BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

We had a local we got friendly with who took us to a local top notch BBQ place where they served 10-12 different pork dishes (including ‘intestino’ which was delicious btw). Unforgettable meal…

Did a shrimp boil for my Mom's 80th birthday yesterday. We did some chicken for people who didn't eat shrimp.

Turned out great!

51918FB1-84D9-4871-9F57-D1B9D74A15B5.jpeg9608A9F5-1D1C-4A8C-8A1F-3632B5958869.jpegC72F312F-2707-4A22-A52E-552D0690EB79.jpeg

What would that volume of shrimp run where you are? I would be terrified of seeing what that cost up here.

What would that volume of shrimp run where you are? I would be terrified of seeing what that cost up here.

buddy owns a grocery store, we paid $7.99 a pound

Haven't done an overnight cook in awhile. Man, I love this 5.5 year old Recteq

Put these pork butts on last night around 8:30
EBDB9868-3811-4DEC-9783-45834893056E.jpeg5664E963-853C-4928-AF46-8E1A3705CC8E.jpeg801B2E9F-C3F0-42EC-BC71-DCC919B7D20B.jpeg

That’s a great idea, gonna join you
I have a cute little 12lbs brisket in my fridge right now that I plan on smoking on Sunday. It's so small I guess I will have to do it all in one day rather than overnight.

This thread made me hungry so just ordered some tomahawk pork chops, beef, hamburgers, and hot dogs from Snake River Farms. They threw in a couple of filets as a bonus. Will be eating good this weekend!

Got about 20 people coming over on Sunday. It is going to be the first "Big" Cook for the Silverbac.

Just picked up 12 racks of ribs from Costco, and did a test run with a couple of racks last weekend.

I will say, smoking in a pellet grill is infinitely easier than the stickburner.

Got about 20 people coming over on Sunday. It is going to be the first "Big" Cook for the Silverbac.

Just picked up 12 racks of ribs from Costco, and did a test run with a couple of racks last weekend.

I will say, smoking in a pellet grill is infinitely easier than the stickburner.
How are you finding the flavour difference?

How are you finding the flavour difference?

I use a smoke tube with the pellet grill, so honestly, not a ton of difference. The slight trade-off in smoke is EASILY outweighed by the convenience

Going to do some smash burgers this afternoon with burgers I got from Snake River Farms. Tomorrow tomahawk pork chops.

My brisket has been on nearly 7 hours now at 275F in the Summit Kamado and the bark has not even begin to set on the flat... I had the point towards the hotter part of my BBQ so it is well barked over but the flat is so far behind (188F vs. 177F) so there is no way it is ready to wrap at all.

What would cause a bark to take so long to set compared to other cooks?

Last edited:
My brisket has been on nearly 7 hours now at 275F and the bark has not even begin to set on the flat... I had the point towards the hotter part of my BBQ so it is well barked over but the flat is so far behind.

This is why BBQ is so relevant on a golf forum. It's like asking 'how could my swing have been so on yesterday, and today it's nowhere to be found?'.

Got my tomahawk pork chops from Snake River marinating in some lemon juice and garlic. Going to give them a dusting of my favorite pork rub and some fresh black pepper and then smoke them on the BGE in a couple hours.A88E5370-7A51-4215-B294-518A97682552.jpeg

Last edited:
My brisket has been on nearly 7 hours now at 275F in the Summit Kamado and the bark has not even begin to set on the flat... I had the point towards the hotter part of my BBQ so it is well barked over but the flat is so far behind (188F vs. 177F) so there is no way it is ready to wrap at all.

On a serious note - normally I would say you may not have your heat high enough, but 275 is plenty hot. I assume you have not wrapped it? Other than 'not hot enough', only things I have seen cause little bark are either too much moisture (excessive injection or over-basting) or not trimming enough fat off the brisket. Best briskets I have done 'bark wise' were the ones I left alone the most (didn't inject, didn't check on them constantly, no basting, no wrapping). But I don't pretend to be an expert.

On a serious note - normally I would say you may not have your heat high enough, but 275 is plenty hot. I assume you have not wrapped it?

This is 275 as per my Thermoworks Signals unit as well - so it isn't the unreliable lid thermometer!
No I am not wrapping it yet as the seasoning will run right off of it. I might actually consider foil boating it just to protect the bottom and allow the top to dry out some more.

I have two theories as to why this is failing:
1 - I seasoned the brisket on Friday and wrapped it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge so it didn't have a chance to dry out so there was quite a lot of moisture to begin with.
2 - I injected the flat with tallow and there was some spillage so maybe the excess fat on the surface has trapped the moisture underneath it?

Part of me is tempted to flip it so it goes fat side up as the fat is nicely rendered and sticky, and to expose the direct meat side to the heat more.

This is 275 as per my Thermoworks Signals unit as well - so it isn't the unreliable lid thermometer!
No I am not wrapping it yet as the seasoning will run right off of it. I might actually consider foil boating it just to protect the bottom and allow the top to dry out some more.

I have two theories as to why this is failing:
1 - I seasoned the brisket on Friday and wrapped it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge so it didn't have a chance to dry out so there was quite a lot of moisture to begin with.
2 - I injected the flat with tallow and there was some spillage so maybe the excess fat on the surface has trapped the moisture underneath it?

Part of me is tempted to flip it so it goes fat side up as the fat is nicely rendered and sticky, and to expose the direct meat side to the heat more.

Probably wouldn't hurt anything - worth a try :) I suspect the excess fat on the surface is it. Regardless, I'm sure it will be delicious!

Very interesting cook on the brisket yesterday.
Total cook time ended up being 9 hours - I would say that the bark did not really come into its own until about 8-8.5hrs on the top of the brisket but by that time it was crusty on the bottom (probably should have ended up boating it).
The temp ran out around 275-300F the whole time and the meat probed around 205-208 by the time it was pulled. The point was jiggly soft (and overcooked) but the flat was still probing a bit hard in places. It didn't fully drape in on itself and come apart with a nice easy tug, but was still tender enough to eat and as good as most of the restaurants around here. I would not have cooked it any longer for fear of drying it out entirely.

Beyond just eating really heavy, I don't know if injecting the flat with 1C of tallow did anything at all.

More learnings to come...

I wanted to ask those that are MUCH more experienced than I here.

I have used the same Weber Grill for about 10+ years and after replacing most of the items inside, I think it's time to look for a newer grill.

I was interested in a wood pellet, but my wife is worried those types of grills would only have smoked in flavor, and sometimes she is not looking for wood smoke.

Looking for another grill that is going to last many years and can have parts when needed. Suggestions?

These turned out incredible.

I will say my Silverbac isn't QUITE big enough for 12 racks, but we made it work. In the future, I probably wouldn't ever do more than 6-8, which in hindsight, would have been plenty haha

I wanted to ask those that are MUCH more experienced than I here.

I have used the same Weber Grill for about 10+ years and after replacing most of the items inside, I think it's time to look for a newer grill.

I was interested in a wood pellet, but my wife is worried those types of grills would only have smoked in flavor, and sometimes she is not looking for wood smoke.

Looking for another grill that is going to last many years and can have parts when needed. Suggestions?

Depends on what you need. For convenience, quick cooks and getting hot in a hurry, it's hard to beat a good gas grill. My pellet grill can get hot enough with the grill grates in there, but it really does excel at more smoking/slow cook types of situations.

Back