JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So what does everybody make of the latest issue in the John Daly saga?

don't blame him there JB... its golf, not football. Spectators need to understand the rules, he may have gone overboard but its not like he was just drunk in the street and someone asked him for a autograph...

• Admin
I agree DD. I dont think this is his fault at all.

the sign clearly stated no cameras / cell phones.... the stories linked there are people walking down public streets

• Admin
I agree DD. Sure he went overboard. But cmon how many stories do we hear about pros losing it over this very thing.

you have to gives these guys credit for being able to play with distractions like that...

the stories linked there are people walking down public streets

I'm not sure I'd consider stalking someone's house, getting around their car and following them in restaurants as just walking down the street. I remember the Prince story well, he and his bodyguard were charged with assault and battery for "threateningly" grabbing a college kid's camera and deleting a photo? How is this less worse?

I do agree...gotta give these guys credit for playing with a distraction like John Daly.

.... and John is even for today's round after just sinking a birdie on the 6th hole. That makes him 6 over (overall).

don't blame him there JB... its golf, not football. Spectators need to understand the rules, he may have gone overboard but its not like he was just drunk in the street and someone asked him for a autograph...

Still, there are appropriate ways to handle it, and there are inappropriate ways to handle it. Daly handled it inappropriately.

Shouting? Yes.
Calling an official over and having the fan ejected? Yes.
Having his caddie deal with it? Yes.
Refusing to play until the situation was dealt with by tournament officials? Yes.
Initiating a physical altercation and destroying property? No.

Both golf and life have rules by which the participants are required to abide. Just because one individual violates the rules does not mean that everyone else is entitled to then violate the rules. Particularly in golf, which is supposed to be a game of gentlemen.

The idiot with the camera was wrong, but so was the idiot with the golf clubs.

Still, there are appropriate ways to handle it, and there are inappropriate ways to handle it. Daly handled it inappropriately.

Shouting? Yes.
Calling an official over and having the fan ejected? Yes.
Having his caddie deal with it? Yes.
Refusing to play until the situation was dealt with by tournament officials? Yes.
Initiating a physical altercation and destroying property? No.

Both golf and life have rules by which the participants are required to abide. Just because one individual violates the rules does not mean that everyone else is entitled to then violate the rules. Particularly in golf, which is supposed to be a game of gentlemen.

The idiot with the camera was wrong, but so was the idiot with the golf clubs.

I agree Harry. Both persons wore the 'black hat' on this one.

Maybe, just maybe he wasn't to BLAME. HOWEVER: he knows he is under a microscope. And he chose to lose it with the cameraman. He should have said something to security and had them deal with it. Fair? Maybe not, but he brought this all on himself. If nearly anybody else had done it it may have not been as big a deal. Daly should have known bertter, given all the stupid things he has done before. But, once again, he screws up. Not his fault the camera dude took a picture when he shouldn't have. His fault for not letting someone else handle it.

At least the spectator admitted he was part of the problem. He isnt even going to go after JD for the damaged camera. That should say something.

"I don't think I'll be chasing him for the money. He's a big bloke!" "I was bold, but I wasn't unreasonable," Clegg said.

Still, JD shouldnt have reacted the way he did.

I must have missed his latest episode. :confused2:

swing, camera, john anrgy, john brake camera! - daly as a caveman

(still love him though)

I just read the article on the Golf Channel. I really find it hard to believe that the camera was 6 inches away from his face when the guy took the picture. How good of a picture would that have been? :bad:

I haven't seen anyone but Daly say it was 6 inches from his face. Think he may have been exaggerating, just a little bit?

As much as I enjoy JD (not the drink, too sweet), This went over the line imo. He's already in everyones radar and if he cares about his future he should be walking the straight and narrow. No reason to destroy others property, even if they are breaking the rules and are totally disrespectful.

Having not gone to a PGA tour event in a long time, are there bags and people searched on the way in?

Having not gone to a PGA tour event in a long time, are there bags and people searched on the way in?

Should be! Every one I have been to will search bags, and cell phones aren't allowed either.

JD is hardly newsworthy, does anyone even care anymore?

Should be! Every one I have been to will search bags, and cell phones aren't allowed either.

JD is hardly newsworthy, does anyone even care anymore?

It seems like every tournament there are tons of people with cameras and cell phones. Does that indicate the screeners are about as useless as they are at the airports?

Neither he nor that story are terribly newsworthy.

It seems like every tournament there are tons of people with cameras and cell phones. Does that indicate the screeners are about as useless as they are at the airports?

Pretty much, I remember going to a concert recently where my GF and I had to take her camera back to the car(she forgot she had it in her purse), yet we were both allowed to take our cell phones in that were camera phones. As soon as the show starts flash bulbs were going off all over the place. Seems like these people aren't doing their jobs.

Paying any attention to this fellow just enables him. He needs help, and he won't get it in the media glare.

I've only attended a few tournaments--once as a sponsor's guest and otherwise as a volunteer. Never ever been searched.

I've only attended a few tournaments--once as a sponsor's guest and otherwise as a volunteer. Never ever been searched.

Having taken my kids to Disney this past year, you don't get into the place before they go through every single bag.

I certainly understand the reason people sneak cameras onto the course, but a rule is a rule (not defending the smashing of the camera ... although I would have done the same thing.)

Back