Recommend Venison Backstrap and Tenderloin Recipes?

aggiesam1983

Old Fart and an Aggie
Reaction score
Handicap
7 ish
I have backstraps and tenderloins from last hunting season that I would like to get some recommendations on how THP folks like to cook them. I’ve never cooked them before and I don’t want to waste them. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a friend that would make venison eggrolls, not sure what the marinade was but there was no game taste to them. I will see if I can track it down.

Whatever you do, I'll volunteer to taste test!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I cut them into inch and a half sections like steak tenderloins, then tenderize them first with a fork. Next marinade in Kikomen's marinade mix for meat for half hour in a gallon baggie. Wrap each section with bacon and skewer several together. The skewer holds the bacon on and allows for easy movement to a different part of grill when the bacon causes flare-ups. Delicious. You will never do them any other way.

I don’t know how much it really helps but a lot of folks will recommend soaking them in milk or buttermilk overnight to reduce any ‘gamey’ taste.

I use a technique with beef that my dad used that is just awesome. Rub the meat all over with halved garlic cloves and set the garlic aside. Make a marinade with:

1/2 bottle or more of burgundy (try and use a cheap burgundy like Gallo- you can use any red wine but burgundy is what you want)
A handful of minced dried onion
A handful of dried parsley
A Tablespoon of accent
The cut garlic cloves you used earlier
2 beef bouillon cubes crushed (or a tablespoon of beef base
A little fresh black pepper

Put your garlic-rubbed meat in the marinade for at least 24 hours (48 is better). I promise you it will be fantastic grilled or smoked. My kids call this ‘purple steak’ because it will literally be a purplish color when done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last backstrap I did, I put the whole thing in a bacon weave, and smoked it (Pecan wood). It lasted maybe 5 min, after i took it off, and set it on the counter for people to eat.

I think a lot of venison recipes call for bacon- wrapping because the fat content of the meat is so low. You definitely want to avoid overcooking at all costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butter in a cast iron skillet, cook to medium rare and slice. Simple

We take our tenderloin and cut it very thin. I then take some flour and season it. I use Lowery's, white pepper, dried mustard. You can use whatever seasoning you like. I will use butter flavor Crisco. It has a great buttery flavor but you can get it much hotter than butter. We just coat our tenderloin pieces then cook them in the Crisco. We like them pretty crispy. It is really awesome that way!
d5bc1927b4bc02381151fd643fd7c17a.jpg

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Butter in a cast iron skillet, cook to medium rare and slice. Simple

This is the correct answer. Backstrap and tenderloin should be cherished because they're the best parts of the deer. The hind quarter is nice if you want to try and pull off a roast, but these should just be treated like their beef counterparts. Salt + pepper, and then treated with care in a skillet or on the bbq.
Sous vide if you have one is also good because they're so fragile.

The last back strap I did, I wet-aged in a vac bag in my fridge for 20 days and then just as described, salt + pepper, hard sear in the skillet and then just flipped/rotated it every 30s while the pan dropped in temp and I butter basted it with some whole garlic and cooked to a nice mid-rare and let rest. Sliced it up into medallions and finished with some maldon salt.

Back