Consistency? What's that?

dacatalyst41

#ReptheG #RocktheChev
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm struggling to lower my scores and I want to break 80 so badly. I realize my issue is consistency. Ya know...Repeating the same swing over and over. I'm not expecting to middle every shot, but I definitely need to improve.
What are you guys doing to consistently lower your scores?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Working on my short game and putting. It's what got me from a 15 to a 9 and my goal is to have it get me to at least a 6 this year

Working on my short game and putting. It's what got me from a 15 to a 9 and my goal is to have it get me to at least a 6 this year

I totally agree with this!

I actually putt fairly well. I rarely three putt, but my wedges definitely need work.

Practice 4-5' putts. Try to make at least 75% of them in practice.
That's a great idea. I need to drill those.

What do you believe your weaknesses are? You mentioned wedges, what about your wedges? Chipping or wedges in general? Do you have blow up holes with doubles and triples. Do you get in trouble off the tee? Where are you losing strokes?

Short game, short game, & short game. That's where you score. You can have a bad ball striking day but if your short game is on, putting well & chipping it close to save par ... that's where you save strokes and lower your cap.

What do you believe your weaknesses are? You mentioned wedges, what about your wedges? Chipping or wedges in general? Do you have blow up holes with doubles and triples. Do you get in trouble off the tee? Where are you losing strokes?
For the most part, it's short game. I do have blow up holes (usually after a bad tee short) but I can recover sometimes.
I don't feel that I have the "feel" down for a short wedge shot, mid, or long wedge shot. That's where I'm most uncertain.

For the most part, it's short game. I do have blow up holes (usually after a bad tee short) but I can recover sometimes.
I don't feel that I have the "feel" down for a short wedge shot, mid, or long wedge shot. That's where I'm most uncertain.

Sounds like distance control with wedges and not getting the ball as close as you would like. Generally if you aren't hitting wedges well, you are in good shape but not getting the ball close to the hole and 3 putting. But since you said you don't 3 putt, I am guessing you are totally missing greens and have to chip and 2 putt for bogey.

For distance control on wedges, the best thing for me was to get known swing distances for my wedges. With each wedge learn your 1/4, 1/2, and full swing distance. Write it down and tape it to your wedge. When you have that distance on the course, you can pull the right wedge. There will be some overlap so you can use that to flight the ball when you need too. You can go to a range and hit 5-10 balls with each swing and laser the average distance for the balls.

I'm trying to get out of the 90's. focus on the shot you are on and don't leave the putt short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short game practice definitely.

The key in my game was to eliminate penalty strokes. Keep the ball in play, keep the ball moving forward, and stop losing balls. My scores are much more consistent once the penalty strokes started making their way onto my scorecards.

Sounds like distance control with wedges and not getting the ball as close as you would like. Generally if you aren't hitting wedges well, you are in good shape but not getting the ball close to the hole and 3 putting. But since you said you don't 3 putt, I am guessing you are totally missing greens and have to chip and 2 putt for bogey.

For distance control on wedges, the best thing for me was to get known swing distances for my wedges. With each wedge learn your 1/4, 1/2, and full swing distance. Write it down and tape it to your wedge. When you have that distance on the course, you can pull the right wedge. There will be some overlap so you can use that to flight the ball when you need too. You can go to a range and hit 5-10 balls with each swing and laser the average distance for the balls.
That's excellent advice. I'm going to address that right away. Dialing those wedges in would make me feel more comfortable when I grab one of them.

The only thing consistent about my game is my inconsistency. And reading this thread, it appears I need to work on my short game.

I'm working on my full swing more than my short game. There's a direct correlation between hitting more GIR and shooting lower scores for me. Put another way: if I hit more greens, I don't have to rely on my short game as much. My GIR percentage went up 4% last year, and my handicap dropped almost 3 points.

Consistency is a myth! I understand you want to hit more GIRs, lessons - lessons - lessons and practice - practice - practice will help but a better short game may be the shorter route to better scores

I'm thinking about getting a swing coach. I'm tired of trying to figure things out.

Practice. More range and course time. That's the only way.

I agree that those two things are key. All you see at the range is people smacking their driver over and over.

I agree that those two things are key. All you see at the range is people smacking their driver over and over.

I see guys with 3 clubs and two are driver and wood. The other is go high some warmup shots. I see others bring a bag and get a large bucket and hit 1/2 - 3/4 of it with the driver and they do the something every time I see them

Find the 2-3 clubs you predominantly use on approach shots and work them hard to get consistency. This will hopefully increase you gir. You say you're a decent putter so sharpen your short game (1-15 yards off the green). I see 2,3,4 shots per hole lost by good golfers that have no touch around the greens.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat as the OP and I'm working to crack the 80 barrier. I know my short comings are short game and putting. I can hit the green with a wedge but it's not consistently within 15-20 feet. Also I need to convert more 5 to 10 foot putts.

I like the wedge distance suggestion. In my score card holder I keep a laminated card with all my club full swing carry and total distances. I took data from a sim, 10 shots each club and drop the outliers. It has proven very helpful. I think I will update my range guide with the partial wedges as well.

Back