A little Guidance Required

billp

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi,

I have some questions I think I already know the answer to, but would like some other opinions.

I took a video of my swing during a recent practise round. The ball went a little right where I was aiming.

Swing picture 1. Am I standing too far away from the ball?

Swing 1.JPG

Swing 2. Are my hands too far around my body, should they be more over my shoulder? I didn't even realise they were that far around, because I always think high hands. Also are my hips facing too far back? I have been telling myself to try and keep them quiet during the back swing, but by this photo they are over rotating still, not letting me coil my upper body, so I am losing power?

Swing 2.JPG

Swing 3. Hard to tell from this photo, but I don't think I am clearing my hips (perhaps an issue from above where they are not controlling my downswing but following my upper body), perhaps why I feel the need to stand a little further from the ball to give my hands room?

Swing 3.JPG

I feel like I am pretty close to having a good swing, just maybe a couple of faults to fix? All advise will be taking on board with a grain of salt :)

Yes, yes, maybe...

Yes you are standing too far away from the ball. The good news, you're hitting the ball left. The bad news you are relegated to minimal power and toe side misses as well as living on the right side of the course.

Yes you hands are laid off at the top of your swing. The good news is that you're on plane based on your setup. The bad news, you're living on the right side of the course with toe side contact. Your power is limited and it take real effort to square that face.

No you aren't holding off your hips or not clearing them. Your clearing them very well but the setup and back swing have placed the golf club behind you. The good news, the ball isn't going left. The bad news, you're living on the right.

If you want to fix the first two so you capitalize on the last. Step closer to the ball. Make sure you maintain your height but allow the arms to hang from your shoulders. Don't extend them to ball or pull toward your body. It's a naturally relaxed position of the arms hanging from the shoulders.

Adjust the above and keep everything else the same. Your plane is solid so it should remain but become more upright. Your hip release is solid so now you should be longer and down the middle.

#TEAMSNELL aka #TeamGreen

Thank you, I watched a couple of my practise swings and I am much more upright and the hands are high, not sure why my proper swing isn't the same. At least I have something to hone.

Back