Must Visit Restaurants in San Antonio, Tx.

kevin81002

Fore Right!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Who knows
Hey hey! My wife and I will be flying in to San Antonio tomorrow afternoon and I was wondering about the food scene there. Anyone have any recommendations? Pretty much anything but seafood.. wife isn't a fan.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There are several places on the riverwalk that are good, but if you're looking for something offbeat I met a friend down there at an outdoor picnic table type place called The Luxury. Lots of good sandwiches and pub food and a great beer selection. We set there for 3 or 4 hours and had a blast.

Keeping an eye out as work responsibilities will have me going there in July and here and there after

There is a plaza called Market Square that has a couple good Mexican restaurants. La Margarita is my favorite and I always order the fajitas or parradilla platter. Mi Tierra Cafe y Panaderia is close by and is better for enchiladas or more authentic Mexican food, they also have a bakery in the front that has awesome Mexican sweet breads. It gets sketchy after dark but that is true for all of San Antonio.

You will end up on the Riverwalk and there are hundreds of good restaurants. I have ate at several there but can not remember the names. If the place is packed you can bet its good. Sitting on the patio sipping a drink and watching the freaks is always a good time.

The Palm there is the best steak I've ever had. Might be worth checking out.

Mexican I suggest La Fogata, not far from airport. For burgers the Bun and Barrel. There is a pretty good Philly cheese steak place I need to think about the name.

Lots of options, depends on area you are in also

There is a plaza called Market Square that has a couple good Mexican restaurants. La Margarita is my favorite and I always order the fajitas or parradilla platter. Mi Tierra Cafe y Panaderia is close by and is better for enchiladas or more authentic Mexican food, they also have a bakery in the front that has awesome Mexican sweet breads. It gets sketchy after dark but that is true for all of San Antonio.

You will end up on the Riverwalk and there are hundreds of good restaurants. I have ate at several there but can not remember the names. If the place is packed you can bet its good. Sitting on the patio sipping a drink and watching the freaks is always a good time.

This^^^

Also another Steakhouse is Bohanan’s that I enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were underwhelmed with most restaurants on the riverwalk, but the Esquire Tavern was pretty cool. Good food and cool atmosphere.

Lulus bakery was a fun breakfast stop, holy cow the cinnamon rolls were huge!

Hey hey! My wife and I will be flying in to San Antonio tomorrow afternoon and I was wondering about the food scene there. Anyone have any recommendations? Pretty much anything but seafood.. wife isn't a fan.

Thanks!

The riverwalk is not good imo for good food choices. Nothing stands out and the food is mediocre IMO.

Traditional Tex-Mex i would try
Rosario's
Mi Tierra (they also have an awesome mexican bakery)
La Margatia

if you like a good burger, you need to try Chris Madrid's

Steak - i'm not sure if you have one where you are, but I love The Palm.

They also have so local chain restaurants that are good. i'm not sure where you are staying, but Pappasitos is probably the best Tex Mex, but it's not on the riverwalk, but worth the drive IMO.

Lulus bakery was a fun breakfast stop, holy cow the cinnamon rolls were huge!
The cinnamon rolls really are huge here, really good though.

Off the Riverwalk I like The Cove; very casual with hillcountry music and a good beer selection.

Lot's off good places at The Pearl; the old brewery modernized.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. We're gonna have to check out The Palm, and of course some of that tex-mex goodness. Were staying on Riverwalk, but we're definitely not afraid to drive a little ways for something worth the drive.

The riverwalk is not good imo for good food choices. Nothing stands out and the food is mediocre IMO.

Traditional Tex-Mex i would try
Rosario's
Mi Tierra (they also have an awesome mexican bakery)
La Margatia

if you like a good burger, you need to try Chris Madrid's

Steak - i'm not sure if you have one where you are, but I love The Palm.

They also have so local chain restaurants that are good. i'm not sure where you are staying, but Pappasitos is probably the best Tex Mex, but it's not on the riverwalk, but worth the drive IMO.

Great minds think alike LOL.

I just remembered a place called Chacho's. This is not a fine eating establishment by any means but they have a plate of nachos that is second to none. They refer to them as piled high and a half order is plenty for 2-3 people. When you pull up to the place it looks like a ghetto Taco Bell but if you try it you wont be disappointed. They have them in Houston as well but the San Antonio location was better.

HAVE FUN!!

Please don't eat at Chacho's while you're here. It's an awesome place for Mexican fast food there are so many places for good Mexican food here that you shouldn't go there.

Mi Tierra
Schilo's

I have sister in Sam Antonio, and she took me to one of her favorites when I was there recently, Two Step Restaurant and Cantina, which is out west of the city. Some BBQ and some Tex-Mex. A couple of really good dishes I've tried there are the Diablo Enchiladas made with their Smoked Brisket, and a Brisket Mac and Cheese with Chorizo. Its out of the way a bit, but pretty good stuff.

What happened tonight is we started drinking at about 4pm, got hungry and started walking down the riverwalk. It started friggin raining something nasty and we ducked in to first restaurant we found, which was Acenar Mexican Restaurant. Not too bad.

1718 Steak House, directly across the street from the Alamo

Please don't eat at Chacho's while you're here. It's an awesome place for Mexican fast food there are so many places for good Mexican food here that you shouldn't go there.

fixedw_large_4x[1].jpg

o[1].jpg

Okay, just go to McDonalds for lunch.

View attachment 39724

View attachment 39725

Okay, just go to McDonalds for lunch.
I've had both of these, their Big Burrito is good too. However, this isn't something I'd recommend to SA visitors, just too many good food choices here that aren't Mexican fast food.

Another great choice is The Taco Garage, and it's near the airport.
Of course there's Alamo Cafe but this one isn't downtown either.

All of the normal recommendations for visitors have been mentioned in this thread...

How did I miss this thread?!??! As some have said, Mi Tierra and La Margarita are pretty solid staple marks of SA. Myself, I live outside of town so my favorite places all have something in common, they're named after a woman and a number. Like Amy's #4. Best damn tacos you'll find!! Of course, you'd have to get about 45m outside of SA to find/enjoy them. When it comes to burger joints I saw someone mention Chris Madrids which is good, but really hasn't been the same since Chris passed away back in 2012. Myself, I prefer Bobby J's in Helotes or the original Longhorn Cafe on Blanco. Yet again, its a bit of a drive from the Riverwalk...like my favorite Mexican joints.

How did I miss this thread?!??! As some have said, Mi Tierra and La Margarita are pretty solid staple marks of SA. Myself, I live outside of town so my favorite places all have something in common, they're named after a woman and a number. Like Amy's #4. Best damn tacos you'll find!! Of course, you'd have to get about 45m outside of SA to find/enjoy them. When it comes to burger joints I saw someone mention Chris Madrids which is good, but really hasn't been the same since Chris passed away back in 2012. Myself, I prefer Bobby J's in Helotes or the original Longhorn Cafe on Blanco. Yet again, its a bit of a drive from the Riverwalk...like my favorite Mexican joints.
We're going exploring today. We might have to hit one of those up while were out and about. We're picking up a friend at the airport around 3:30 so we have some time to kill.

is Bohanan's still incredible? it's been awhile.

is Bohanan's still incredible? it's been awhile.

Incredible or incredibly expensive....

I joke, all kidding aside yea its still amazing. I put it in the category of "an experience" type place to go.

Back