The golf grip: 10 finger vs overlap vs interlock

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
So I've reached another milestone in my golf game. When I began playing golf I rocked a 10 finger grip. It served me well for through Jr. Golf and high school.

I switched to over lap and my game jumped into another gear. Through college and into my teaching and playing days. I shot my personal best with the overlap and have played some fantastic golf with an over lap.

Lately I've struggled with an open club face and was working on path and other things to fix my issues. Today after we made the turn I decided to switch to interlock for a couple reasons. It was wet and I decided it could hurt. Well what followed blew my mind. I missed two shots on the back 9 that lead to bogies. Everything thing else was flush, moving right to left and penetrating. The final 9 was played in the rain and this grip changed produced an even par back 9 with 2 birds and 2 bogies.

My hands worked together. My irons jumped and my distance returned. More importantly I was able to feel the club position as I made my down swing. I will continue to work on this but the results on a long wet course really spoke volumes. Interlock for me, going forward.

Good luck, tad. I have tried the interlock but it never felt comfortable. Overlap for me.

All I could think of is what you said, your hands worked better together interlocked vs overlapped. Did you feel like you compressed it better?

Have always used overlap. Gave interlock a legitimate go a few years ago but just never could get used to the discomfort, to me, of it.

All I could think of is what you said, your hands worked better together interlocked vs overlapped. Did you feel like you compressed it better?

I'd swing and the ball was gone. I'd look up and it would be climbing and boring through the air. It all happened so quick. My hands were completing the swing and I was walking after the shot! Best feeling in the world.

Have always used overlap. Gave interlock a legitimate go a few years ago but just never could get used to the discomfort, to me, of it.

It extended my hands down the grip and just felt so fluid.

How long did it take to get comfortable enough with the interlock to put it into play?

I too was 10 finger, and am now overlap, but can never get comfortable with the interlock.

Good to see the change came with some good results!

I started with 10 finger, and progressed through interlock for a year or two around age 10-12 and then overlap ever since. I tried interlock again recently and found it less (not) comfortable, but still had felt a little better connection to the club from more contact. Good for you for experimenting.

How long did it take to get comfortable enough with the interlock to put it into play?

I too was 10 finger, and am now overlap, but can never get comfortable with the interlock.

Good to see the change came with some good results!

One swing and the results was all I needed.

I started with 10 finger when I started since I was coming from a baseball/softball background. I switched to interlock within the first year and it's the only grip I have used since. I tried overlap and never could feel comfortable with it

So I've reached another milestone in my golf game. When I began playing golf I rocked a 10 finger grip. It served me well for through Jr. Golf and high school.

I switched to over lap and my game jumped into another gear. Through college and into my teaching and playing days. I shot my personal best with the overlap and have played some fantastic golf with an over lap.

Lately I've struggled with an open club face and was working on path and other things to fix my issues. Today after we made the turn I decided to switch to interlock for a couple reasons. It was wet and I decided it could hurt. Well what followed blew my mind. I missed two shots on the back 9 that lead to bogies. Everything thing else was flush, moving right to left and penetrating. The final 9 was played in the rain and this grip changed produced an even par back 9 with 2 birds and 2 bogies.

My hands worked together. My irons jumped and my distance returned. More importantly I was able to feel the club position as I made my down swing. I will continue to work on this but the results on a long wet course really spoke volumes. Interlock for me, going forward.

I've been experimenting with interlock all year and seen great results. My only struggle is with the driver. I've been seeing excruciating pain in my right pinky finger using this. All other clubs have been no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with interlock, and switched to overlap after 15 years. I use 10 from time to time when i need extra right hand in the shot for a draw or chipping or whatnot...

I've been experimenting with interlock all year and seen great results. My only struggle is with the driver. I've been seeing excruciating pain in my right pinky finger using this. All other clubs have been no issue.

Might be too tight of a grip. Remember the pressure is with the index fingers and thumb of each hand.

I feel like my hands are too small to do interlock. like I can't get my right hand into a neutral position and it gets way too strong. glad you found something that works.

I learned to play using the interlock, but after a few years I learned to use the overlap because I was told that's what the pros used. Being using overlap ever since and interlock feels odd to me now

I started with interlock and have never played anything else. Sometimes when I feel like I'm pulling the handle and never allowing the club head to work through I think about experimenting with overlap

Started with interlock.

Went overlap for 15 years; why I don't know. I briefly tried 10 finger when i went one-plane swing 10 years ago.

Went back to overlap.

Switched back to interlock last month for connectivity and wish I'd never changed from it.

My instructor had me change to an interlock and at first it felt so weird. Now I don't even think about it and it's really helped me.

I started with interlock because I didn't know any better. We were in the dugout during a Little League All-Star game when one of my teammates came back, laughing, from batting. He said he had been p[laying golf the past few days and when he got in the batter's box, he used his golf grip. Someone asked him what he meant and he picked up a bat and applied an interlocking grip. I had never golfed, so I assumed that was the way everyone held the club. Nine years later, when I started to golf, that was the grip I used. Early on, I picked up Golf My Way, and Nicklaus mentioned that any of the three grips were OK, but that he used the interlock. If it was good enough for him . . . . I tried other grips but none felt as comfortable to me as the interlock.

I played with an interlock grip originally. Went to the overlap because of fatigue and discomfort of the hands. Thinking about it now that you've brought it up, at that time, I'm sure I was gripping the club too tightly, and that may have been the cause of the discomfort. I may try the interlock again next time at the range and see how it feels and works out. Glad it's working out for you, Freddie.

I use overlap, with the exception of wedges. I interlock my wedges. Anyone else use a similar combo?

Over lap feels more comfortable for me but also leads to club turning on impact, so I go with interlock.

I use overlap, with the exception of wedges. I interlock my wedges. Anyone else use a similar combo?

I usually do the opposite. Overlap is more comfortable for me but on full swings I can have to light of a grip and the shaft will rotate in my hand if I'm not careful.

Interesting. I usually use overlap ever did 10 finger, but maybe I should follow suit and try interlock, as currently I can like you have some issues with club face….

I learned to play using the interlock, but after a few years I learned to use the overlap because I was told that's what the pros used. Being using overlap ever since and interlock feels odd to me now

the pros like jack nickalaus used interlock , lol

Back