Can't get that here!

Absolutely this...
carousel-item-1.jpg
Skyline is way better...

Skyline is way better...
Not when you have family friends that own a Gold Star...but when you live in El Paso I'll take any Cincinnati Chili restaurant.

Not when you have family friends that own a Gold Star...but when you live in El Paso I'll take any Cincinnati Chili restaurant.
Ouch a touch outside the coverage. I actually like gold star very much. It's the only option in lexington. But I used to live 5 minutes from a skyline. Learned to love it. And this is coming from a Texan! Good ol texas chilli is still what I'd pick of the 3 though

When we go back to S Ga & Fl, Krystal's is top of the list for on the road food. It's terrible but I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

White Castle. Or Krystal's as a bastard step child.

Some decent BBQ! Hard to find in Cali.

Runza
Whataburger

When Shane's Rib Shack is the best barbecue in town, you have a problem.

Columbia County, GA has a problem. I'm jonesing for some Brother's BBQ from Pensacola pretty bad today.

When Shane's Rib Shack is the best barbecue in town, you have a problem.

Columbia County, GA has a problem. I'm jonesing for some Brother's BBQ from Pensacola pretty bad today.

Columbia SC has a couple of spots that might work and shouldn't be too bad of a drive right?
Farm Boy, Doc's, and Palmetto are all in Columbia and supposedly really good. Also if you are ever in Columbia for BBq and want a higher end, adventurous food option Solstice kitchen is amazing, the chef Alan and I worked together years ago in Charleston. Tell him Adam sent you.

Really good BBQ in Lexington SC at Hudson's, Belly, and PK which is like 10 minutes closer lol.

I’m really missing Lays Receta Campesina chips and jamón iberica/serrano from when I studied in Spain. I can find the jamón here in CA but it’s so damn expensive and not nearly as good. I recently traveled to Mexico City and they had a bunch of it there. I definately took advantage of that. The chips on the other hand I can find online for almost $40 for 4 bags...sigh

Good Chinese. I lived in the Chicago area for 20 years and got spoiled. The Chinese here in Texas just isn't the same. You can't get a good Egg Foo Young here. The gravy in Chicago was thick and a rich brown. Here is is almost watery and nowhere near as flavorful.

Oh how I miss a good Dim Sum restaurant. 35 years in San Francisco got me addicted to fresh Dim Sum, I can only get frozen here, and it's not the same.

Columbia SC has a couple of spots that might work and shouldn't be too bad of a drive right?
Farm Boy, Doc's, and Palmetto are all in Columbia and supposedly really good. Also if you are ever in Columbia for BBq and want a higher end, adventurous food option Solstice kitchen is amazing, the chef Alan and I worked together years ago in Charleston. Tell him Adam sent you.

Really good BBQ in Lexington SC at Hudson's, Belly, and PK which is like 10 minutes closer lol.

I palled around the Fort Jackson area on full per diem for awhile a few years ago and found some good BBQ joints. It's about an hour, which means when I'm up there I find some good food, but I don't have a lot of reasons to go up there except to take in a football game. I did eat at Doc's a few times. Pretty decent. But a far cry from literally driving past the best joint in town on the way home from work.

Can it count as "good BBQ" if it has a mustard-based dip on it?

a native southern californian. I miss my good mexican food. I cannot find a good beef tacquito in the PNW to save my life. and the guacamole is pitiful up here.

also miss the usual In N Out burger, which will soon only be an hour south of me (hello once a month pilgrimage!)

I also miss the local donut shop in my home town. Nobody makes a cinnamon roll like they do!

Famos Dave's. Its a BBQ chain that is based out of Minnesota and makes decent, quick BBQ. Another is Taco John's. Its basically like Taco Bell but with much higher quality food. Neither of which is available in Ohio.
Another is fish fry. When I lived in Wisconsin, we always went out for fish fry on Friday nights (its a Wisconsin thing) but Im yet to find a fish fry in Ohio that even comes close to what we had in Wisconsin.

Fish fry is definitely a Wisconsin thing and some places in Minnesota have it as well. Now that I’m back living in Minnesota after a 20 year stop in California, I’m happy to trade the fish fry’s, cheese curds, and brats for having way fewer good Mexican restaurants than California. :act-up:

If you're from Western Pennsylvania, you may miss Lemon Blennd:

Lemon Blennd.jpg

We were just talking about LUMS the other day. I remember them from Florida; they had an awesome chili-cheese dog! I rarely eat chili-cheese dogs anymore, and outside of Sonic's here in Phoenix, I wouldn't know where to get one (maybe Fuddrucker's and Cooperstown by the ball park). Anyway, I haven't seen a LUMS in at least 20 years.

Good Australian beer for one (not that fosters junk).. good British Indian curries I also miss; true northern Italian food is not completely absent, but rare to find

Back