BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Finished product

39c98ded6bd2b923b97ceeecb765b948.jpg

a0140a2b6d261fefee640511014a2cfc.jpg

a0becadfd434a4b2d9364e077cd55b7e.jpg

Looks amazing... but the mac looks out of this world!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Mac n cheese was awesome and super easy to make. It had just a hint of a Smokey flavor. It was super creamy.
Looked like you did it up right with extra cheese and little macaroni.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The Mac n cheese was awesome and super easy to make. It had just a hint of a Smokey flavor. It was super creamy.

A work colleague invited me to a bbq... where he smoked his mac n cheese and it was A-mazing!

Made some fantastic ribs last night, best I’ve made so far! Tender and juicy and came clean off the bone, absolutely nailed the time and temp in these. Used a sweet heat rub and some AP seasoning for the rub and added a little Sugarfire BBQ sauce before I wrapped them.

020b6dbe2a979ac5f1c76b5ea41fdf7f.jpg

Spring Cleaning on the outdoor kitchen area today.

055dee5fc83e5ed3685b5e445cecf345.gif

You need more cooking equipment.

I tried to convince the boss of that today actually. Seriously,.

Truth. We went to a BBQ store to get some new rubs and sauces and they had a Traeger on sale and he put the full court press on me on why we needed to get it....we did not get it haha. We have 2 we are good.

I think you really should’ve gotten it. One can never have too much cooking equipment, and plus with the Traeger you could smoke a turducken on one, sides on another, and just because you would have the ability to, a fowl de cochon. ‘

Who does that you ask? Y’all would, if you had the Traeger. But now, it’s got to be up to someone else.

I think you really should’ve gotten it. One can never have too much cooking equipment, and plus with the Traeger you could smoke a turducken on one, sides on another, and just because you would have the ability to, a fowl de cochon. ‘

Who does that you ask? Y’all would, if you had the Traeger. But now, it’s got to be up to someone else.

Hahaha......and no.

Truth. We went to a BBQ store to get some new rubs and sauces and they had a Traeger on sale and he put the full court press on me on why we needed to get it....we did not get it haha. We have 2 we are good.

Really. You should just send me the Grilla, then JB can get the Traeger.

Really. You should just send me the Grilla, then JB can get the Traeger.

The Grilla is not going anywhere.
My plan was to give our current Traeger to someone and get a new one.

The Grilla is not going anywhere.
My plan was to give our current Traeger to someone and get a new one.

I mean, I wouldn’t say “no” to a traeger.

BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Made some fantastic ribs last night, best I’ve made so far! Tender and juicy and came clean off the bone, absolutely nailed the time and temp in these. Used a sweet heat rub and some AP seasoning for the rub and added a little Sugarfire BBQ sauce before I wrapped them.

020b6dbe2a979ac5f1c76b5ea41fdf7f.jpg

Did my 1st run on Saturday w/ the Mixon vs Trigg 3/2/1 styles. Mixon won out w/ me on the 1st run. Tasty & surprisingly good tonight on the leftover run. Threw on some beef ribs too for giggles & were pretty solid.

This is all true. Interesting note is that this store is closing so all rubs and sauces are 40% off and we loaded up on some harder to find items.

Did my 1st run on Saturday w/ the Mixon vs Trigg 3/2/1 styles. Mixon won out w/ me on the 1st run. Tasty & surprisingly good tonight on the leftover run. Threw on some beef ribs too for giggles & were pretty solid.

Nice man! I did kind of a mashup of Killer Hogs and Aaron Franklin on these and it was really pretty simple, total of about 4 hours on the smoker.

I also really want to do some beef ribs myself, I just haven’t found any very meaty beef ribs here at my grocery store...so the search continues!

20190707_182729.jpg

Bought this yesterday. I am excited to try some of the killer recipes in this thread.

I have a request for those of you who have been preparing BBQ for a while. I finally acclimated my kids to ribs. Bought a precooked rack from Costco the other week and they really liked it. Now, I am looking to cook something from scratch with the hopes that it leads to the green light for a smoker of sorts. I was wondering if there was a good recipe online that you all could point me to for ribs. I have a gas grill and an oven at my disposal, so it would have to be relatively simple. Also, my wife and kids are SUPER picky, so it would have to be on the mild side.

I have a request for those of you who have been preparing BBQ for a while. I finally acclimated my kids to ribs. Bought a precooked rack from Costco the other week and they really liked it. Now, I am looking to cook something from scratch with the hopes that it leads to the green light for a smoker of sorts. I was wondering if there was a good recipe online that you all could point me to for ribs. I have a gas grill and an oven at my disposal, so it would have to be relatively simple. Also, my wife and kids are SUPER picky, so it would have to be on the mild side.

@GolferGal has a pretty fool proof one. She can give it to you if she doesn't see this post.

The 3-2-1 method is pretty foolproof although I don't often end up doing it for the full 2 hours in the middle and I highly recommend keeping an eye on things at that stage. I am happy to break down the method if you would like.

As for flavoring, the best thing to do is go with a mild or even sweet rub if that's what your family likes, and then when you wrap use some brown sugar or honey and some soft butter, and then when you take the wrap off use a sweeter BBQ sauce to mop on the ribs, just be careful they don't burn on a regular gas grill since the sugars from the sauce can burn. And before you get to the rub stage, make sure to spray with some Apple Juice every 30 minutes. But like I said, if you want a full details breakdown I am happy to provide it.

Taking down notes and will research the methods as well!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The 3-2-1 method is pretty foolproof although I don't often end up doing it for the full 2 hours in the middle and I highly recommend keeping an eye on things at that stage. I am happy to break down the method if you would like.

As for flavoring, the best thing to do is go with a mild or even sweet rub if that's what your family likes, and then when you wrap use some brown sugar or honey and some soft butter, and then when you take the wrap off use a sweeter BBQ sauce to mop on the ribs, just be careful they don't burn on a regular gas grill since the sugars from the sauce can burn. And before you get to the rub stage, make sure to spray with some Apple Juice every 30 minutes. But like I said, if you want a full details breakdown I am happy to provide it.
Thanks! I can search that method up. I'll let you know if I have any questions.

Does this apply without a smoker?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks! I can search that method up. I'll let you know if I have any questions.

Does this apply without a smoker?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It should work fine without a smoker, as long as you can keep a low temp on your grill. My sister and McLovin both used regular gas grills with this method and it worked. Here is the breakdown:

I do a modified version of the 3-2-1 method. I find that method can sometimes overcook the ribs and they get mushy so I do as follows:

• Remove the membrance and clean up the ribs. I make sure I get off as much fat as possible and I cut off the tiny end bones, they just end up burning.
  • Next I rub a little yellow mustard on both sides of the ribs (this helps the rub stick), and then I do a generous coating of rub. Then I cover with foil and let it sit for a few hours to overnight.
  • When I am ready to pre-heat the grill, I will take the ribs out and let them rest for a bit to come to temp and add more rub if it needs it. I set my grill temp to 235.
  • I put the ribs on the grill meat side up for 3 hours, and after the first hour I spray them with Apple Juice every 30 minutes until it's time to wrap.
  • When it's time to wrap I do a double layer of foil and I put a little margarine (or any soft butter will do) and brown sugar, and then I put the ribs meat side down on the butter/sugar mixture and wrap them up. I then put them back on the grill for 1-2 hours, I usually check after 30 minutes to an hour and than every 30 minutes after that, until they are tender. This is where they pull apart from the bone. Just keep an eye on this, because this is also where you can overcook them and it goes to mush.
  • Once they are tender, I remove them from the wrap and put on some sauce and then put them back on the grill for about an hour to let the sauce set and caramelize a bit. If you are using a regular gas grill, keep an eye on this stage because if you get flareups from the sauce they can burn.
  • After the hour, or when you think the ribs look good, take them off the grill and eat. I know this sounds like a lot, but honesty it's a really easy process.

Last edited:
Back