BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

No searing...just smoked? Looks fantastic.

No sear on a pork tenderloin for me. By using the glaze we use 1/3 cherry soda and 2/3 Traeger Sugar Lips Glaze, it gives it a wonderful sticky finish that is absolutely perfect.
My father was in town and he is a tenderloin fan and said it was the best he had ever had.

It ended up like this.

89af1abd0c0affe491b1aa373eda384c.jpg

e4469180144e5a10311b0df02d109c7b.jpg

That smoke ring is phenomenal! I bet that was excellent, looks tender and juicy. I’ve got a pork tenderloin is the fridge now I’ll be smoking this weekend, tenderloin is also one on f my favorites.

My Camp Chef Woodwind is scheduled for delivery today. Can't wait to add a pellet grill to my arsenal of cooking gadgets. I have a few racks of ribs and a brisket ready to go for this weekend. Thinking I should pick up a pork tenderloin now too!

Doing a smoked meatloaf today
fca7ecf6ef1b5c3f73d323a804857bfb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew that I was just seeing if you would admit to it

I love turkey bacon of course I am in the minority

Meatloaf is done
78ecdc1b91af21880fec0c4223125ca9.jpg

Im on the fence of fixing up vs. upgrading my gas BBQ. its a basic Brinkman 5 burner plus side burner. We use it often enough. This one is about 4 years old and the wear and tear is showing. all the flame shields are crumbling, the inside is rusty and it really needs a good cleaning on the grates.

DO I buy new burners, shields, grates and clean the crap out of it or upgrade?

Doing some Peruvian chicken on the Big Green Egg. I do my own version of it - with the chickens butterflied. I soak them in cold water with the juice of 2 or 3 lemons in it. Then dry them, rub them generously over and under the skin with a paste made of paprika, garlic powder, cumin, salt, pepper, with some white vinegar, white wine, and a little more fresh lemon juice in it. I actually injected them with a thinner version of this as well this time.

Put the chickens on the Egg (with indirect heat setup) breast up, put cast iron grids on top of them and weighted it all down with a cast iron dutch oven. This is a takeoff on 'brick chicken' which is a technique originating in Tuscany. Chicken cooks up very juicy, with cripsy skin, and the chicken almost falls off the bone. I usually squeeze another lemon over the chicken as it comes off the grill. One of my favorite recipes.

I'm doing 2 five lb chickens at 300 degrees. Plan on keeping them on the smoker for a couple of hours.

That sounds awesome Boone. Need pics when done.

Im on the fence of fixing up vs. upgrading my gas BBQ. its a basic Brinkman 5 burner plus side burner. We use it often enough. This one is about 4 years old and the wear and tear is showing. all the flame shields are crumbling, the inside is rusty and it really needs a good cleaning on the grates.

I went the upgrade route with a pellet grill and couldn’t be happier about it myself. Although I did an extensive cleaning on my old grill and kept it around for bigger cookouts and some stuff that just needs a flame.

Got some of the skin stuck on new grates but you get the general idea :)

6705496b21d091afd04daaf7420d7815.jpg

d0b4e89e719b0812ebcc75a618817d9f.jpg

First run on my new smoker. Baby backs should be ready in about 5 hours.

fca3d91b62d28f6d897f513dfc32e36f.jpg

Nice. Looking forward to finished pics

Upgrade of course

Doing some pork spareribs, one rack based on a Myron Mixon recipe, the other a Johnny Trigg version (yeah, been watching BBQ Pitmasters this a.m.). A little olive oil then dusted both with a mix of storebought rubs...

27d298ee030b4853b3b215a1d36b1672.jpg

ef251974fb198a14607e4eeb7edf1608.jpg

Gonna do 3-2-1 method with both. The Mixon rack will get sauced the last hour with a sauce made of vinegar-based BBQ sauce, hickory BBQ sauce, ketchup, Caro syrup, and peach preserves.

The Trigg one will get sauced as soon as it goes in the foil with Sweet Thai Chili Sauce, Squeeze Parkay, and honey.

Can’t wait to see how these turn out.

Did a little turkey for lunch today, so so good! Much better than a whole breast and definitely better than the whole bird.

1bd8bb3897683ce17048cc6d875082cd.jpg

991e754789b1a6d2e57a1b62941a8d7d.jpg

Doing some pork spareribs, one rack based on a Myron Mixon recipe, the other a Johnny Trigg version (yeah, been watching BBQ Pitmasters this a.m.). A little olive oil then dusted both with a mix of storebought rubs...

27d298ee030b4853b3b215a1d36b1672.jpg

ef251974fb198a14607e4eeb7edf1608.jpg

Gonna do 3-2-1 method with both. The Mixon rack will get sauced the last hour with a sauce made of vinegar-based BBQ sauce, hickory BBQ sauce, ketchup, Caro syrup, and peach preserves.

The Trigg one will get sauced as soon as it goes in the foil with Sweet Thai Chili Sauce, Squeeze Parkay, and honey.

Can’t wait to see how these turn out.

Went light on the rub huh?

Did a little turkey for lunch today, so so good! Much better than a whole breast and definitely better than the whole bird.

Looks awesome.

Looks awesome brother!

The KC rub was quite salty JB. Only way to ruin ribs is making them too salty imho. There’s actually quite a bit on them but the honey garlic one doesn’t show up :)

The KC rub was quite salty JB. Only way to ruin ribs is making them too salty imho. There’s actually quite a bit on them but the honey garlic one doesn’t show up :)

Gotcha. We are Rub snobs so constantly trying and we go heavy

First run on my new smoker. Baby backs should be ready in about 5 hours.

fca3d91b62d28f6d897f513dfc32e36f.jpg

What grill/smoker is that?

Gotcha. We are Rub snobs so constantly trying and we go heavy

That's one area of my game I confess, a little bit at a loss. I mostly have resorted to creating my own rubs. I'm sure there are amazing 'go to' commercial ones out there, probably available only online. But I have no clue where to find them :) Most of my adult outdoor cooking career has been 'grilling' on gas grills. I dipped my toes into real BBQ about 5 years ago with the purchase of a Weber Smoky Mountain cooker. Have made some very good pulled pork over the years. But the purchase of the BGE has really opened things up for me. Did my first briskets over the past couple of months. Still learning, but guess that's the beauty of it. I can only dream of the kind of outdoor kitchen you are working with. Maybe when I retire I'll create my own BBQ Nirvana like you have :)

That's one of the many reasons I read this thread - lots to learn and absorb from all the creative artists out there...

Back