BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

I wanted to ask those that are MUCH more experienced than I here.

I have used the same Weber Grill for about 10+ years and after replacing most of the items inside, I think it's time to look for a newer grill.

I was interested in a wood pellet, but my wife is worried those types of grills would only have smoked in flavor, and sometimes she is not looking for wood smoke.

Looking for another grill that is going to last many years and can have parts when needed. Suggestions?

There are certain pellet units that advertise the ability to grill AND smoke but I believe when you are getting into something like that you are dealing with a compromise - as the pellet grill is in itself.
One youtube video I watched on a broil king pellet grill took 47 minutes to get up to its maximum grilling temperature (and countless pellets) but others have claimed it can be there in 20 minutes.
RE: smoke flavour, it is a known fact that pellet grills do produce less smoke flavour when compared to other forms of smokers so when you are grilling, you might not even notice it - I'm sure others can comment on that.

For sheer convenience, my friends did buy a Broil King Barron pellet grill earlier this year and have LOVED it. It's great for them - they need a low-involvement lifestyle when it comes to these things (whereas I choose the high-maintenance way).

RE: smoke flavour, it is a known fact that pellet grills do produce less smoke flavour when compared to other forms of smokers so when you are grilling, you might not even notice it - I'm sure others can comment on that.

I've cooked steak twice on my pellet grill. Once was a reverse sear, where the smoke flavor was evident. When I did a traditional high heat cook though, you could barely taste any smoke at all. It also took a while to get up to heat and probably burned through a good amount of pellets.

On @JB's advice, I replaced my last Weber gas grill with a Napoleon. I have been super impressed. Mine has 3 rows of burner's (so you can cook indirect), a searing station, an electric rotisserie with burner that runs the length of the back of the grill... it's just an awesome set up. I have a BGE for smoking. I do yearn for a pellet grill and at some point that will happen.

On @JB's advice, I replaced my last Weber gas grill with a Napoleon. I have been super impressed. Mine has 3 rows of burner's (so you can cook indirect), a searing station, an electric rotisserie with burner that runs the length of the back of the grill... it's just an awesome set up. I have a BGE for smoking. I do yearn for a pellet grill and at some point that will happen.
The Napoleons are the category winners for me in the $1,000-$2,000CAD range. The Webers just do not compare at all.
I was fondling the Spirits vs. the Rogues the other day and the Spirits feel like they're made out of beer cans. Even my Weber Summit Kamado S6 (which cost an obscene amount of money) feels cheap.
A Napoleon Prestige P500RSIB is the best new gas grill you can buy for $1,700CAD as far as I am concerned. If I had the coin, the Phantom series would be the one I get, but justifying one at $2,200CAD is a tough move.

The Napoleons are the category winners for me in the $1,000-$2,000CAD range. The Webers just do not compare at all.
I was fondling the Spirits vs. the Rogues the other day and the Spirits feel like they're made out of beer cans. Even my Weber Summit Kamado S6 (which cost an obscene amount of money) feels cheap.
A Napoleon Prestige P500RSIB is the best new gas grill you can buy for $1,700CAD as far as I am concerned. If I had the coin, the Phantom series would be the one I get, but justifying one at $2,200CAD is a tough move.

Agree. They definitely aren't cheap by any stretch.

Argentina red shrimp cooking up on the griddle.

69A928C7-1C5D-4D48-8F51-5AF06CF14DA8.jpeg

A griddle is something that I've wanted for a long time... Unfortunately between the grill and the smoker I'm running out of space!

A griddle is something that I've wanted for a long time... Unfortunately between the grill and the smoker I'm running out of space!
I use it way more than I anticipated, but I totally get the space thing.

I use it way more than I anticipated, but I totally get the space thing.

If my wife would let me I'd keep it in the screened in porch, but apparently that's a no go.

If my wife would let me I'd keep it in the screened in porch, but apparently that's a no go.
Yeah all of our stuff is covered and screened, so there is that

Yeah all of our stuff is covered and screened, so there is that

Yeah my deck has a screened in area, but that's usually where we entertain folks and it's not as big as a lanai or anything like that, so I guess I get it. Lol. Off to find something to make in my smoker this weekend!

I have used the same Weber Grill for about 10+ years and after replacing most of the items inside, I think it's time to look for a newer grill.

I was interested in a wood pellet, but my wife is worried those types of grills would only have smoked in flavor, and sometimes she is not looking for wood smoke.

Looking for another grill that is going to last many years and can have parts when needed. Suggestions?

for me, the pellet is more specialized. if i'm doing ribs or butt or brisket, i like the pellet a lot. i'm not looking for a heavy smoke flavor, and the pellet gives me exactly what i want. i have the grilla chimp, and despite my initial issues (which in hindsight were 100% because i didn't follow directions very well), i love it. for steaks and burgers, i use the kamado. those are the only proteins we do outdoors.

My Recteq will be 6 years old in January. Have only replaced the the temp probe.

We've said many times it's the best cooking investment we ever made. 5 buddies have also bought a Recteq and not a complaint from any of them. I do use my 20 year old Weber gas grill for searing and high temps.

I recommend you check them out...especially look at their customer service and warranty. For the probe I had go out, I left a message on a Saturday afternoon. 5 minutes later they called back and sent the new probe on Monday. Tough to beat.

for me, the pellet is more specialized. if i'm doing ribs or butt or brisket, i like the pellet a lot. i'm not looking for a heavy smoke flavor, and the pellet gives me exactly what i want. i have the grilla chimp, and despite my initial issues (which in hindsight were 100% because i didn't follow directions very well), i love it. for steaks and burgers, i use the kamado. those are the only proteins we do outdoors.

You have three different grills?

You have three different grills?

just two. grilla chimp, and vision kamado. if i had more space i'd ideally like a flat top as well. hell, if i had A LOT more space i'd like to have a nice offset smoker and learn how to do bbq the right way.

Is it possible this is legit?

Rec Teq pellet grills being sold for < $100?? Not sure what a ‘pellet bundle’ is - subscription maybe?

Anyone have any of the grills on sale here?

I got rid of my electric smoker when I moved recently and looking to do some ribs on a standard charcoal kettle grill this weekend until I'm able to replace with a pellet grill. Any tips for managing charcoal and temps?

just two. grilla chimp, and vision kamado. if i had more space i'd ideally like a flat top as well. hell, if i had A LOT more space i'd like to have a nice offset smoker and learn how to do bbq the right way.

We added the flat top and it is a game changer for sure.
Next up will be adding a pizza oven again of some sort, but no reason now due to me staying away from pizza haah.

Rec Teq pellet grills being sold for < $100?? Not sure what a ‘pellet bundle’ is - subscription maybe?

Slim to zero chance those are legit. I'm absolutely jumping on one if anyone can vouch for the site though!

Edit: An image search of the picture of people on their "about us" section is from a blog about successful businesses. I think the slim chance of it being legit just left.

Scammer alert!

I have a big green egg and a Napoleon gas grill and am trying to rationalize adding a pellet grill. Someone give me something to work with here, lol… there’s got to be an angle!

Yup, they sure look like a bunch of good ol boys that know meats and smoking! 😉🤣

I emailed recteq's customer service to let them know about the site. On the off chance that they respond to me that it's legit or there is a real affiliation with them, I'll let you all know (after I've purchased of course :LOL:)

I have seen crazy sales before to move old inventory, but yeah, I would be shocked if that were real. Thanks for contacting them 🤛🏻

I have seen crazy sales before to move old inventory, but yeah, I would be shocked if that were real. Thanks for contacting them

They just reached out and confirmed it’s a scam. Only place they sell is through the main site.

Back