me and it gave me opportunities to hit some Practice shots and work on some things. I actually throttled back and created a gap so they didn't feel like I was pushing them.

I usually only like to wave groups if they have less players than my group... Because I find that I have to wait on the group I just waved threw if they are of equal group size.

I will never let people go ahead unless I have watched them for a few holes beforehand. What I mean to say is that I'm not going to let someone thru who is a "hack" or beginner. Especially if there really is no where to go ahead of me.
Now on the other hand, if there is room ahead of my group and the players or group behind seems to be hitting the ball in play a lot (standing in the fairway, hitting GIR, etc.) then I will most certainly let them go thru.

On the flip side, I have been waved up to join/play through by players and/or rangers while playing as a single. In several cases I didn't accept the offer since there was nothing behind me and it gave me opportunities to hit some Practice shots and work on some things. I actually throttled back and created a gap so they didn't feel like I was pushing them.

I've done that a few times, especially when testing new clubs.

This. If they're waiting on 2 or 3 holes and my group isn't waiting on the group in front they get the wave. I don't like to rush because someone is on my tail.

I've waved through a group before, but just because they've been on us for a few holes and I'm with a newbie. Some new players feel the pressure of a flight waiting on them. I used to feel that in my early years, only to make more mistakes.

If I get caught, I let them play a hole or two and watch the shots they hit. If they appear to have the ability to not hold the course up, they are welcome to move through if it's not too late.

I have to see them play for a moment or two before letting them through. I've been burned enough.

I wave them thru with caution and watch them for a hole.You can tell by the swing and course etiquette how they will be.
I learned my lesson about letting better players go through sight-unseen this past weekend. Two of our foursome lolligagged around and didn't get to the first tee quickly enough to beat a foursome that pulled up behind me and my partner.

We let them go. They were 3 college golfers and 1 of their buddies. We cussed them for 5 hours. Had to be 4-5 holes open in front of them, at least, by the end.

Yep, many times. You wave some group thru, and then wait forever on every hole. I'm not so quick today. If it is clear the group is waiting on us and it is clear ahead, we will tee off and then let the following group go.

I almost always let groups play through when I'm out with my son. We almost got beaned once as a result, but no biggie.

This past weekend the course was a bit crowded so we didn't mind waiting. The group in front of us let us through at the turn and two holes later the group that was in front of them offered to let us through also. We declined, saying we knew the course was backed up. Well, turns out it was backed up because of those guys. Worm burners all day, all 4 of them looking for 1 ball, tee off then sit in the carts checking email, all 4 doing their best Ben Crane imitation on the greens... that got tough.

This is precisely what I do. Ideally one of the upcoming par 3's for me, if they're still on me, then I let them through, if they're there but not at a pushing pace, they stay.

I learned my lesson about letting better players go through sight-unseen this past weekend. Two of our foursome lolligagged around and didn't get to the first tee quickly enough to beat a foursome that pulled up behind me and my partner.

We let them go. They were 3 college golfers and 1 of their buddies. We cussed them for 5 hours. Had to be 4-5 holes open in front of them, at least, by the end.
All rub of the green.Kinda like golf I guess

Back