BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

It should work fine without a smoker, as long as you can keep a low temp on your grill. My sister and McLovin both used regular gas grills with this method and it worked. Here is the breakdown:

I do a modified version of the 3-2-1 method. I find that method can sometimes overcook the ribs and they get mushy so I do as follows:

• Remove the membrance and clean up the ribs. I make sure I get off as much fat as possible and I cut off the tiny end bones, they just end up burning.
  • Next I rub a little yellow mustard on both sides of the ribs (this helps the rub stick), and then I do a generous coating of rub. Then I cover with foil and let it sit for a few hours to overnight.
  • When I am ready to pre-heat the grill, I will take the ribs out and let them rest for a bit to come to temp and add more rub if it needs it. I set my grill temp to 235.
  • I put the ribs on the grill meat side up for 3 hours, and after the first hour I spray them with Apple Juice every 30 minutes until it's time to wrap.
  • When it's time to wrap I do a double layer of foil and I put a little margarine (or any soft butter will do) and brown sugar, and then I put the ribs meat side down on the butter/sugar mixture and wrap them up. I then put them back on the grill for 1-2 hours, I usually check after an 30 minutes to an hour and than every 30 minutes after that, until they are tender. This is where they pull apart from the bone. Just keep an eye on this, because this is also where you can overcook them and it goes to mush.
  • Once they are tender, I remove them from the wrap and put on some sauce and then put them back on the grill for about an hour to let the sauce set and caramelize a bit. If you are using a regular gas grill, keep an eye on this stage because if you get flareups from the sauce they can burn.
  • After the hour, or when you think the ribs look good, take them off the grill and eat. I know this sounds like a lot, but honesty it's a really easy process.
Awesome! Thanks so much. I'm going to try and give this a shot this weekend!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was going to play golf yesterday afternoon but the heat index was 114 when we were going to leave. I opted to assemble the Pitboss and drink some beers instead. Assembly was a breeze and I fired it up for the recommended high heat burn off. After 45 minutes over 500 degrees and some burning paint smell I shut it off and let it cool down. I was surprised that the area near the burner was painted and it was burning and peeling off. Why they would paint this area is a mystery, it will definitely burn and smell bad. There is no way I would cook on a grill that smelled like that fearing it would taint the food.

I took a wire brush and cleaned the blistered paint off and fired it up again for an hour at the highest setting. The paint smell was greatly reduced and gone by the end. After another cool down and cleanup I fired it up and cooked some bacon wrapped jalapenos and pork steaks. There was plenty of room for some corn on the cob and baked beans so I think the 700 square inch model will be a good size for our cooks.

The food turned out great and not having to babysit the grill even when cooking bacon was wonderful. I am pleased with the grill overall with the burning paint being the only negative. I cant wait to use the searing feature on some prime steaks.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Pitboss, solid unit and features for the $$.

Awesome! Thanks so much. I'm going to try and give this a shot this weekend!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GolferGal is spot on. The only thing you might want to add is a smoker box with some wood chips. Only useful to use before you wrap. They sell them at Walmart, Home Depot, etc but here is a picture of one off Amazon. I used to do this before I had a smoker or Weber kettle. The only problem I really ever had was keeping the temp low enough on propane.

3cc90a47565e363d24547ace6c2e815a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple wraps of heavy duty foil with holes poked in it will do the job too. I’ve always found the 3-2-1 method to be way too much time unless you are cooking at 200 degrees or less. For me it’s more like 2-1-30 (minutes). Any more than that and they are going to fall apart.

I know a ton of BBQ folks believe in spraying with apple juice or other liquid throughout the process, but for me I don’t see much difference in terms of taste. I’d rather keep my temps stable but I know I’m I. The minority there.

GolferGal is spot on. The only thing you might want to add is a smoker box with some wood chips. Only useful to use before you wrap. They sell them at Walmart, Home Depot, etc but here is a picture of one off Amazon. I used to do this before I had a smoker or Weber kettle. The only problem I really ever had was keeping the temp low enough on propane.

This is great advice for getting a smokey flavor.

Couple wraps of heavy duty foil with holes poked in it will do the job too. I’ve always found the 3-2-1 method to be way too much time unless you are cooking at 200 degrees or less. For me it’s more like 2-1-30 (minutes). Any more than that and they are going to fall apart.

I know a ton of BBQ folks believe in spraying with apple juice or other liquid throughout the process, but for me I don’t see much difference in terms of taste. I’d rather keep my temps stable but I know I’m I. The minority there.

I agree, the 3-2-1 is usually too much, that's why I said to keep an eye on things once it's wrapped. Many times I have only ended up wrapping for about 30 minutes, it really depends on the ribs that day.

I like to throw 2-3 heads of garlic in with my smoke wood. There is nothing the smell of roasted garlic won’t improve. If I could convince my wife to rub it behind her ears every morning, I would :)

3cc90a47565e363d24547ace6c2e815a.jpg

Does this just sit in the grill? That is a pretty good idea to get that smoked flavor. We have an infrared grill that can be a bear to control the temp on. I have to buy a new thermometer for it as the one that came built in is garbage.

You put it under the grill right on or near the burner...

You put it under the grill right on or near the burner...

Don't know how that would work on ours. i suppose I can remove the plates under the grids.

Just lift the grill and set it on whatever’s covering the direct flame. If not you could try putting on the grilling surface but not sure it will get hot enough there to produce smoke...

Just lift the grill and set it on whatever’s covering the direct flame. If not you could try putting on the grilling surface but not sure it will get hot enough there to produce smoke...

You can also look into something called a smoke tube, they sit right on the grates next to your food. This I just one example from a quick google search https://www.amazon.com/MAZE-N-Pellet-Tube-Smoker-Design/dp/B00CS6YFIC. and https://www.amazon.com/LIZZQ-Premiu...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=STBQGARRJ0N0CPV98DPG

Thanks for the suggestions. I think that can really acclimate the fam to smoked meat. Since the wife and kiddos are as picky as they are, this is a pretty cheap experiment.

Since we're talking about ribs, what's the preference here: Baby Back or Spare?

You can also look into something called a smoke tube, they sit right on the grates next to your food. This I just one example from a quick google search https://www.amazon.com/MAZE-N-Pellet-Tube-Smoker-Design/dp/B00CS6YFIC. and https://www.amazon.com/LIZZQ-Premiu...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=STBQGARRJ0N0CPV98DPG

I use one of these on my pellet grill when I cook brisket. They work well as long as you get them well lit at the start. I have a torch we bought for creme brulee that works great

I use one of these on my pellet grill when I cook brisket. They work well as long as you get them well lit at the start. I have a torch we bought for creme brulee that works great

I have heard great things about them. I am usually happy with the light smoke flavor from the pellet grill so I haven't personally used one, but it's nice to hear another person say they like it. Seems like a solid way to impart (more) smoke flavor.

I used to be a baby back fan, but since cooking them more I have switched to St. Louis style as my rib of choice.

And Iberico of course : )

I used to be a baby back fan, but since cooking them more I have switched to St. Louis style as my rib of choice.

As I take a deeper dive I'm hearing that more and more. But I thought Spare was another name for St. Louis?

JB thinks of everything and we have a thread for that ;) https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...-Cut-of-Ribs?p=6162162&viewfull=1#post6162162

I think the consensus was spare ribs, but not unanimous.

Missed that one. Thanks!

As I take a deeper dive I'm hearing that more and more. But I thought Spare was another name for St. Louis?

Missed that one. Thanks!

St. Louis style ribs come from spare ribs, but with the rib tips removed. It's the way it's butchered. As far as the actual rib meat goes, yes it's the same, just butchered differently.

20140502-291811-how-to-trim-st-louis-ribs-guide.jpg
classifying-pork-ribs-graphic.jpg

I have heard great things about them. I am usually happy with the light smoke flavor from the pellet grill so I haven't personally used one, but it's nice to hear another person say they like it. Seems like a solid way to impart (more) smoke flavor.

I only use it on thick cuts like pork butt and brisket or on really low temps (180 or under) when it seems the grill doesn’t smoke much. I got it when I first bought my pellet grill to use for making my own bacon. On a side note, you can buy really good bacon and making your own was what I would consider, not worth it.

Back