BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

You can control temps by controlling airflow. the lower vent has more effect on temperature and the upper vent has more effect on smoke flavor. more airflow = hotter burn temp, less air flow = lower burn temp. I usually keep my top air vent about halfway open and control temps with the bottom lever.

Get yourself a good wireless thermometer to monitor bbq temp as you will want to be checking every 20-30 minutes and adjusting if necessary.

Adding a slow n sear can be very helpful but indirect cooking can be done without it too.
@jdtox This is exactly what I do as well. Use some nice would chunks with the coals to get a nice smokey flavor.

@jdtox This is exactly what I do as well. Use some nice would chunks with the coals to get a nice smokey flavor.
I in fact did use some nice wood chunks that were from an Eagle Rare Bourbon barrel :oops: The smell was glorious!

Going to try and do some burnt ends with the packer brisket this weekend. Do you usually cook in one piece or cut the muscles in half and cook as two separate pieces of meat?

I in fact did use some nice wood chunks that were from an Eagle Rare Bourbon barrel :oops: The smell was glorious!
WHat!!! where did you get those? Sounds amazing.

@MarMill i prefer to cook whole and then slice the flat off up to the part of the point I wish to use for burnt ends. Cube the point pieces and make the burnt ends according to your favorite method. Let the flat rest while burnt ends are finishing

Going to try and do some burnt ends with the packer brisket this weekend. Do you usually cook in one piece or cut the muscles in half and cook as two separate pieces of meat?
Cook in one piece, then when the whole thing reaches the end temp cut off the point to continue cooking your burnt ends

I make my burnt ends with pork belly, keeping the brisket to slice

Man I should do bbq catering as a side job when I'm out on paternity leave. Local-ish spot, which just closed for what he attributes to the consequences of politics.

FB_IMG_1630000900473.jpg

2 smokes and my vertical has paid for itself

I saw that Royal Oak was releasing charcoal pellets - how do they compare to normal ones? I have a friend with a Broil King Pellet Grill that I have been trying to convince to try them but they're too chicken for no good reason.

2nd update, I put some red baron french bread pizzas on the pellet grill with the royal oak pellets and it was AMAZING!!! I think the bread really absorbed the smoke flavor.

That butterflied chicken looks amazing! Have you ever tried doing one 'brick style' - where you put 1-2 foil wrapped bricks on top? I use a cast iron griddle plate I have. High recommend it - the chicken just gets crispy on the outside, fall apart juicy on the inside.

I find it funny how the bricks don't get pre-heated.

I keep my cast iron griddle plate on the grill while it heats up. It sizzles when I put it on the bird :)

Bacon and cheese stuffed meatloaf with bacon mac n cheese
20210829_171021.jpg

packer briskets I have done as one piece. If I am going to go for some burnt ends I have cut a portion of the point off after 165 temperature internal. Wrap the rest of the brisket in butcher paper and smoke to 205 or done by feel.

Cut the reserved burnt ends into 1 x1 cube. Smoke on grill tray until a nice color. Then put them in a pan with some rendered tallow. Season with sauce or your favorite dry rub. I just use salt and pepper. Smoke at 250 until you are happy. I used the fat I trimmed off the brisket prior to the smoke to make the tallow. Cube up the fat and put it in a pan and place it in the smoker with the brisket at the start of the smoke. I like to season the fat with kosher salt and coarse pepper. Low and slow renders the beef fat into awesome tallow which can be used for the burnt ends finish smoke and other recipes.

Good luck

packer briskets I have done as one piece. If I am going to go for some burnt ends I have cut a portion of the point off after 165 temperature internal. Wrap the rest of the brisket in butcher paper and smoke to 205 or done by feel.

Cut the reserved burnt ends into 1 x1 cube. Smoke on grill tray until a nice color. Then put them in a pan with some rendered tallow. Season with sauce or your favorite dry rub. I just use salt and pepper. Smoke at 250 until you are happy. I used the fat I trimmed off the brisket prior to the smoke to make the tallow. Cube up the fat and put it in a pan and place it in the smoker with the brisket at the start of the smoke. I like to season the fat with kosher salt and coarse pepper. Low and slow renders the beef fat into awesome tallow which can be used for the burnt ends finish smoke and other recipes.

Good luck
What is the best way to store the tallow after you use it?

I'll just leave these here. 250° on the drum for about 5 hours nekkid. Oakridge Secret Weapon was the rub.

PXL_20210828_215329524.MP.jpgPXL_20210828_220802202.MP.jpg

Just put some pig wings on the Recteq 680 🐽

I smoke them at 230° for 2.5 - 3 hrs

BBF74893-E0E2-4F52-BE6F-FD56F835D7E3.jpeg

Not outdoor cooking, but I just installed a new GE natural gas cooktop with a 18k power burner in the house yesterday (replacing an electric glass top) to complement our Weber Genesis II and a Blackstone griddle. I love the options!
2651b7997bbd0c52d9c1eb0f681679a8.jpg
I’d love a gas top in the house… not going to happen living up here though unless I want to invest in some propane action, which would include freezing protection for the tank.

They turned out great 9B70EC82-FF87-4CA0-A339-13902771219A.jpeg

I've got an Akorn kamado cooker. I just picked up a flame boss for it recently. First test of it was beer can chicken and some chicken quarters. I lit some of the lump charcoal with a tumbleweed and told the flame boss I wanted 290*F. Lo and behold, a little while later, it was 290*F and stayed there within a few degrees. I bumped the temp up to 330*F to finish the beer can chicken and crisp the skin.

The 4 pound chicken took almost 2 hours. The quarters were done at just over an hour give or take.

No pics. I didn't think to take any and there weren't many leftovers either.

I'd made beer can chicken before but it wasn't as good as this one.

Just put this pork butt on the smoker. This will be our tailgate meal Sunday for the home opener between the Chiefs and Browns.

1932fc4b83b0e90bfa1534652cbaaa03.jpg

Just put this pork butt on the smoker. This will be our tailgate meal Sunday for the home opener between the Chiefs and Browns.

1932fc4b83b0e90bfa1534652cbaaa03.jpg
Man that is a slow cook for next Sunday. I kid of course….that smoke Is just rolling.

Later today we are grilling pesto red shrimp with honey habanero sausages.

Man that is a slow cook for next Sunday. I kid of course….that smoke Is just rolling.
Haha, yeah, I wish I was able to cook it next week, but we have family coming in from Cleveland for the game and I won't have time then.

I was going to say the same thing! A week long smoke is going to be good.

That looks amazing.

Back