BCS National Championship Game

MO_Hacker

At the drag strip
Reaction score
Handicap
DragRacing
What are your predictions on the game? Are the teams in it this year the two best in the country?

This is the game I wanted to see, I don't know if we'll see much defense but it should be a high scoring affair. I do kind of feel bad for Texas, they actually got jumped twice in the polls.

I'll be rooting for OU, I just hope it's a close, hard fought game.

Texas has an argument. So does USC and every other 1 loss team. Utah has an argument, heck they did not lose. However I think Vegas has it right (they usually do). According to Vegas Florida would be favored against any other team right now. 2nd on the list was Oklahoma. 3rd was Texas. This according to ESPN radio this morning.

I just threw up in my mouth.

I just threw up in my mouth.

Most people would after reading that.

1. OU
2. U$C
3. Texas
4. Florida

Utah and Boise State has no business being mentioned. I would take a 20th ranked Missouri over both of them.

How can Texas be tehre when they did not win their conference. No conference title game gives them a weaker strength of schedule.

I'll just be glad when they do away with formulas, computers, and polls. Just settle it on the field like every other sport.....

I agree JB, the system is far from perfect. I think any of the of the top 5 teams have an arguement, the Utes, not so much. Florida and OU are definetly the two hottest teams in the nation right now, not to mention the quarterback matchup.

I looked and couldn't find the spread on this game, have they set spreads for any of the bowl games yet?

On the BCS Selection show they were talking about the possibility of a split national champion if OU wins and Texas wins.

How can Texas be tehre when they did not win their conference. No conference title game gives them a weaker strength of schedule.

They werent given a chance to win their conference after beating the team that did get the chance. That's why college football is going downhill fast.

After the title game there will be a handful of teams that could have a legitimate claim for a share of the title. I'm all for it... because the winner of OU/Florida doesnt prove much... only who is better between those two teams.

A 16 team playoff is the only way to go... an 8 team playoff is in the right direction but I think still leaves viable teams out. If you took the top 8 this year you would have left out the Big East Champ in Cincinnati, Big12 Runner up Missouri, and an undefeated Boise State. All those teams would be complaining.

There will not be a split champion. You cannot give a national title to a team that does NOT EVEN WIN THEIR OWN CONFERENCE.

I dont like the BCS either, however they reward teams that win their conferences. Texas knew that they had to beat everyone to have a shot. They didnt. It is not only how many losses and who you lose to, it is also when you lose.

Missouri was overrated all year long, they won the North and would have been the 5th best team in the South.

OU made it to the Conference championship game because they were higher in the BCS than Texas. The Big 12 was screwed no matter which way they went because of Texas Tech.

We really need a playoff system.

I dont like the BCS either, however they reward teams that win their conferences. Texas knew that they had to beat everyone to have a shot. They didnt.

Why isnt the same logic applied to Oklahoma or Florida? The didnt win all their games?

Missouri was overrated all year long, they won the North and would have been the 5th best team in the South.

I dont disagree with that... but a Missouri team would have every right to complain if they took 3 teams from one division and they got over looked.

Because they won their conferences. Conference title game matchups give you more points. I hate the Gators but according to Vegas they are the best team in the country. Vegas is always right.

Is this about football?

I dont disagree with that... but a Missouri team would have every right to complain if they took 3 teams from one division and they got over looked.

They really had a complaint last year when KU went to a BCS game and they got left out.

I wish the Big 12 would do away with the North/South divisions, but it won't happen.

Because they won their conferences. Conference title game matchups give you more points. I hate the Gators but according to Vegas they are the best team in the country. Vegas is always right.

Maybe they should do away with 12 team conferences. Everyone should go back to 10 team conferences where everyone plays everyone.

Conference championship games were only created because conferences started to get greedy adding more teams and the opportuinty to earn more money through a conference championship game. That is the same driving force behind the BCS and both are what are ruining the legitamacy and integrity of college football.

The same people that say a conference championship game gives additional oppurtunities for reward also claim that it hurts them just as much. >>>> See UGA last year. They still say they should have been playing for the title.

This system can not be defended one iota. It is inconsistant and can be manipulated very easily.

You are right the system cannot be defended. But the BCS did not create conference championship games. And the people that argue for a playoff and against conference championships dont make any sense. That is the point of the conference championship. TO DECLARE THE WINNER ON THE FIELD!

You are right the system cannot be defended. But the BCS did not create conference championship games. And the people that argue for a playoff and against conference championships dont make any sense. That is the point of the conference championship. TO DECLARE THE WINNER ON THE FIELD!

You have that wrong... Conference championship games make it easier for the BCS selection and gives less credence to a playoff.

Why the need to have a mimi playoff in your conference when the best two could viably compete in a National Championship Tournament and end up playing for the title. When you have a conference championship you are essentially eliminating one out of national title contention before the playoffs start. After Saturday everyone could argue that Alabama has no business playing in hypothetical national championship playoff because it has already been proven they arent the best in their conference. Wouldnt the SEC rather not have that game played, instead put them both into a playoff scenario where it could potentially end up with an all SEC National Championship game?

Play the games on the field and you find out who the best teams are. That is the reason BCS haters have for starting a playoff. Conference championships start that process. To finish it have the winners of each conference play in a playoff.

Big 10 (although they are really bad recently)
Big 12
ACC (also really bad recently)
SEC
Big East
Pac 10
Those are the big ones and you could have 2 atlarge teams. But if you do not win your conference you should not be allowed to win the national title. That is absurd.

Play the games on the field and you find out who the best teams are. That is the reason BCS haters have for starting a playoff. Conference championships start that process. To finish it have the winners of each conference play in a playoff.

Big 10 (although they are really bad recently)
Big 12
ACC (also really bad recently)
SEC
Big East
Pac 10
Those are the big ones and you could have 2 atlarge teams. But if you do not win your conference you should not be allowed to win the national title. That is absurd.

That terrible ACC conference just put a record 10 teams in the bowl games beating the "Superioir" SEC's 9 teams last year.

Conference superiority can be argued and proven by putting two teams into a playoff with the possibility of a 3rd at large with two of them potentially meeting to decide the national champion.

You can be a national champion in college basketball without not only winning the regular season championship but the conference tournament championship as well. If it is good enough for March Madness... it should be good enough for college football.

Back