BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

I will have to watch this - can you share a link?

While at a BBQ competition a few weeks back, I walked away with some leftover meat that had been given the full competition treatment with injections and I noticed that by day 2 or 3, the leftover pork butt that had been injected started to taste like ham and the brisket started to taste like beef jerky as a result of all the seasoning/nitrates in there that were curing them. Really put me off injections for home use as I am typically eating BBQ for 3-5 days afterwards.

anybody do their pork butt completely naked? no rub. no injection. just meat on the smoker, then season after shredding?

I do sometimes. Except I don't season it after.

I make a Carolina sauce, and a Texas sauce, and let people decide for themselves.

I run a stick burner, so this whole smoke "Sticking" thing isn't a concern.

I do sometimes. Except I don't season it after.

I make a Carolina sauce, and a Texas sauce, and let people decide for themselves.

I run a stick burner, so this whole smoke "Sticking" thing isn't a concern.

i couldn’t get on board with no seasoning so i did s & p only. decided to go kamado today, and it took some babying but went ok. probably cooked a little hotter than i would have liked, but the bark seemed to do fine. pulled it after 6 hours. it’s in the oven now coming up to temp then i’ll rest it for 2-3 hours. i made a carolina vinegar sauce, so we’ll see how that turns out. fun day so far.

2E83222C-1DCF-4ECA-B307-A18DAAD6BBEF.jpeg

i couldn’t get on board with no seasoning so i did s & p only. decided to go kamado today, and it took some babying but went ok. probably cooked a little hotter than i would have liked, but the bark seemed to do fine. pulled it after 6 hours. it’s in the oven now coming up to temp then i’ll rest it for 2-3 hours. i made a carolina vinegar sauce, so we’ll see how that turns out. fun day so far.

View attachment 9031655

My go to for butt and ribs now is spgp (salt pepper garlic powder paprika)

Hits great everytime.

Got a new Napoleon grill on end of year clearance, it was missing the regulator that someone had ripped off. A new one is on backorder but hopefully coming soon. Will be nice to have a grill with a functional igniter again.

Spares with Oakridge Saigon 21 rub, Wampus beans and melting potatoes.

PXL_20211002_171620556.MP.jpg

PXL_20211002_171613635.MP.jpg

PXL_20211002_173937167.MP.jpg

PXL_20211002_221606585.MP.jpg

16lb prime full packer brisket from a fri-sat cook. still struggling with my flat. can’t stop overcooking it.

View attachment 9028900

Even dry brisket is pretty damn good. I have struggled with this as well (in fact, did a whole packer yesterday and although the burnt ends I made from the point were incredible, the flat was overdone). My general approach is to inject, rub, smoke on low 200-225 till I hit 170 degrees, then wrap in pink butcher paper up to 195 and rest for a couple hours. I've had 'the best brisket of my life' by that method, and I've had totally dried out. I do use MEATER block probes so I can see internal and external temps (although the MEATER external temp never matches the BGE temp which makes it hard to know which one to trust).

I really wonder if the level of moisture in the finished product isn't highly reliant on the quality of the cut as much as anything. I've had a lot of variability in finished product that I can't otherwise explain. I like using pink butcher paper because it retains moisture and the bark is better , but it also soaks up a ton of the juices (like a sponge really). My briskets were much juicier when I finished in aluminum foil - so maybe I need to go back to that. I've also gotten into the habit of trimming off as much fat as I can and that may be contributing to them being overdone/drier?

I prefer to do just brisket flats vs. packers, but unless I want to drive 40 min to Costco, I can't find anything but big packers where I'm located. I typically cook the whole thing together, but that just complicates the issue of 'when is it done'. I think going forward if I'm cooking a packer I am going to separate them up front and cook them separately.

Brisket is a challenge :cool:

Even dry brisket is pretty damn good. I have struggled with this as well (in fact, did a whole packer yesterday and although the burnt ends I made from the point were incredible, the flat was overdone). My general approach is to inject, rub, smoke on low 200-225 till I hit 170 degrees, then wrap in pink butcher paper up to 195 and rest for a couple hours. I've had 'the best brisket of my life' by that method, and I've had totally dried out. I do use MEATER block probes so I can see internal and external temps (although the MEATER external temp never matches the BGE temp which makes it hard to know which one to trust).

I really wonder if the level of moisture in the finished product isn't highly reliant on the quality of the cut as much as anything. I've had a lot of variability in finished product that I can't otherwise explain. I like using pink butcher paper because it retains moisture and the bark is better , but it also soaks up a ton of the juices (like a sponge really). My briskets were much juicier when I finished in aluminum foil - so maybe I need to go back to that. I've also gotten into the habit of trimming off as much fat as I can and that may be contributing to them being overdone/drier?

I prefer to do just brisket flats vs. packers, but unless I want to drive 40 min to Costco, I can't find anything but big packers where I'm located. I typically cook the whole thing together, but that just complicates the issue of 'when is it done'. I think going forward if I'm cooking a packer I am going to separate them up front and cook them separately.

Brisket is a challenge :cool:

you may be onto the something. the brisket i did that was amazing was a snake river farms american wagyu gold grade. the one i just did was a prime from a local butcher. still good but i think i overcooked it. i too wrap in butcher paper, but i’m not as focused temp as i am on fat and color.

for my next attempt, i might use the kamado instead, and i’ll pull at a lower temp.

I have tried to cheats from Harry Soo to keep the flat moist. Number one is to take some wood chunks and put them under the flat to make them even height with the point. Number two and can also be used in conjunction with number one is to wrap the flat portion early with foil To try and retain as much moisture as possible. Results have been pretty good for me.

crisped up some leftover pulled pork in the oven. put it on street tacos with some pickled red onion, raw vidlia onion, tomato, and crema. my goodness these were insanely delicious.

Trying a few Detroit style pizzas on Traeger tonight. Starting the first one now:
5E83FEF6-695B-4039-B8E0-767EEFF17E24.jpeg

Trying a few Detroit style pizzas on Traeger tonight. Starting the first one now:
View attachment 9031930
First one came out good. My wife’s first attempt at homemade pizza dough. It might have risen too much, but still looks great. We will sauce at the end after 2nd pizza is done.
E6691FEC-D90C-4C3B-A129-89D1F1609C4B.jpeg
A66B6A62-CE06-4922-95B1-B982003B294A.jpeg

Last edited:
Pizza #2 is going on:
B3AC9761-7646-4EEC-B43E-6F9B06A91B85.jpeg
6DE7DBC1-3D39-446A-BA44-D050F693258F.jpeg
this one looks good
F30FC49F-405A-4979-B8AB-C72732E49406.jpeg
AF35727D-5EA2-4E25-89E9-E7004FB2A117.jpeg

Last edited:
Well Recteq guys, I’ve officially joined the club! Been pondering for quite a while and finally made the plunge with the $100 off offer for the 590. Any advice as a new pellet grill owner?

Here's the recipe: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1689719&postcount=1 You absolutely can't taste the peaches, so don't let that throw you off.

Thank you.
By fatty, he means the point of a brisket right? The amount of sweet happening in there scares me a bit.

This weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving so I will be giving a turkey another go on the Kamado. Last time I had issues obtaining and holding a higher temp due to using too much recycled fuel. This time I will be using all fresh so hopefully it goes better.
I think I will just keep it simple - dry brine and a herb seasoning. No injections or wet brines.

Back