nerfny

Reaction score
Handicap
20.9 GHIN
One of the girls I went to Nursing school with asked me to join her team for a tough mudder in June. Never having competed in a race like this I was wondering if anyone has any training tips for me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My wife has ran a couple of them so I'll ask her and will post her recommendations!

I think Wake has done a few of these?

I think ddec's response on facebook was perfect. :D

I think ddec's response on facebook was perfect. :D
That's why I didn't ask him to do it.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

I've ran a couple a few years ago, upper body strength is something to work on, you will be doing a lot of climbing and pulling yourself up over different obstacles.

My wife has ran a couple of them so I'll ask her and will post her recommendations!

My wife said she didn't do a particular training program when she did here. Based on what I've seen though, if you're already running regularly that's half the battle and if you combine that with strength training you'll be ready to go. Good luck!

I've ran a couple a few years ago, upper body strength is something to work on, you will be doing a lot of climbing and pulling yourself up over different obstacles.
Yeah the running doesn't bother me. I figured it would be upper body strength.

I did a couple of Tough Mudders. Not sure if there's really anything specific you can do for training beyond general fitness. The organizers promote finishing as an accomplishment instead of as a race because you'll have to wait at most/some obstacles. Also, I'm pretty sure they don't keep times, unless you're in the "race wave". My longest race included ~11 miles of running. You might want to work on arm and shoulder strength because you'll be helping teammates up/over obstacles. Make sure you bring a complete change of clothes because everything you wear will get trashed. Good luck and enjoy the event.

View attachment 26228

View attachment 26230

View attachment 26231

Increase your upper body strength and hand strength as much as possible. If you're not already getting in some good milage start! If you are add in some extra weight like a weighted vest for parts of your your run. Also in your runs stop at different points and add in some push ups, burpees, and if your can go by a playground hit the monkey bars.

06c34b5d8b019527d0ce65d2f469c36a.jpg
0b38d51bfc5ddc3156d3782628549737.jpg

There are some pictures of the one I did last year. Personally, I mostly lifted and ran minimally leading up to it. I think the most miles I ran before the race was 6 miles, and the course was 11 miles long. A couple things to remember is there is normally a line for obstacles so you get breaks there. And there were quite a few gimmicky obstacles that weren't really hard. This year my wife and I are doing the Spartan Race going for the Trifecta.

Also buy OCR shoes. They will really help with the water draining from your shoes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have run several obstacle course races, and I think they're a lot of fun. Haven't done a Tough Mudder because I have this distinct aversion to getting electrocuted.

Fartlek running is a big part of the training. Learning to run consistently, then sprint, simulating the heart rate and adrenaline of an obstacle, then cooling back down from that while on the move will help keep you from bonking out after a tough obstacle.

I do the spartan ... core is key as other have mentioned with lifting yourself over obstacles. I also work on running up hill ...

Make it a team effort, and it is a lot of fun. (at least for me)

Going for a Spartan trifecta this year with my daughters, should be interesting and fun.

One of the girls I went to Nursing school with asked me to join her team for a tough mudder in June. Never having competed in a race like this I was wondering if anyone has any training tips for me.

You're doing the Mount Snow one, right? I'd do a bunch of hills. There's a TON of going up and down the mountain.

The one thing I love about the event is that there is usually no shortage of folks willing to help on obstacles. Working on body weight pull-ups will help a bunch for some of the climbing/monkey bar style obstacles.

Back