BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

I checked out those articles. Lots of accolades and wins for that guy and I'm sure his technique is well suited for how he does things. I'm a backyard kind of guy. Never going to enter competitions and I'll take what he says, and your advice also and find what works for me.

As long as I've got my flameboss (I'm not using it as a crutch. But I did start a pork loin in my kamado... everything was going well... and then my wife pulled me away for a few hours. When I got home back to the kamado, the temp was over 400*F and the porkloin was toast.:cry::cry: Some creative cutting and we slavaged some of the meat but it just wasn't what it was destined to be...)

Anyway I think I'm doing another pork loin this weekend... I'm not sure, my wife hasn't told me yet.:ROFLMAO:

Grilling up some chicken burgers

099FBFB4-67FA-494E-B953-22B127840324.jpeg

3E1FA9C8-FAD7-41AD-9730-54944B33ECBE.jpeg
Spicy grilled chicken sandwich.

Beer can Chicken, ribs and kielbasa tonight with sweet potato fries
20210919_192302.jpg

16lb prime full packer brisket from a fri-sat cook. still struggling with my flat. can’t stop overcooking it.

CE3729D5-6DE6-4945-86D4-10C46A82A76A.jpeg

Did a mixed grill last night of a Moose sirloin tip, Moose sausage and some chicken legs to feed the whole family and have leftovers for the week.
Funny how I thought buying a 24" grill was ridiculous, but it's so easy to expand to fill it no issue at all.
These were cooked over Weber briquettes and mesquite at 275-300 for a few hours until the chicken was 170F and the roast was 125F, it rested for a bit and then got seared with whatever heat the few briquettes that were left could suffer.
QKHICJc.jpg

WJmzLaF.jpg

Wfejvuj.jpg

rXNjMfi.jpg

Last edited:
Upping my BBQ game by picking up one of these bad boys on Saturday.

41576839_938204519709465_1801802045540270080_n_1_600x.jpg

15421015_10211492176163589_2501378911678848143_n.jpg

Upping my BBQ game by picking up one of these bad boys on Saturday.

41576839_938204519709465_1801802045540270080_n_1_600x.jpg

15421015_10211492176163589_2501378911678848143_n.jpg
impressive!

You guys ever dry brine beef ribs or brisket with salt? I do this with my steaks all the time but I’ve never actually don’t it with a piece of beef I put on the smoker. Thinking of trying it this weekend.

16lb prime full packer brisket from a fri-sat cook. still struggling with my flat. can’t stop overcooking it.

View attachment 9028900
Do you wrap it at the stall? Inject it with beef broth or anything?

Sometimes it's just about a grill having a hot spot and keeping that part away from it as best as possible... but if that happens just cube it up and make burnt ends!

Do you wrap it at the stall? Inject it with beef broth or anything?

Sometimes it's just about a grill having a hot spot and keeping that part away from it as best as possible... but if that happens just cube it up and make burnt ends!

i’ve only ever cooked two full packet briskets. so my experience is limited.

i wrap with butcher paper when internal gets to about 170, but more importantly when bark is forming and the fat is starting to render.

i flipped the point and flat this cook vs last cook and it didn’t change the doneness of the flat.

i’ll just have to try again!

You guys ever dry brine beef ribs or brisket with salt? I do this with my steaks all the time but I’ve never actually don’t it with a piece of beef I put on the smoker. Thinking of trying it this weekend.
I dry brined some pork shoulders earlier in the year for 24 or 48hrs and while the flavour was definitely saltier, I did notice that it was less smokey than the others that just received seasoning and then were smoked. This is because that super dry crust you achieve by dry brining and fridging inhibits smoke flavour due to the skin that is formed. You could possibly pre-season and then wrap in Saran (Harry Soo does this) to avoid this issue but I haven’t tried yet.
Here’s more on the topic: Amazing Ribs on Brines

i’ve only ever cooked two full packet briskets. so my experience is limited.

i wrap with butcher paper when internal gets to about 170, but more importantly when bark is forming and the fat is starting to render.

i flipped the point and flat this cook vs last cook and it didn’t change the doneness of the flat.

i’ll just have to try again!
Yeah maybe just a small tweak, or a little lower temp?

It's been a while since done a brisket, I can't find them around me without being gouged in price :mad: even Walmart is like $5/lb for the whatever is lower than choice

did some 321 ribs tonight, but did harry soo’s version instead of my normal way.

* rub the night before.
* 3 hours on the smoker at 180. spritz with water every 30 minutes. the crust almost looked burnt and i was nervous, but ended up being perfect.
* wrap in foil with brown sugar, butter, agave syrup, and cayenne. harry sifts his brown sugar, and uses spray butter. i just did pats of unsalted butter, crumbled brown sugar, and some extra rub. then i drizzled the agave syrup on the ribs. no one else in my family likes heat so i didn’t do the cayenne. i also didn’t season the bone side. cook in oven at 225 for 2 hours.
* sauce with some added honey. smoke at 180 for 1 hour until sauce sets. i didn’t add honey here. instead i added the melted butter and rendered seasoned fat from the foil juices to the sauce then slathered both sides.

these were the juiciest ribs i’ve ever made. smoke ring was really strong. flavor was spectacular. for my own ribs, i added some ghost pepper wing sauce into the bbq + foil drippings to get some heat, and it was divine.

423B221B-EB7A-45DB-B732-9E56E75B212E.jpeg

Made the 888 mile round trip safe and sound. I'm playing today so I'll be firing it up next weekend to see what's what.

PXL_20210925_150855971.MP.jpgPXL_20210925_220730951.MP 2.jpgPXL_20210925_220741467.MP 2.jpgPXL_20210925_220752048.MP 2.jpgPXL_20210925_221346878.MP 2.jpg

did some 321 ribs tonight, but did harry soo’s version instead of my normal way.

* rub the night before.
* 3 hours on the smoker at 180. spritz with water every 30 minutes. the crust almost looked burnt and i was nervous, but ended up being perfect.
* wrap in foil with brown sugar, butter, agave syrup, and cayenne. harry sifts his brown sugar, and uses spray butter. i just did pats of unsalted butter, crumbled brown sugar, and some extra rub. then i drizzled the agave syrup on the ribs. no one else in my family likes heat so i didn’t do the cayenne. i also didn’t season the bone side. cook in oven at 225 for 2 hours.
* sauce with some added honey. smoke at 180 for 1 hour until sauce sets. i didn’t add honey here. instead i added the melted butter and rendered seasoned fat from the foil juices to the sauce then slathered both sides.

these were the juiciest ribs i’ve ever made. smoke ring was really strong. flavor was spectacular. for my own ribs, i added some ghost pepper wing sauce into the bbq + foil drippings to get some heat, and it was divine.

View attachment 9030131

That wrap setup is similar to what I've been doing and I have been pleased with mine. Brown sugar, butter, drizzle of honey and some more of whatever rub I used. Done it twice this way and haven't had to sauce or set anything. I offer up extra sauce for folks, but the ribs are usually wolfed down as is.

* rub the night before.

View attachment 9030131

I wish my kamado would run into the 100s so I could smoke salmon and cheese and such - I saw his video and it intrigued me.

Sunday supper was an early thanksgiving for the family as my brother is moving away at the start of next month and will miss real thanksgiving, so we did a 5 bone rib roast (and some chicken wings for my lunch this week) over weber briquettes, cherry and mesquite.

Smoked at 275-300 for 2.5ish hours to 125F internal then rested an hour. Absolutely delightful
fAgBYeI.jpg

svxuazo.jpg

PHeyerl.jpg

I wish my kamado would run into the 100s so I could smoke salmon and cheese and such - I saw his video and it intrigued me.

i cheated and did mine on the grilla chimp electric smoker. i have done extended cooks on the kamado, but it's a pain and takes a ton of babying. definitely a more pronounced smoke flavor, though. now you have me wanting to do a pork butt this weekend...

i cheated and did mine on the grilla chimp electric smoker. i have done extended cooks on the kamado, but it's a pain and takes a ton of babying. definitely a more pronounced smoke flavor, though. now you have me wanting to do a pork butt this weekend...

The pronounced smoke flavour is one that I want to play with.

So many people say that the Kamado is happiest running 250+ to achieve a clean smoke/combustion flavour. As just a backyard hack, I like to think that smokier is better, but that is not the rule in competition. I would love to do a hot & fast vs. low & slow side by side to see what flavours my grill puts out.

The pronounced smoke flavour is one that I want to play with.

So many people say that the Kamado is happiest running 250+ to achieve a clean smoke/combustion flavour. As just a backyard hack, I like to think that smokier is better, but that is not the rule in competition. I would love to do a hot & fast vs. low & slow side by side to see what flavours my grill puts out.

i didn't even know clean smoke was a thing until recently, but it explains some of the off flavors i've gotten from cooks in the past.

anybody do their pork butt completely naked? no rub. no injection. just meat on the smoker, then season after shredding?

That's an interesting idea - I wonder what would happen? You could really test the theory around rub helping smoke adhere to the meat and form the bark.

Realistically, salt can only penetrate so far in meat so seasoning it after would still probably taste good as long as you use a salty enough liquid/sauce to season the batch. I typically only use a vinegar based mop sauce when I am shredding so I'd have to amp up the salt to deal with that.

That's an interesting idea - I wonder what would happen? You could really test the theory around rub helping smoke adhere to the meat and form the bark.

Realistically, salt can only penetrate so far in meat so seasoning it after would still probably taste good as long as you use a salty enough liquid/sauce to season the batch. I typically only use a vinegar based mop sauce when I am shredding so I'd have to amp up the salt to deal with that.

i just watched another harry soo video and he did this. he did 3 different butts: one with his rub and kosmos injection, one with s, p and garlic powder, and one with nothing. he preferred the one with nothing. i might give this a go over the weekend and report back.

i just watched another harry soo video and he did this. he did 3 different butts: one with his rub and kosmos injection, one with s, p and garlic powder, and one with nothing. he preferred the one with nothing. i might give this a go over the weekend and report back.

I will have to watch this - can you share a link?

While at a BBQ competition a few weeks back, I walked away with some leftover meat that had been given the full competition treatment with injections and I noticed that by day 2 or 3, the leftover pork butt that had been injected started to taste like ham and the brisket started to taste like beef jerky as a result of all the seasoning/nitrates in there that were curing them. Really put me off injections for home use as I am typically eating BBQ for 3-5 days afterwards.

Back