Best Way to Cook Hot Dogs

jersey guy here...deep fried rippers baby with some homemade relish.
11849433_1475364579438248_772641911_n-e1449689227963-696x430.jpg

Rutt-DogsRelish.jpg

Slashed & grilled, or if possible, stuck on a twig and roasted over a camp fire.

Grilled and dropped in beer. like brats.

My favorite hot dogs come from the golf course at the turn

Anyone want a hot dog or golf balls?!

Attachments

• IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    410.1 KB · Views: 5
Grilled, with a nice char on them.

I'm gonna go flat top over grilled by the narrowest of margins.

I also like the kind done at the golf course... in the special hot dog cooker with the rollers in it. Those are great!

^^^ THIS ^^^ I will even buy them at service stations because they are cooked on those roller cookers.
Otherwise, cooked on the grill.
It really is all about he quality of the product you are cooking also.

Grilled hands down, but I would eat them cooked any of those other ways too. You left out the 7-eleven rotary heating aquarium.

Grilled hands down, but I would eat them cooked any of those other ways too. You left out the 7-eleven rotary heating aquarium.

I’m with you, any way is really the right way : )

I split them, spice them with McCormick Brazilian steakhouse spice and put a strip of Colby Jack cheese in the middle, wrap with bacon and bake.

Steamed is the correct way to prepare a Chicago dog. I don’t mind some light grill marks though either. Most of the time I am grilling mine. Much quicker and easier.

Steamed is the correct way to prepare a Chicago dog. I don’t mind some light grill marks though either. Most of the time I am grilling mine. Much quicker and easier.
Unless it's a jumbo char dog! Yum

1) Cross-cut on a hot grill so you end up with lots of crunchy edges
1a) Cross-cut on the smoker​

2) Hot Dog Burnt Ends. I tried this on my baby akorn jr kamado smoker, HOLY ... so good. I still suggest you should cross-cut them. The sauce just clings into the crevasses.

Yeah. All of you. You're welcome. :cool:

It really is all about he quality of the product you are cooking also.

Surprised this hasn’t been mentioned yet. Butcher shop dogs with natural casings are hard to beat. Nathan’s Famous or Hebrew National, if I’m grabbing them at the grocery store.

Grilling would be my #1 option but if grill is not available then I go with frying pan and butter.

Best way to cook hotdogs is to grill them. With a side of french fries and some spicy sauce and you have the best food for a snack, picnic and even outside party. (great appetizer) We cook hot dogs all the time. My husband likes to toast his buns. It gives it a nice crunch and the meat tastes amazing in a warm bun. We actually have a conveyor toaster (we live in an apartment so no open air grill and honesty we go through two baguettes a day) which we found online while searching for commercial countertop equipment. it's a little more energy consuming but we have a great toasty breakfast every day.

Last edited:
Lately I have been baking them in the convection oven. I set it at 225 and leave them in there about 45 minutes to an hour. They are about perfect. I always get the Hebrew National Jumbo Beef Franks.

WHEN i ate them.......they were only all beef. I preferred Nathans or Hebrew National. on the grill is okay...nuked if i did not have a choice. But then came the day i bought a used Roller Grill. My backyard parties got so much better. I could load it up, tend to the burgers and they cooked themselves. I could fit 30 at a time on it. Slow cooked was the best, just like at the 7-Eleven.
I passed it on to a friend long ago.

Some of my favorite hot dog options, other than the traditional Chicago Dog.

The Sonoran Dog... lump charcoal grilled dogs and then the toppings to make it a Sonoran...
tIER6Yt.jpg

The Seattle Dog... split and skillet fried... then the Seattle Dog toppings...
qTUTpZt.jpg

Last edited:
Cross cut is the only answer here

The only way to cook a hot dog is on a flat top, ala Nathan’s, but instead of just letting them cook you hit them with some beer and steam them. I am lucky enough to be close enough to the original Nathan’s in Coney Island NY and make a trip there every so often to have that snap when you bite into them. With nice spicy brown mustard, sauerkraut and onions, not raw onions.

Back