BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

4c69d1ca55295f3371628c0afaa3cbed.jpg

945d1d470bbc642015f51e734ef15c0c.jpg

This was my first run with both the slow n sear and my thermo pro dual probe setup.

I tried to maintain a 225-250 temp zone and that proved difficult. I did use royal oak lump charcoal instead of the briquettes so that may have contributed. I also had to add coals for the last hour or two. Temps swung between 160-325.

It took me just under 5 hours for a 2.5 lb chuck roast. Flavor was excellent. Smoke ring looked really good and it had a great bark. Texture was not what I was hoping for. It was tough and chewy and did not pull apart well.

I seasoned it with my own rub, (smoked paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, celery seed and rosemary). Also added some cherry chips for smoke flavor.

I’ll try again with a tri tip. That is a much more forgiving cut of beef. I also want to try a pork tenderloin and Boston butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve found it easier fill up the slow and sear 3/4 with unlit and 1/4 chimney lit to one side. Briquettes make it easier to control temps. I also keep my top vent at half or less and under the 3rd slot on my bottom. It will get to temp even if it is slowly and spike less. That may not be the same in your climate or elevation though. Once you figure out what works best for you I think you will love it.

So I am “this close” to pulling the trigger on the New Silverbac. Have watched every single video (I think) and read tons of reviews. I still get a little nervous about the whole circuit board, auger, “wild temp variances” thing which is common on any pellet grill I guess. I learned on offset and am comfortable right there, but time and energy are harder and harder to come by for me these days. The Silverbac can really help in those areas.

Why Can’t I pull the trigger? I really don’t think it’s the $. Is it the taste? I just feel like charcoal and wood are so much better. I also don’t want to tend to the fire any more. Tell me what to do - Hot Mess in Memphis!

JM

Moving our outdoor kitchen to the other side of the patio once the ceiling is done (going to tongue and groove wood) has no grilling/BBQ until Wednesday I believe. Once that is done, we have a lot to catch up on haha.

I’m sure it will be awesome. Backyard kitchen is awesome from what I’ve seen.

I’ve found it easier fill up the slow and sear 3/4 with unlit and 1/4 chimney lit to one side. Briquettes make it easier to control temps. I also keep my top vent at half or less and under the 3rd slot on my bottom. It will get to temp even if it is slowly and spike less. That may not be the same in your climate or elevation though. Once you figure out what works best for you I think you will love it.

I filled the tray with the lump charcoal and then lit one corner with my torch. I cook on a wood deck and have no concrete pad to keep a chimney of lit coals handy.

This was just the first run and I was expecting to learn from a few mistakes and quirks. Once I get a system going, it’ll go like clockwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I am “this close” to pulling the trigger on the New Silverbac. Have watched every single video (I think) and read tons of reviews. I still get a little nervous about the whole circuit board, auger, “wild temp variances” thing which is common on any pellet grill I guess. I learned on offset and am comfortable right there, but time and energy are harder and harder to come by for me these days. The Silverbac can really help in those areas.

Why Can’t I pull the trigger? I really don’t think it’s the $. Is it the taste? I just feel like charcoal and wood are so much better. I also don’t want to tend to the fire any more. Tell me what to do - Hot Mess in Memphis!

JM

Don’t worry about temp variances as they are intended to do that. My Camp Chef holds temp pretty consistently when in a normal temp mode. When it is in smoke mode at 225 or less it swings temp intentionally as that is how it generates more smoke output. As long as it averages the desired temp over the cook, which units built with quality temp controllers will.

The biggest drawback in the pellet grill is the sometimes lack of bark it produces.

Don’t worry about temp variances as they are intended to do that. My Camp Chef holds temp pretty consistently when in a normal temp mode. When it is in smoke mode at 225 or less it swings temp intentionally as that is how it generates more smoke output. As long as it averages the desired temp over the cook, which units built with quality temp controllers will.

The biggest drawback in the pellet grill is the sometimes lack of bark it produces.

Thanks for the response. Any idea why the lack of bark? I mean heat and smoke is heat nd smoke right?

Nice! Hope it turns out well for you.

Thanks for the response. Any idea why the lack of bark? I mean heat and smoke is heat nd smoke right?

Lol. Yes and no.

The pellet grill produces a cleaner smoke flavor to me than say charcoal. I find that because of that, pellet selection makes a huge difference in taste....as well as bark formation.

Remember that the pellet smoker is more like a convection oven than a regular charcoal smoker. Not only is the fuel different, but so is heat delivery. They do sound cool when the fan is running high.

225 temp.....going to 140-145 internal (medium). Just about there I think. Right at 2 hrs.

I cooked mine to about 140 the other night and it was perfect! Wife wasn’t thrilled last time I took it off at 135...but 140 was just about medium and the tenderness was perfect!

What rub is on there?

Holy cow is good stuff.

I read about it when I was doing my SmoFry research and used it on that. I’ve used it on chicken too.

Tri Tip ended up medium. Wife was happy! Did the Beef stock w/ Au Jus dipping sauce.

2b2035274d65cbbc5cd30a4c3bab3852.jpg

Looks good. How was it?

JM

Have ypou pulled the trigger on one yet? If you're concerned about temperature fluctuations, make sure that your smoker has a PID controller. A lot of them do but some don't. A PID controller will keep the temperature to within a few degrees either way.

A proportional–integral–derivative controller (PID controller) is a control loop feedback mechanism (controller) commonly used in industrial control systems. A PID controller continuously calculates an error value as the difference between a desired setpoint and a measured process variable.

Have ypou pulled the trigger on one yet? If you're concerned about temperature fluctuations, make sure that your smoker has a PID controller. A lot of them do but some don't. A PID controller will keep the temperature to within a few degrees either way.

A proportional–integral–derivative controller (PID controller) is a control loop feedback mechanism (controller) commonly used in industrial control systems. A PID controller continuously calculates an error value as the difference between a desired setpoint and a measured process variable.

Nothing yet. I spent a few minutes on the phone with Malcom Reed and might be dropping by his place with a friend of mine for some education. PID controllers were a topic of conversation for sure. He actually threw me a curve ball and suggested I look at a custom drum smoker. This has me all over the place now haha. For the money, I can get a drum smoker or an offset rig and a PK grill with grill grates for steaks for less that a Silverbac. The drum or offset rig will require more attention than the Grilla though. Still in a hard ponder.......

JM

Most people that struggle with temp fluctuations haven't cleaned their fire box. Pellets will swing, but they maintain well, especially those with double walled insulation. We have both Traeger and Grilla. The Grilla is a significantly better machine, but both do the job. Mild swings during cook. A good temp device with wifi lets you monitor. Only had one major swing early on and it was from not cleaning box out after previous long cook.

Nothing yet. I spent a few minutes on the phone with Malcom Reed and might be dropping by his place with a friend of mine for some education. PID controllers were a topic of conversation for sure. He actually threw me a curve ball and suggested I look at a custom drum smoker. This has me all over the place now haha. For the money, I can get a drum smoker or an offset rig and a PK grill with grill grates for steaks for less that a Silverbac. The drum or offset rig will require more attention than the Grilla though. Still in a hard ponder.......

JM

Which ever way you decide to go, I'm sure you'll be pleased. I made some St. Louis Ribs yesterday on my smoker and really it wasn't no comparison to when I made them before on my grill with indirect heat. The ribs off of the grill were great and tasty, but in a different ball park to the ribs that were smoked. The ones off of the smoker were really that much better.

Main course tonight will be burritos with some flank steak and chimichurri sauce I did last night. But star of the game will be a couple types of wings I'm doing on the BGE this afternoon.

First up - Bourbon and Soy Sauce brined wings with a very good homemade sauce. And the ones I'm really excited to try, Honey-Sriracha-Lime wings.

Back