Tell me about Contacts

bama

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 8.9
Hey All,
As stated in a previous post, I could not drop 5 big ones on my eyes right now.
I used to wear contacts about 13 years ago...

I was wondering if the technology of contacts has changed that much..
Can anyone give me any experience on the newer contacts out there and how you like them??

I would ultimately like something that I could leave in for a month, not have to clean, that didn't get too dry and that I didn't know they were even there....

yeah right...

thanks
bama

Hey All,
As stated in a previous post, I could not drop 5 big ones on my eyes right now.
I used to wear contacts about 13 years ago...

I was wondering if the technology of contacts has changed that much..
Can anyone give me any experience on the newer contacts out there and how you like them??

I would ultimately like something that I could leave in for a month, not have to clean, that didn't get too dry and that I didn't know they were even there....

yeah right...

thanks
bama

A friend of mine who is an eye doctor says to get the extended wear kind that last for a month but to change them out every week or 2. No matter how permeable the lenses say they are,you're still suffocating your eyes for an extended period of time which isn't good.

Here is my experience with contacts.

First I do not need glasses except to read and do close work or work on a computer I'm farsighted. I was told that contacts would be much better than reading glasses and they would make everything pop. Well I fell for the sales pitch. Later found out that you have to give up some vision as far as close or distance when wearing contacts if you are farsighted (was not told this at the beginning). So I tried them for about a year they worked OK wore the so called extended wear type (you have to take them out at night and clean) but can wear for 30 days and throw away. So then I was talked into bi-focal contacts was told these were revolutionary over anything out there DID NOT WORK!!. Was told by another doc. to wear only one contact that would do the trick again WRONG! So I went back to readers about a week ago decided readers just did not cut it any more so I'm now trying to get use to progressive no line bi-focal glasses which I'm finding to be a real pain in the rear also.

So I guess in the long and short of it getting old is without a doudt two :bad::bad: Hope you have better luck.

Contacts aren't so bad. I've been wearing them for 30 years and although they are a hassle, they're not a bad alternative for those who don't opt for lasik.

Today's contact lenses have a higher water content than they did many years ago, so they're more comfortable and you can wear them longer. I never wear my contacts longer than 18 hours at a time - I always store them in solution overnight. I also use disposable lenses, so I have a fresh set every month. They're very comfortable - I often forget I have them on.

I am an older guy, so I still need reading glasses for close-up work or reading, but it's not a big deal.

I wear contacts and never have any problems with them. One thing to keep in mind is that not only have contacts changed, contact solution has too. The days where you had to use seperate cleaners and scrub them are gone.

I wear 30 day Accuvue lenses and buy the generic "no-rub" solution. At the end of the day I fill up the contact case with solution, pop them out of my eye, and drop them in. In the morning I rinse them off with the solution before putting them in. Really, really simple.

I have had absolutely no problems for the last 5 years. At one point in my late teens I gave up on them altogether because I hated cleaning them and had a lot of discomfort.

Go see you eye doctor and tell him what you are looking for. Mine recommended against extended-wear lenses for me, but that was based on the make-up of my tears.

I have contacts I bought to wear when I am outside, they are for distance correction only and they are great for that. Only problem is I can't see anything inside of 6 feet with them in.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend what I do, but this is what I do.

I used to have the AccuVue lenses, which I liked, but I told my eye doctor I wanted something I could keep in and not mess w/ so much. He prescribed the Day/Night contacts. I have had them for about four years now.

I will get a six month supply every time I get a check up. That "six month supply" means about a year and a half for me. I will leave the contacts in my eyes without taking them out at all for at least a month at a time, sometimes two. When I feel my eyes are drying out more than they should be, I know it's time to replace the contacts. I will take them out, wear my glasses for a week, and put a new pair in. So, my eyes tell me when I need to do something. :D

I'm not the kind of guy who follows rules/suggestions very well. :D

But, I have never been good at taking out and putting contacts in. I down right hate it. Always have. I think a 7 year old kid could do a better job than I can at it. Thus, me getting those Day/Night lenses and stretching out their life an extra six months or so. :clapp: If I didn't feel I needed to even have corrected vision I wouldn't, but as pretty blue as my eyes are, they aren't sh*t for seeing. I got sick of having to sit up front in every class back in high school to be able to see anything written on the board. You can't get away with anything or flirt w/ girls while sitting up front. So I said to heck w/ this, get me corrected vision.

To this day my eye doctor hasn't said anything bad about my eyes. I tell him the truth about how I wear my contacts, and he chastises me everytime. But, like I said, I'm gonna keep on doing what I do. :arrogant:

Thanks all for the replies.....
I think I am going to schedule an appointment with my optometrist / ophthalmologist and go over all the options.

The THP community comes through again with some good info..

thanks
bama

I started out wearing soft contact lenses, but just recently switched to hard ones (I did it backwards), but apparently the hard lenses are supposed to keep your eyesight stable :confused2: I also got them in hopes of getting lasic done since you need to have a consistent vision. But now I'm just completely used to them!

NikeGolf your post intrigues me. I would love to leave my contacts in that long but don't you get the suction cup feeling. I can't stand the feeling of my contacts when left in over night. I also hate taking them out but I keep telling myself I only have 1 set of eyes and I haven't heard of eye transplants yet.

Resurrecting this thread for a couple more questions...
I am near sighted. I currently take my single vision glasses off to read anything within 15" of my face..(recent development)
Do they make contacts for this???

My appointment is for 8/26, so I will see what he has to say...Just looking for anymore comments that might help me ask pertinent questions at the appointment..

thanks
bama

I can't say for sure about your first question.

Just be prepared to have a few days where you hate them. They will be hard to put in and they will feel odd, but it should go away.

Resurrecting this thread for a couple more questions...
I am near sighted. I currently take my single vision glasses off to read anything within 15" of my face..(recent development)
Do they make contacts for this???

My appointment is for 8/26, so I will see what he has to say...Just looking for anymore comments that might help me ask pertinent questions at the appointment..

thanks
bama

I'm near-sighted too, my eyeglasses are single-vision, and I do the same as you now that I'm nearly 50 - take them off when I'm reading close-up. My contacts help me see items in the distance. For seeing items that are closer-up, I need reading glasses. I didn't need them when I was younger.

I bought a 3-pack of +125 reading glasses from Costco for ~ $30. I keep one pair at home, one pair in the car, and one in my laptop bag.

So I would go from a set of glasses for far away and nothing for close up to

contacts for far away and reading glasses for close up??

Any such thing as Bifocal contacts???

Man, I'm glad I have good eyes.
Keep eating those carrots, folks!

So I would go from a set of glasses for far away and nothing for close up to

contacts for far away and reading glasses for close up??

Yep, that's what I do.

Any such thing as Bifocal contacts???

There are, but I've never used them. Since this is your first time wearing contacts in 13 years, your optometrist should fit you with trial lenses, for fit, comfort, etc. There's no charge for trial lenses. See if you can try regular lenses and bifocal ones to see which what you like better.

Man, I'm glad I have good eyes.
Keep eating those carrots, folks!

I wish!! I've been eating carrots forever and still have bad eyesight!!

Go get laser eyes. Best thing I ever did with the tax return.

It's so annoying, you are supposed to eat certain foods to help with different things but if you consume too much of that food or vitamin then something bad happens.

What's even worse the healthy stuff is so expensive! You van eat healthy but you'll be poor lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried bifocal contacts and did not like them. I wore contacts for many years, but went back to glasses when I needed bifocals and didn't like the bifocal contacts. I always wore contacts for playing golf, though, but when I really started needed reading glasses to go over the top, I started wearing my bifocal glasses to play golf. My last pair worked okay.

Last November I got new bifocals with a pretty significant change in prescription. I've been wearing them on the golf course since Spring. My ball striking has been really bad all year. I've been hitting every thing fat. I jockeyed my hands around, changed my set up, etc., and have managed just three rounds under 80 all year, and still chunked a few iron shots.

About two weeks ago, I started thinking that maybe my vision was kind of screwed up, and maybe that's why I was hitting so many shots heavy. I picked up some contacts last week, and ordered some prescription cheaters so I can see to fill out a scorecard. My Brother-in-law is an optometrist so it doesn't really cost me anything. I played 9 holes Sunday and shot a 39. Ball striking seemed improved, and reading greens seemed much easier. Since it's been a couple years since I wore them, they were bugging me a bit, but I was hitting balls with my daughter yesterday and they really started to feel good.

Anyhooo, tomorrow morning is the first 18 holes of my club championship, the second 18 is Sunday. I'm hoping the bifocals were part of my problem.

If the contacts work out, I'm going to be looking for some good sunglasses.

Kevin

...If the contacts work out, I'm going to be looking for some good sunglasses.

Kevin

This is my course of action.....hopefully

bama, I wear only one contact. My far away vision is good and I wear one contact for reading, don't ask me how it works, I only know it does. They probably make a contact that you can wear for far away vision. Yes they do make bifocal contact, my wife wears these. If you can get by with one contact, that is they way to go. I have been wearing the one contact for 10 years with no problems.

Back