I'm going with all irons.....

CRB357

Reaction score
Handicap
Since I started back up playing again last fall, I've struggled with my driver and woods, which USED to be the strength of my game. However these days, I just can't keep them in play. I am however striping my irons like never before. I was thinking about it and remembered that about 10 yrs ago, I played a round without my woods bc they were all apart getting re shafted. I remembered that I actually posted my best score of the year that day (74) w/o the woods. Teed off with 2 and 3 irons. In the fairway all day. So, I'm going with all irons. 2-LW. I'm also looking for a 1 iron to complete my 14 clubs. So screw it, I'll probably post lower scores anyway, considering every single penalty stroke and double/triple bogey is attributed to horrible tee shots with drivers, fairway woods, and hybrids. I have a real good short game and I'm a good putter. It's just going to waste. I can hit my old Mizuno T Zoid Pro 2 iron 220 and with firm fairways, sometimes I get 250-280 with the roll out. I usually play from 6500-6800 yds, that is all I need.

I haven't broken 80 since I started playing again. So to hell with it. I'm rocking the irons until 2017, and if I started breaking 80 right off the bat, I may just keep the woods in the closet.

Since I started back up playing again last fall, I've struggled with my driver and woods, which USED to be the strength of my game. However these days, I just can't keep them in play. I am however striping my irons like never before. I was thinking about it and remembered that about 10 yrs ago, I played a round without my woods bc they were all apart getting re shafted. I remembered that I actually posted my best score of the year that day (74) w/o the woods. Teed off with 2 and 3 irons. In the fairway all day. So, I'm going with all irons. 2-LW. I'm also looking for a 1 iron to complete my 14 clubs. So screw it, I'll probably post lower scores anyway, considering every single penalty stroke and double/triple bogey is attributed to horrible tee shots with drivers, fairway woods, and hybrids. I have a real good short game and I'm a good putter. It's just going to waste. I can hit my old Mizuno T Zoid Pro 2 iron 220 and with firm fairways, sometimes I get 250-280 with the roll out. I usually play from 6500-6800 yds, that is all I need.

I haven't broken 80 since I started playing again. So to hell with it. I'm rocking the irons until 2017, and if I started breaking 80 right off the bat, I may just keep the woods in the closet.
I think I could probably score as well as I do with just irons.

It wouldn't be too far off for me either.

Having said that: 1&2 irons are nowhere to be found. So it'll be driving irons, which ones?

I like that you are thinking about score vs. distance but IMO there has to be some 3 wood or mini driver out there that you can hit decently, especially if you can hit a 2 iron. I played from 6650 today and only hit 2 drivers but not having my 3 wood and only a 2 iron would have cost me at least a few shots on my round today.

Last edited:
For now, I'm just using my old Mizuno T Zoid Pro 2 iron. I hit it better than the MP 67 2 iron. I did pick up a Bridgestone J33 Airmuscle 18* loft off ebay today for $35, that should be in next week. I have a set of Ping i5's that I use from time to time, so I'm looking for 2 iron to complete that set. I have found a few 1 irons, but one crazy guy wants $250 for a Mizuno T Zoid Pro 1 iron....I offered him $50 and he said no. If I find a 1 iron, and I can hit it (LOL), then great. If not, whatever, 2 iron is fine. I might throw a 62 or 64* LW in the bag instead.

You can stripe a 2 iron but can't hit any woods? That's crazy. If it works for you and you enjoy playing that way, go for it.

I like that you are thinking about score vs. distance but IMO there has to be some 3 wood or mini driver out there that you can hit decently, especially if you can hit a 2 iron. I played from 6650 today and only hit 2 drivers but not having my 3 wood and only a 2 iron would have cost me at least a few shots per round.

You would think, huh?

It's totally mental. I've overhauled my swing quite a bit this year. I've just focused on my short irons and wedges for the most part. Hitting them better than ever. Get a wood in my hand and the flatter take away and plane just feels horrible. It used to be the opposite, I killed my long clubs, but struggled with the short irons and wedges. LOL. I'm 44 now, I quit worrying about distance many years ago. I learned that playing on a Amateur tour. As long as no one else in your flight can hit a driver straight and putt well, I have a chance if I'm in the fairway, no matter the distance. I can still get it out there just fine, but I know scoring is all about the short game and putting. I've been as low as a 7hdcp, and I'm getting a little frustrated with the horrible tee shots with the woods. The last 5 rounds I've played I've added up the penalty strokes off the tee from hazards and OB etc....a whopping 8 strokes a round! I knew it was killing my score, but didn't realize just how much. Doesn't help that my course has 4 holes with OB like 20 yds right of the fairway. I still managed to score under 90 in all 5 of those rounds. I like my chances better laying 2 from 200 on in, than laying 3 off the box.

I even know what I'm doing wrong. I'm coming over the top on the longer clubs. When I come over it on the irons, it's just not as penal for the most part. I yank one left every now and then, but for the most part I'm just off the green on most mis hits with the irons. I can hit the woods pretty decent on the range, but it's just a mental thing that I need to work out eventually. For now, I just want to minimize my mis hits and find the fairway. I'll keep ya'll posted on how it's going. I won't be surprised at all if I break 80 this weekend.

You can stripe a 2 iron but can't hit any woods? That's crazy. If it works for you and you enjoy playing that way, go for it.
Welcome to my hell....

I have been striping my 4 iron through wedges this year. I wouldn't say I stripe my 2 and 3 iron as well as the others, but I don't hit them 50 yds left or right out of play. Nor do I hit skanky worm burners only 50 yds in front the tee box. The mis hits on the 2 and 3 iron are generally not very bad, but most importantly, are in play.

and I'll add that if this doesn't work, I'll just quit keeping score and start drinking while I play.

I hit my 5 hybrid 155 or so with a high flight. If could be accurate with it, I could be just short on long holes. Chip and put for par or bogey with a 2 putt. But I have to make it hard.

and I'll add that if this doesn't work, I'll just quit keeping score and start drinking while I play.
A smart alternative;)

LOL! I just picked up a Mizuno T Zoid Comp EZ 15* 1 iron off ebay for $40. I'll need to put a DG S300 in it. Looks lightly used....I wonder why??? Ha. Well it should be fun (maybe not) to try and hit it. As far as 1 irons go, I guess this probably the most forgiving "true" 1 iron you could find. I don't consider these newer $300 "driving" irons a true 1 iron. I'm actually getting a little enthusiastic about this all iron bag.

There is a guy at my golf course that plays all irons. I believe he only has 3-PW. He can knock the 3 iron 230 down the middle every time. I've never seen a compromise in his game playing a 6,500yd Par 72.

As a lark, have you tried to hit a driver with a shorter shaft? I'm loving the M2 with a 43.5" shaft. I feel that I can release the club a lot more like an iron swing. With the longer shafts I just don't feel that I can get the clubface square and trying to do so wreaks havoc on my swing. At a shorter length, tempo is a lot like my iron shots and what I lose in potential distance I actually gain in real distance and accuracy.

As a lark, have you tried to hit a driver with a shorter shaft? I'm loving the M2 with a 43.5" shaft. I feel that I can release the club a lot more like an iron swing. With the longer shafts I just don't feel that I can get the clubface square and trying to do so wreaks havoc on my swing. At a shorter length, tempo is a lot like my iron shots and what I lose in potential distance I actually gain in real distance and accuracy.

Yes, I just went to 43.5" on Driver and 43" on my 3w. Which is the length I played for a long time previously for those clubs. I have never felt comfortable with anything beyond 44.5". I had high hopes. However that still didn't work. I used lead tape on the bottom to swing weight them to the same as it was before. I was pretty disappointed. My 3w and 2 hybrid were my "go to" clubs for finding fairways. I could hit my 3w 240-260, 2 hybrid 220-245 depending on conditions. I was happy with that. However, in the last 2 months, even my "go to" clubs have just gone to sh*t......but my iron play has improved at the same time. So, obviously I'm more on plane with my irons. I believe the problem lies with my take away, which is now straight back and much steeper. Feels great with irons/wedges and the results are great. I've never hit my irons and wedges as long, straight, and more importantly, consistent, as I have this year. However when I take it away straight back and steep with the longer woods/hybrids, at about shoulder high, it feels so horrible that I "know" I won't be able to square the face, so then I guess my hands take over and it goes either way over the top or way too inside out. I've worked with my PGA pro about it. It's the damnest thing. I've just hit a wall mentally dealing with it. Tired of losing $4 balls and strokes. Plus, it is embarrassing quite frankly. I have the short game and iron play of 5hdcp, and the long game of a 20hdcp right now. My buddies are starting to shy away from playing with me!!! LOL

Yes, I just went to 43.5" on Driver and 43" on my 3w. Which is the length I played for a long time previously for those clubs. I have never felt comfortable with anything beyond 44.5". I had high hopes. However that still didn't work. I used lead tape on the bottom to swing weight them to the same as it was before. I was pretty disappointed. My 3w and 2 hybrid were my "go to" clubs for finding fairways. I could hit my 3w 240-260, 2 hybrid 220-245 depending on conditions. I was happy with that. However, in the last 2 months, even my "go to" clubs have just gone to sh*t......but my iron play has improved at the same time. So, obviously I'm more on plane with my irons. I believe the problem lies with my take away, which is now straight back and much steeper. Feels great with irons/wedges and the results are great. I've never hit my irons and wedges as long, straight, and more importantly, consistent, as I have this year. However when I take it away straight back and steep with the longer woods/hybrids, at about shoulder high, it feels so horrible that I "know" I won't be able to square the face, so then I guess my hands take over and it goes either way over the top or way too inside out. I've worked with my PGA pro about it. It's the damnest thing. I've just hit a wall mentally dealing with it. Tired of losing $4 balls and strokes. Plus, it is embarrassing quite frankly. I have the short game and iron play of 5hdcp, and the long game of a 20hdcp right now. My buddies are starting to shy away from playing with me!!! LOL

I hear you. Right now I can swing driver 80% and it works real well. If I try and jump it and push to 90+%, I get out of sequence and it becomes hard to square the face for me. I know what the problem is - when I try to hit harder I start to rotate my hips early, before I move left, and that shifts my swing plane more over the top and left - but trying to fix it without bandages is hard. There is one bandage that works - that's addressing the ball with a closed stance and my back almost to target. I can hammer the ball that way as there is no way the hips can clear early with that stance. But I am loath to make it my standard driver swing as I am pretty accurate with a more neutral setup.

I think that's awesome you are playing what works for you. I just think about what you are giving up. You know you can hit the woods from past experience. Why not drop $100 and have a lesson or two to get the woods back in order?

I think that's awesome you are playing what works for you. I just think about what you are giving up. You know you can hit the woods from past experience. Why not drop $100 and have a lesson or two to get the woods back in order?
I've dropped several $100's on lessons recently. I've been seeing him once a month since the spring. He has helped me a ton with the irons etc...just can't seem to have it transfer over the woods. I fully understand what he is saying and know it to be true. Just can't make it happen. Which I believe is the reason this has all come to a head. I put in so much effort, time, and money the last 6 months, I'm just frustrated. My iron game has improved to a level I've never been before, but on the flip side, the woods have regressed down to a level I've never been before. I know this game is insane. Been playing for 20 yrs. I've gone through swing changes before and know it is a hard road. It sucks. I know what is like to shoot a 77 on Saturday and feel on top of the world, then turn around and shoot 97 on Sunday and feel like committing suicide. I've experienced all the joys and horrors it has to offer. I think in the last week or so, I've just lost my patience for the time being. Obviously, I've lost my confidence in the woods to the point I'm ditching them. I'm not giving up, just need a break from the horror and disappointment. I'm hoping to get my confidence back after a few good rounds over the next month or so with just the irons. Probably I'll get tired of my hands being stung by those 1 and 2 irons (LOL) and get back to swinging the woods. Need to let my swing thoughts with the woods disappear and start fresh with no thoughts. Too much junk in my head right now with those clubs. I need a cleansing.

However, if I start playing and scoring well with just irons in my bag, I'm not afraid of sticking with what works for me. I've had the same J33R driver/ irons, as well my putter for 10 yrs. So I'm comfortable not following the herd or jumping on the latest and greatest. It's all about the swing, not the equipment. I'm just a mental case at the moment.

Talk about screwed up in the head......I have more confidence hitting a tiny 1 iron than a giant headed driver that is practically a tennis raquet with a long handle......WTF?

This is what trying to get as good as you can be at golf can do to a person. What a crazy game.

I strongly suspect that this is exactly what happened to Tiger. I don't buy the back injury at all. Trying to change and improve to keep up with the Rory's etc, plus with the pressure to post a score with the label as greatest ever, while simultaneously hitting skanky shots over and over in front of the world, destroyed his confidence to the point, he needs a few years to let his mind clear out.

I think letting go of the "score" and just play practice rounds would do me some good too. Step 1, is to get confidence back and clear the junk out of my head.

You could try hybrids.

You could try hybrids.

I usually carry a 3 hybrid. Same situation as woods, although not quite as bad. Just going with the irons for now.

Writing this all out in public seems to be good therapy for me. I don't feel as pissed off now as I did when I started the thread. LOL
I'm sort of rejuvenated to at least go practice the driver/woods. Not going to play with them for a while, but will keep working at it. So thanks to all of you for listening to me.

I did some mirror work today inside my house with an aiming stick shoved down the end of the grip of my driver. Just took real slow motion swings. Keeping the stick against my left hip/body on the way back and pointed at the target line at the top and down swing. This drill really keeps the hands out of the take away for me. I was able to see what was on plane and how it felt at all the normal positions. Felt better. It always does though when there is no ball in front of you...

Well, I was right. Played 9 this afternoon with the wife and 9 yr old boy. Shot a 40 w/ a bogey on last hole. Hit 5 of 7 fairways and both Par 3's. I didn't even have the 2 iron, as I pulled the shaft on it this morning to swing weight it. I avg 220 off the tee with the 3 iron. I did yank one 3 iron off the tee left in a hazard. Had one 3 putt from 30 ft on a Par 5. Didn't get up and down on the other two. Lipped 2 out for birdie. So it was only 9 holes, but I'll take just 2 penalty strokes over 18 holes right about now. That is a lot of strokes gained. Granted I was playing at 6500 yds, but that is where we played from on the Am Tour and where the Men's tees are at most courses. If I played from the tips, might be a different story. But I don't play from there, so whatever.

Felt like my old self. I can't wait to get the 1 iron in and the 2 iron back together. I have an iron swing. I will own it. Plus, there is a certain uniqueness about it. I mean when was the last time you saw someone playing with a 1 iron-LW bag? LOL, this is going to be fun.

If you think about it; the longest shot anybody needs is around 225 or so. Couple of those will reach a 450 yard par 4 and three will see you home on a 675 yard par 5.

If you think about it; the longest shot anybody needs is around 225 or so. Couple of those will reach a 450 yard par 4 and three will see you home on a 675 yard par 5.

Exactly. Plus, remove all the penalty strokes and strokes lost to hazards/OB, add in being in the fairway all day. Get up and down a few times, mix in 2 birdies, you have a great chance of breaking 80 every time out.

So far, so good....

9 holes this am, shot a 37, 1 over. 5 of 7 fairways again. Had 2 birdies and 3 bogeys. No hazards/OB. I also missed 3 birdie putts under 15ft. 3 putted the last from 50ft. I pulled a muscle in my neck yesterday and it starting hurting pretty bad/stiffening up, so I had to pull off after 9. Kind of bummed, I was playing well. Had a good shot at posting lowest score in quite some time. I can barely turn my head though.

My Bridgestone J33 Airmuscle 2 iron thingy came in today. As soon as my neck gets better, I'll go swing it. The Mizuno Comp EZ Forged 1 iron and 2 iron should be here Fri/Sat. Need to reshaft both of them. I'm pumped about the 1 iron. Hope I can hit decently.

Back