I'm switching to a 10 finger grip

AshMan

Passionate Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
I've always played an overlap grip, and lately I've been getting a bad chaffing on my right index finger to the point it hurts just to touch that finger on the side that was touching my glove when I swing.

But thats not the only reason why I decided to change.

I was at the range today, and I was having a hard time not hitting a heavy fade I felt myself forcing a swing path change to get the ball to go with less of a fade. I could definitely feel the chaffed finger, and I think that was throwing me off as well as its tender.

I decided to try an interlock but that did not feel right, so I decided to use my overlap grip but just move my right hand down the club so 10 fingers on the club, and same light grip pressure, and my swing felt not only different, but good different, but I was hitting the ball much straighter.

It was also like I could feel the club better, and contact felt better.

Looks like I'll be switching to a 10 finger grip for now, maybe forever. It seems to be working for me right now.

Have any of you switched your grip from interlock, overlap, or 10 finger to another one of those types of grip and seen good results?

Like this? Not that you have to copy it, but I like my grip. I haven't had finger or thumb sprains ever since I switched.
80d2aa7ac609a55da00accdc41427c8a.jpg

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

Use ten finger grip on tee shots with driver and mini, seem to help with slices and stay in play better. Interlock on the rest of my clubs. Read that in a tip somewhere years ago. Works for me.

I switch about 8 years ago to ten finger grip, was playing Vardon grip or over-lap but didn't seem to have control of the clubs so switched to the interlocking but that didn't seem to work either. So I adopted the base ball or ten finger with out looking back. My game has improved tremendously as my handicap dropped almost 8 full strokes. The biggest key and this is with any grip is making sure you have the "V" pointing to your back shoulder. Good luck and hit-em straight.

Have tried them all but they never stuck and always went back to the standard overlap.

I switched a few years ago for the exact same reasons you did. Now it feels impossible to go back.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Long time 10 finger grip guy here. I read in a Harvey Penick book that he wished he had taught the 10 finger to amateurs more.

I've tried the 10 finger, but couldn't get adjusted to the feel. But I definitely agree that sometimes a grip change can do wonders. I started out interlocking, and being one of the many that interlocked wrong. Even when I tried to fix it, it crept back so I went to an overlap, starting hitting the ball much more consistently, and I haven't looked back since.

I sometimes use an interlock-10finger hybrid with my driver (top thumb behind, bottom thumb down)

I switched years ago, went back to vardon a few times due to the hassle of having clubs adjusted to fit my grip, but I just didn't have as much control as I do with my grip. Ten finger doesn't completely describe my grip, however, since I actually grip the club right in the palm of my right hand, so that the club is inline with my right forearm.

I have tried all types of grips over the years, including 10 finger and the reverse overlap. I'm a bit longer with the 10 finger grip but definitely not as straight and more prone to hooking the ball.

I've tried it and I think there is potential for power/club speed with the grip, but I found it's very easy to flip the club using the grip which is probably why it's straightening out your shots. It's just not the most effective way to straighten out your shots.

I've tried it but my consistency just wasn't the same so I went back to the overlap!

I switched this year to 10 finger....and it feels more stable. Getting touch around the greens was a little different at first but getting that back no problem the more I hit balls. I also switched grips this year to no taper MCC +4's which also helps on stability. At least from what I feel.

have used the overlap since 1972....old habits are hard to break...lol

I have the same sort of problem. I currently use the interlocking grip and suffer with chaffing on the inside of my left index finger where the finger almost gets pinched inbetween the handle and my right 'ring finger'. Might have to try the 10 finger grip as I still suffer even when using the overlap grip.

When I started playing golf I was a 10 finger, then an interlock and now an overlap, and now if I try and switch to anything else, it just feels odd!

Anything but interlock is very uncomfortable for. Hope this works for you.

Also since switching to the 10 finger my right pinky finger started to callus. Might be the grips I had (GP Tour Wrap) but it seems to pinch between my left index and grip. But there again when I had overlap it was between my left index and middle finger so it couldn't rub or pinch. Not a big deal just observation

Whenever I try changes like that it seems that's there a honeymoon period where things click then......it's goes a bit downhill and back to the pro for a lesson

I don't like how it pulls the trail arm down a bit more at address to get that last finger on the club, feels weird, and if you're chaffing I don't think a grip change will help, something wrong with the swing is causing the chaff, maybe just too much pressure.

I used to play a 10 finger grip and was the brunt of jokes in my group. I finally switched the the interlock grip during a range session and never went back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have always played 10 finger however I think I am going to try and switch this year and see what benefits if any I can get from a different grip style

I started with a 10 finger/baseball type of grip and moved to interlock. I felt that when using the 10 finger it allowed my hands to move separate to each of them in some cases. Where as, when using an interlock grip it kept them together and more stable.

Back